SASS Wire Forum

New style CCI primers.

To all Cowboys who have used CCI Shotgun 209 primers in the past and present, have you noticed the change in them. Older ones were copper and silver colored. The new ones are all silver colored. The reason I'm asking is because the new ones are extremely harder. Looking at the FP impact dent you can clearly see the difference. No FTF problems but they just seem hard. Check the pictures for comparison. These were both fired in the same 97 with the same load and you can clearly see the difference. No complaints here, just a little strange that they change the hardness of there primers for no apparent reason.  S.G--

20180721_192434.jpg

20180721_192443.jpg

20180721_193012.jpg

20180721_193039.jpg

Is this new to just the standard 209's? All I use are the CCI Magnum 209's and all of those are and have been all copper colored. But, Federal did buy CCI, so maybe they decided to change the primers. The "Boss" has a nephew that works for Federal and he keeps her up to date regarding Federal products for me.

I use standard primers, not magnums. Not sure what the mag 209s look like. Federal bought them out!?. Interesting. I didn't know that. 

Archived