SASS Wire Forum

Henry Big Boy Rifle Use?

La Vista Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paid attention at a shoot yesterday. Probably 2 Henry's out of 20 shooters. 

One in particular had some issues where the empty was not fully ejected from the chamber, causing a jam when trying to lever in the next round. I can't say whether he didn't work the lever the full range of motion or something else, but several times the empty was stove-piped while trying to cram in the next round.

The other one seemed to work OK, but the particular shooter was very deliberate, and not shooting really fast.

Thanks fellow Cowpokes for all the useful information!

I'll have an article out on Henry Repeating Arms Co. in an upcoming issue of GUNS OF THE OLD WEST magazine.

LaVista Bill SASS #11869

24 minutes ago, La Vista Bill said:

Thanks fellow Cowpokes for all the useful information!

I'll have an article out on Henry Repeating Arms Co. in an upcoming issue of GUNS OF THE OLD WEST magazine.

LaVista Bill SASS #11869

Just remember that Henry rifles are good shooting quality rifle. Cowboy Action Shooters are a small population when compared to the whole population of lever gun buyers.

Phantom

On 7/31/2018 at 2:28 PM, La Vista Bill said:

Hello the campfire! I'm interested in learning how many cowfolks out there regularly use Henry Repeating Arms lever-guns in CAS competition? If you use one or have an idea of the number or percentage of Henrys used during your club's CAS matches, please respond to this thread.  

Thank you in advance!

LaVista Bill SASS #11869

We have one shooter that uses a Henry Big Boy.  He usually runs 50-60 seconds per stage.  His goal is to shoot clean.  I'm glad he comes out to shoot with us.  Like Phantom said, everybody is in this for fun, which means different things to different people.  Me, I'm in my first year of shooting.  I'm just trying to find my groove right now, competing against myself, trying to see what works and what doesn't.  I'm shooting in the middle of the pack, fumbling my way through hiccups and procedurals.  But every once in a while I nail a good stage in the mid-20's.  My rifle is a Marlin '94

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, Ace_of_Hearts said:

I don't know by what authority anything is "endorsed". (Unless it has a SASS Logo permanently embossed into it)

If we are talking about rifles and individual Cowboy/Cowgirls saying they like them, you will be hard pressed to find any of these same people using an unmodified factory rifle in competition. They all require some modification in order to make them work smoother/faster in order to be competitive.

In the case of the Henry Big Boy, you can only find after market ejectors and adjustable hammer springs. The action, although very similar to the Marlin, works in a manner that bounces the loaded round on the carrier and the faster you operate it the more prone it becomes to malfunctioning. 

You refer to my quote re Marlins:

"But the new Marlins aren't endorsed either. The newer Rossis with safeties get disrespected. I hesitate when we suggest a rifle we wouldn't want to shoot personally."

This group parses and quibbles to a fault. Bored, I guess. Endorsement requires no authority. Endorse is just a synonym for Recommend. There are many instances of people citing issues with new Marlins, tagging them as Remlins in a pejorative manner, and holding up what are referred to as JM Marlins as the guns to own. My own Remlin 44 runs pretty well, but it has never been run hard. I am an Elder Statesman, and my Marlin is just a backup..

Archived