SASS Wire Forum

Nominations for Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Shootist of the Year

Dragon Hill Dave #59561

Time again for the Magnificent Seven to recognize the Classic Cowboy and Cowgirl Shootists of the Year for 2018. We need your nominations and comments as we consider the many fine candidates for this award. We will accept nominations and recommendations here on the SASS Wire through the end of August and will have the winners selected in time to announce them at Comin At Cha in September.  That is the plan, so start scratching your heads and cogitate on who would be the most worthy recipients of these prestigious awards and share your thoughts with us.

I know a lot of folks who shoot Classic Cowboy and respect them all greatly and enjoy their company immensely. Over the last year I have met more and am always impressed with each and every one, what and who they are. Not that this is unique to folks shooting Classic Cowboy, they just tend to be the cowfolk I hang with the most, it seems, so I get to know them pretty well. To not mention all their names I'm afraid would be construed as an insult to all these fine and deserving people but although I believe there are many in this category who can easily own this award but it's my understanding I can only nominate one. I nominate Major Art Tillery. Again. ^_^

Last year I wrote about a 900 word essay on why I think he deserves this award. If I could find that I would repost it but nevertheless all those reasons still apply today. 

He is cowboy through and through. (The dirt on his chaps he's actually earned from working cattle, how's that for cowboy?) Hardworking, honest, trustworthy, a true friend to have. Cowboys would say he's one to ride the river with. And he is. He does not just dress the category and shoot the guns but he goes above and beyond inventing things for the Classic Cowboy category and comes up with new and exciting ideas every year to promote in the Classic Cowboy category. The Classic Cowboy showdown is just one example. He has a barn-full of total and true excitement for what this game brings to all of us and he works at enriching something already pretty grand even more to the best of his ability.

Plenty of you out there have met Major and have shot with Major, have posse'd with Major or know him as a friend. I think you all would agree with me when I shout his accolades.

Major Art Tillery for Classic Cowboy 2018. :D

31 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Can you give us an idea on the selection criteria?

What we look for are folks who are dedicated to and embody the category with their commitment to the costuming requirements, who embrace the challenge of shooting the big calibers and the hammered shotgun, who encourage others to join them in shooting Classic Cowboy or Cowgirl, and who just have a big 'ol time shooting our category. As Texas Ghost likes to put it, someone has to be "willin'." 

I would like to nominate 3 CCs for the award     Major Art Tillery,,,,, High Plains Hud,,,,, and Dantankerous. All 3 cowboys are fine examples of what a CC should be!!!!

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I know a lot of folks who shoot Classic Cowboy and respect them all greatly and enjoy their company immensely. Over the last year I have met more and am always impressed with each and every one, what and who they are. Not that this is unique to folks shooting Classic Cowboy, they just tend to be the cowfolk I hang with the most, it seems, so I get to know them pretty well. To not mention all their names I'm afraid would be construed as an insult to all these fine and deserving people but although I believe there are many in this category who can easily own this award but it's my understanding I can only nominate one. I nominate Major Art Tillery. Again. ^_^

Last year I wrote about a 900 word essay on why I think he deserves this award. If I could find that I would repost it but nevertheless all those reasons still apply today. 

He is cowboy through and through. (The dirt on his chaps he's actually earned from working cattle, how's that for cowboy?) Hardworking, honest, trustworthy, a true friend to have. Cowboys would say he's one to ride the river with. And he is. He does not just dress the category and shoot the guns but he goes above and beyond inventing things for the Classic Cowboy category and comes up with new and exciting ideas every year to promote in the Classic Cowboy category. The Classic Cowboy showdown is just one example. He has a barn-full of total and true excitement for what this game brings to all of us and he works at enriching something already pretty grand even more to the best of his ability.

Plenty of you out there have met Major and have shot with Major, have posse'd with Major or know him as a friend. I think you all would agree with me when I shout his accolades.

Add +2 from Lodan B Fast and Marie Laveau!

Well said Dantankerous

Dutch Coroner also gets my endorsement!  One of the hardest working cowboys I ever met and one heck of a nice guy.  He's definitely one you'd want to ride the trail with.

On 7/30/2018 at 2:58 PM, Dantankerous said:

Well said Dan!!!! I think you are so spot on with your essay of last year and then this writeup. Thank you for it.  I don't write well but : MAJOR ARTILLERY for 2018 Classic Cowboy Shootist!!!!

And no disrespect meant to any other Classic Cowboys.  

I haven't been shooting classic for very long but after reading these quotes and seeing the classic challenge on the wire my vote is for Major Art also!!

Jax T

image.png.84484a5319d60a67adec2aa4b7276b1f.png

Dang folks, thank you all for the nominations... it is so great just to be nominated in the mix of some great classics Cowboys/Cowgirls!  This category is just great.. and the folks that shoot it are some of the best I have had the pleasure to meet.  It is my privilege to offer up the Classic Cowboy Showdown the past two years... and I hope those that have been able to attend have had a great time!  I look forward to hosting it again in 2019, with hopefully the biggest turn out yet for it.

Now I have gotten to shoot with many classics over the years I have a few nominations of my own.

Dantankerous - My "Big Brother".. .he has taught me a lot in the past few years about dressing the part for Classic Cowboy,  Those that have met him know that he always looks like a true classic at any event, dressed like he just walked out of the Old West itself.  He does the best he can to have the most authentic clothing and gear for the category.  It is a complete joy to get to shoot with him at a match.  Dan is the sort that will help anybody out that needs it and has a lot of great knowledge to share with new shooters as well. 

High Plains Hud -  Hud is another great classic cowboy  that well deserves the nomination for Classic Cowboy Shootist Of The Year.  I have watched Hud shoot classic ever since I started shooting in 2010.... the man is just good and smooth!  He has showed me many tips and tricks over the years to help me get better.  I really enjoy sitting around at a match and chatting with him. 

Stirrup Trouble -   Stirrup is new to the category, only been at it a little under 2 years... but he is already making incredible progress!  Anybody that knows Stirrup knows that he works his butt off for the game, and that is no different in the Classic Cowboy Category.  He helps me promote the Showdown by spreading the word at every event he attends... and with every shooter he comes across.  He is a great pard and works hard and would be a great choice as well.

Asa Smith -   I have really gotten to know Asa the past two years and he is a great fella and very deserving of this as well.  He is a hoot to hang out with and shoot along side... and will help out anybody that needs it.  He is full of some great cowboy history, that I enjoy talking with him about. 

There are so many others that it is just tough to narrow it down.... I enjoy shooting with so many fellow classics  like Pony Soldier, Bronco Red, Rattlesnake Russ, and oh so many more... glad to call them all my pards!

Major, thank you for the nomination, but you deserve the honor this year

I have another nomination to make!  :D  But this time it is for the Classic Cowgirl.  There has been this gal from around these parts that joins all us classics in shooting this great category.  She is a great shooter and has been a hoot to shoot with the past couple of years. It does not seem like to many ladies tackle this category... But she seems up to the challenge.  So please consider Mattie M. West for Classic Cowgirl Shootist 2018

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!!! This year has went by too fast!!

I'll throw my hat in the ring for Major Art Tillery. He works tirelessly promoting the Classic Cowboys & Cowgirls category.

My vote for MATTIE M. WEST also for classic cowgirl Shootist.   She has worked hard at it!!! One of of the nicest gals you will ever meet.  And she don't shoot Baby loads like myself!!! 200 grainers pistol and rifle!!  Im biased and very proud of her. Great friendly and encouraging personality.!!!!

I'll throw in a vote for Mattie as well.

For all the reasons High Plains Hud stated so perfectly.

I vote for Mattie too!!

Unrelated to the vote, but it has to do with the classics. Shot for the first time since the stroke this weekend and shot CLASSIC still! I needed that. It was a hoot playing classic again. Glad I can still shoot duelist

Dutch Coroner. 

Hard worker, forever volunteering, uses a bandolier, match director, great guy, and oh yea, 2018 SASS World Champion.

5 hours ago, Chuckaroo #13080 Regulator said:

Dutch Coroner. 

Hard worker, forever volunteering, uses a bandolier, match director, great guy, and oh yea, 2018 SASS World Champion.

+ 1

He is the " The Classic Cowboy" and exemplify''s the true meaning!!!!

From a fellow who has been shooting CC before the class became an SASS official category.

Nawlins Kidd

19 hours ago, Nawlins Kid said:

+ 1

He is the " The Classic Cowboy" and exemplify''s the true meaning!!!!

From a fellow who has been shooting CC before the class became an SASS official category.

Nawlins Kidd

Never had the pleasure to shoot with either one of you fellas.... If you get a chance give the Showdown a look.  Sure would love to have a couple more classics join the fun!

See ya down the trail I hope!

Major

1 minute ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Nevwe has the pleasure to shoot with either one of you fellas.... If yoi get a chance give the Showdown a look.  Sure would love to have a couple more classics join the fun!

See ya down the trail I hope!

Major

Thanks for the invite but I will not be able to shoot for a while . On Aug. 2 I had a "major" tear in my right rotator cuff repaired.

Nawlins

1 hour ago, Nawlins Kid said:

Thanks for the invite but I will not be able to shoot for a while . On Aug. 2 I had a "major" tear in my right rotator cuff repaired.

Nawlins

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. A working rotator cuff is kind of a big deal. Get better soon so you can get back to shooting. ;)

15 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. A working rotator cuff is kind of a big deal. Get better soon so you can get back to shooting. ;)

Thanks.

It"s takes longer to type, but since I'm a CC and shoot DD I can type with either hand :D

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2018 at 9:04 PM, Major Art Tillery said:

Back to the top... Surely more classic shooters out there deserve a nomination yet!  Come on get them on the list ^_^

Nope, the nominating committee has made its recommendations. Unless an FBI investigation turns up something definitive, we should move to a vote.  :rolleyes: :D :lol:

56 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Nope, the nominating committee has made its recommendations. Unless an FBI investigation turns up something definitive, we should move to a vote.  :rolleyes: :D :lol:

This has the potential to be a segue in soo many directions.  I’ll just step away from the iPad.

My vote goes to Sixgun Seamus and his lovely wife Cayenne Kay, They've travelled around the country, shot all kinds of different matches, mostly came in at the top or pretty near the top and are the nicest people you'd ever meet!;)

Howdy!

Don't know if it's too late,  but I just had the pleasure to  meet  and posse with  my 2 nominations. Major Art Tillery and Dantankerous. These 2 cowboys are genuine,  and hardworking . True Classic Cowboys. 

• 2 months later...

We have winners! Sorry it took the Magnificent Seven so long to deliberate, but we have made our choices. A big Thanks to all who made nominations and spoke in favor of candidates. And a thank you to all who have devoted themselves to the costuming, shooting style and big guns of Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl.

Our Classic Cowboy Shootist of the year for 2018 is Major Art Tillery, who has worked so hard to gain recognition for Classic Cowboy and who is promoting the Classic Cowboy Showdown. Our Classic Cowgirl Shootist of the Year for 2018 is Cayenne Kay.

We will be making the presentation of the buckles at the Classic Cowboy Dinner at Winter Range in February 2019 . More on that later. Congratulations to Major Art Tillery and Cayenne Kay and a big thank you for the inspiration you provide to all Classic Cowboys and Cowgirls.

A HUGE congratulations to my little brother Major Art Tillery and Cayenne Kay for being awarded Classic Cowboy and Classic Cowgirl of 2018!

I know how much work Major puts into this game. I look forward to meeting and shooting with Cayenne Kay, hopefully sooner than later.

Way to go, ya'll!

:D:D:D

Archived