SASS Wire Forum

Henry Big Boy Rifle Use?

La Vista Bill

Hello the campfire! I'm interested in learning how many cowfolks out there regularly use Henry Repeating Arms lever-guns in CAS competition? If you use one or have an idea of the number or percentage of Henrys used during your club's CAS matches, please respond to this thread.  

Thank you in advance!

LaVista Bill SASS #11869

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shot my first 1 1/2 stages with one 5 1/2 years ago. Hung up & finished my first match with a borrowed 73. Everybody clued me in that my shiny Big boy wouldn't be able to handle any speed. The Big Boy has been in the safe ever since, still shiny. Looks cool. Just can't compete with it.

Since I started this game, I have heard the same "Henry big boy is not for cas" argument. I never tried one then nor have I tried one since. I do know at least half a dozen people that have them and use them regularly in cas. Not one of those fellows has uttered a bad word about them and at least two are much faster shooters than I am. I still wouldn't buy one, mostly because I like loading through the gate on the side, plus I prefer using arms that are at least replicas of something that existed, but if the choice came down to a HBB and play the game now, or a 73 a year and play a from now, I would take the HBB.

A new shooter at our club uses one. He has fun. The one issue he has had is the magazine follower rod shot out of the gun while he was at the loading table. It was a bit embarrassing for him but luckily a lead splatter curtain caught it so it didn't go all the way down range.

If you already have one, play with it until you decide what you really want to do. If you don't have one, save your money and buy a 66 or 73.

That being said, I have a Henry "Original" by HRA that is beautiful and fun to shoot. It is historically correct and I can load an extra round on the clock almost as fast as the 66 and 73 shooters. (Some stages require 10+1 rifle shots, with one being loaded on the clock.)

2 hours ago, La Vista Bill said:

Hello the campfire! I'm interested in learning how many cowfolks out there regularly use Henry Repeating Arms lever-guns in CAS competition? If you use one or have an idea of the number or percentage of Henrys used during your club's CAS matches, please respond to this thread.  

Thank you in advance!

LaVista Bill SASS #11869

I don't have much knowledge of the BIG BOY usage.

BUT, I can attest that there are more than a handful of YOUNG shooters using the 'Widder Soft Stroke'  Henry lever .22 in their SASS competitions.

AND...the Soft Strokes are VERY fast and competitive .22 lever rifle.

..........Widder

16 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I don't have much knowledge of the BIG BOY usage.

BUT, I can attest that there are more than a handful of YOUNG shooters using the 'Widder Soft Stroke'  Henry lever .22 in their SASS competitions.

AND...the Soft Strokes are VERY fast and competitive .22 lever rifle.

..........Widder

Not to hijack the thread, but what's a "Widder Soft Stroke"? And could it be done to a 38/357?  Asking for a friend.

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Percentage of shooters around here who use one is 0. 

Same percentage around here. one new shooter used one for several months before he gave up and bought a '66, he wanted to stay with the brass look. That was several years ago and he has never looked back.

Randy

2 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Not to hijack the thread, but what's a "Widder Soft Stroke"? And could it be done to a 38/357?  Asking for a friend.

To my knowledge Widder has only done it on a .22. Widder also came up with the angle feed Widdermatic conversion for the Marlin so I think if Widder had come up with anything for a Big Boy it would already be out.

Randy

Up here it seems about one in 200 shooters mostly new-bees try and run them, about 99% of those get ride of their Big boys in under 2 years ...

Jabez Cowboy

I have one and I used it for about 6 months before getting a Miruku '73.  Personally it shoots fine, but it a pain to load, and I can and have out run the gun on occasion.  It's usually in my kit as a backup.

If you're the kind of shooter that will aim each shot, it runs fine, but if you're throwing the bead at the plate, and racking as fast as you can, you'll jam yourself up by the third or forth shot especially if you're in a dump sequence on the same plate.

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Percentage of shooters around here who use one is 0. 

That would be incorrect.

I have used a big boy and a original Henry.  The Big Boy was alright but I started to outrun it.  I now use Marlin (JM) with a Pedersoli Lightning as backup.

I like the original Henry but a bit heavy and then someone came along that I sold it to to get something else.  That was before I started Wild Bunch and sort of wish I had not parted with it but hey that's life. 

There was one other pard that used a Big Boy and it jammed up (45 Colt) on its very first outing.  To say the least he has never brought it back since then.

Bottom line, nice rifles, good consistent levering can make them work but as mentioned no one is really working on them.

The HRAC Original Henry is beautifully made and worked like an absolute charm. 

I have no experience with the 22s but just hearsay that they are good.

Just watched a 45 Colt run OK. Not fast but it worked. Last month we got to watch one break on it's first stage ever. That one was a .357

I used one in .357 for about 6 months when I first started. It was very, very cartridge length sensitive. Even when I finally got the OAL dialed in, it still choked on occasion. I sold it and bought  Browning 92, which although is still picky about cartridge length, served me very well for the next 5 or 6 years.

As one who often shoots an Uberti 1860 Henry, I don't understand the knock against them about loading from the front end of the mag tube. At least there's no follower to let loose of and slam against a stack of cartridges.

They're good rifles for plinking, but aren't well-suited for our game. Newbies buy them because this is an expensive game to enter and the price is attractive. I'd recommend something else (if asked) and their budget permits, but I won't criticize someone who buys one anyway. I know shooters who've outgrown them quickly, and others who are perfectly content with' em.

P.S., comparing the Big Boy and .22 Lever Action is apples and oranges. The .22 is sweet, IMHO

Sounds like SASS would do newbies a favor to withdraw approval of HRA rifles except 22s, implying a new shooter's money is better spent elsewhere. The problem of course is the budget for starting out. Perhaps clubs could do more with loaners, even gear package financing by SASS HQ.

Looking at the prices on GB for new and used Henry Big Boys,  I think a used JM Marlin 1894 44 Magnum can still be found in that price range.  For sure Rossi in  44 or 45.  Funding a nice 357 may be a problem.   Local gun shop has a new Winchester Miroku 92 and 73 for $900.  Tax aside, that would not be far off the new prices I see for Henry on GB.  

Thing is,  every gunshop with more than a few guns has a wall of of new Henry firearms. The new cowboy action shooter walks in, there is a cowboy gun waiting for him. 

50 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Sounds like SASS would do newbies a favor to withdraw approval of HRA rifles except 22s, implying a new shooter's money is better spent elsewhere. The problem of course is the budget for starting out. Perhaps clubs could do more with loaners, even gear package financing by SASS HQ.

Well than we should eliminate the 1860, the Win 94 and 92, Lightning as well since they are not the best rifles for the game...????

Also,  most clubs that I've been associated with have very little "Extra" monies to have "loaders and ammo" ... and the idea that SASS has the deep pockets to finance the clubs throughout the county is...well...not realistic.

The new shooters have a responsibility to themselves to put in the effort to understand what firearms are best for them. And frankly, it isn't that difficult.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I’m thinking SASS has better things to do with their limited funds than financing firearms packages for new shooters. What would they do when a new shooter shoots one match with his new guns and they never come back? Or they sell their new guns on the classifieds or an auction site. The BATF paperwork would probably be a real picnic. Why stop at withdrawing approval for HRA rifles when there are lots of others that don’t work so well for our game also?

We have one guy that loves his. He has lots of nice guns including a Uberti 73. But he shoots the BB.  Gets through half the stages without problems.  But has several with hiccups and total breakdown.  He keeps shooting it..

If you are looking to be competitive in your participation then I would suggest you follow what the others have said to you with a Marlin or 1873. I was like you in the beginning and started Winthrop a Winchester 94 with a Duke loop lever. But I wanted to have fun. And I still do. I like Winchester 92s the most but have both the new 1866 & 1873 Moriku models. 

So if you want to have fun and shooting a Big Boy would be fun to you then go for it!  You can always get another rifle later. 

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

I’m thinking SASS has better things to do with their limited funds than financing firearms packages for new shooters. What would they do when a new shooter shoots one match with his new guns and they never come back? Or they sell their new guns on the classifieds or an auction site. The BATF paperwork would probably be a real picnic. Why stop at withdrawing approval for HRA rifles when there are lots of others that don’t work so well for our game also?

I didn't suggest SASS HQ use their own funds. As with these organizational credit cards, they could arrange a special offer from a financing firm, who would bear the burden, risk, and credit worthiness responsibilities.

The Henry is a different case, because the other rifles mentioned can be made to run well enough.

20 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And...the "Fun" comments...

If I can't compete, I won't have fun. If I won't have fun, I won't compete.

Phantom

Starting as an Elder Statesman, I don't find my fun being competitive except in trending better for myself with each match. Last match had an ES win the match. These older guys that have been shooting CAS forever are actually not slow old men that can't shoot straight or follow the stages.

4 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Starting as an Elder Statesman, I don't find my fun being competitive except in trending better for myself with each match. Last match had an ES win the match. These older guys that have been shooting CAS forever are actually not slow old men that can't shoot straight or follow the stages.

The point of my comment was that everyone does this game for "Fun".

14 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

That would be incorrect.

Hey all you cowpokes that responded to my query; I appreciate the information. It is sort of what I expected as I've been in this game a while, but I still wanted to get some other view points.

See you on down the trail!

LaVista Bill SASS#11869

GUNS OF THE OLD WEST Magazine

3 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Your last sentence says “ financing by SASS HQ”. Even with a so called organizational credit card I doubt the credit cart company or bank would want to be involved with the financing of firearms in the political climate that we are in nowadays. The paperwork involved in something like this would be enormous, IMHO.

Some folks would really pitch a fit if SASS outlawed their main match HRA’s. Maybe that’s what they want to shoot and all they want to do is have fun and they do that with their HRA rifles. 

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

We have one guy that loves his. He has lots of nice guns including a Uberti 73. But he shoots the BB.  Gets through half the stages without problems.  But has several with hiccups and total breakdown.  He keeps shooting it..

Doing the same thing over & over but expecting different results = :wacko: (wacko) 

Hasta Luego, Keystone :lol:

Archived