SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch Qustion

Ninety Caliber Al, 50218

I'm not a Wild Bunch shooter but I've kept a casual eye on it.  Based on my observation I'd say you'd do well to have one magazine in your gun and carry four reloads.  (Obviously you'll want to have a couple of spares in your gun cart in case of magazine failure during the match.)

Now that 7 round magazine load-outs are common, our local matches, NM and AZ state matches, WR and EOT have been running from between 21 at the LOW end to 42 at the HIGH end of pistol rounds per stage.  The high end count usually are found on "all pistol" stages. 

If you are figuring out a belt/magazine holder design, allow for 6 magazines and you may still need to stash a spare magazine (on a shooting platform, in pocket, etc) in case you have some failures.

If you are buying a supply of magazines to get started with, I'd suggest 12 minimum.

Good luck, GJ

As already stated:  42 on a pistol only stage, 28 or 35 on a stage with 2 guns and either 21 or 28 on a stage with 3 guns is very common.  I always carry 6 in pouches and 1 to the loading table so a total of 7 mags for every stage regardless of the round count. I have 12 Tripp mags that I rotate for Wild Bunch.

In the matches I shoot, it's been common for 21-28 rounds with some stages at 35-42.  I can't recall a stage with less than 21 since we switched to 7 rounds per mag.

I tell ya, when you shoot WB one day and then CAS the next, it kinda feels like i'm being shorted only getting to shoot 24 TOTAL rounds in a CAS stage. ;)

Totes

2 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

In the matches I shoot, it's been common for 21-28 rounds with some stages at 35-42.  I can't recall a stage with less than 21 since we switched to 7 rounds per mag.

I tell ya, when you shoot WB one day and then CAS the next, it kinda feels like i'm being shorted only getting to shoot 24 TOTAL rounds in a CAS stage. ;)

Totes

Maybe they’ll let us start carrying three holstered revolvers. That would be fun.

Thanks for all the replies! I’ve just shot it once so far, but gonna start shooting it monthly, so trying to get a feel for how much 45 acp  to load. Seems the one match I shot , rifle strings were 7 rounds....? No clue why.

4 minutes ago, Ninety Caliber Al, 50218 said:

Seems the one match I shot , rifle strings were 7 rounds....? No clue why.

So the match officials could let the shooter shoot one target set with both rifle and pistol and have the same sequence on both.  Makes it easier on the shooter AND the match director!  Keeps the required target count down to minimum, too.

how much 45 cap to load

Load .45 AUTO.   .45 ACP is a pretty obsolescent term for the .45 AUTO cartridge.   :lol:

Good luck, GJ

2 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

So the match officials could let the shooter shoot one target set with both rifle and pistol and have the same sequence on both.  Makes it easier on the shooter AND the match director!  Keeps the required target count down to minimum, too.

Load .45 AUTO.   .45 ACP is a pretty obsolescent term for the .45 AUTO cartridge.   :lol:

Good luck, GJ

Well I’m a pretty obsolescent dude lol

Six stage match - I take 300 rounds for 1911.  I always get to bring a few back.  Better than sitting out the last stage.  :lol:

Archived