SASS Wire Forum

45 auto rim question

Trigger Mike

I saw a video about a 45 acp revolver that can also use 45 auto rim.  do the two rounds act the same as far as ballistics?  what would happen if I accidentally loaded 45 auto rim into a 1911 ?  I assume it would not feed properly. 

The 45 Auto Rim wouldn't feed in a 1911 at all.  I haven't tried it, but A.)  I seriously doubt it would load into the magazine because of the rim.  B.)   It absolutely would not chamber.   C.)   It would not allow the slide to close.

It has a big rim.  It was developed to shoot in the abundant 1917 Colt and S&W revolvers that were made to fire 45 ACP ammo with little steel clips that would hold 3 45ACPs at the time.  I have my grandfathers military S&W 1917 that he  carried and packed when he ran whiskey and I recently purchased a S&W model 25 in 45 ACP custom by Austin Behlert and I use full moon clips from Dillion in them.

It must have had the back of the cylinder relieved, whatever caliber it was. Same as my .455 Webley had the back of the cylinder relieved. I can no longer shoot.455 in it, but I shoot .45AR.

An unmodified 45ACP SAA cylinder will not work with 45AR.

Picture a 45 cowboy special with a rim 0.090 thick.  That's the thickness of the extractor groove plus the thickness of the moon clip to be used on 45 acp for use in a S&W or Colt New Service in 45 acp        GW

Archived