Standard Manufacturing releases SAA

I'd buy one if the price was lower and they made one in .357!:o

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Did we screw up again, DJ?

Nope, I almost did.

I started to post saying that I thought the photo with all the screw slots lined up had been faked a bit, with the screws backed out a bit until all the slots lined up. It would take a lot of coordination between CNC programming for single point tapping the screw holes as well as a CNC program for turning the screws to get everything to line up like that. I don't even know if you can single point holes that small.

But then I saw the line about the orientation of the screws:

"Even all of the screws are perfectly timed from north to south. "

Which I take to mean they lined up the slots on purpose.

So I deleted my post, saying Never Mind.

If they are putting extra effort into lining up the screw slots, it is kind of silly. Colt never cared about lining up all the screw slots, they wind up oriented randomly. A conventional tap grabs the metal and starts cutting randomly. So the threads are clocked randomly, and the screw slots are oriented however the screws bottomed out.

Bisley%20Colt%2038-40%207.5%20Inch%20Bar

I will wait until I see one before I say anything else about the screw slots.

Which will probably never happen because they will probably never be approved for sale in MASS.

I will make one teeny correction.

The title of this thread says Standard Manufacturing Releases SAA.

Single Action Army, as well as SAA are trademarks owned by Colt. You will notice on the website, nowhere are the terms Single Action Army, or SAA used. They know Colt will sue the pants off of them if they use those terms.

I think putting effort into lining up the screw heads shows an effort of workmanship. (When I was an apprentice electrician, my journeyman insisted plug and switch plate screws be oriented so they all line up vertically. Didn't take any extra time, but it showed workmanship and care)

To my way of thinking, if they're putting that much effort into tiny details, maybe things such as the barrels groove diameter, the diameter of the cylinder throats, the angle of the forcing cone, et al, are being done with care as well. We'll see....

I hate to see such criticism on this forum and others, when no one has even handled much less fired one yet.

Cholla 

Howdy Again

With all due respect, lining up the slots on switch plate screws and lining up the slots in a machined frame are two different things. I suspect you will agree that by lining up the slots on switch plates, you are using a bit of the springing action of the plate so you can tighten or loosen the screws a little bit so the slots all line up.

It is a different story with a machined part such as the frame of a revolver. There is no springiness involved. The screws either bottom or they don't. The slots will be oriented however they were when the screw bottomed out. Other than orienting the threads on a barrel such as a modern S&W so that the barrel always bottoms out with the front sight vertical, there is no added value to making the slots line up on a firearm.

I have never seen a firearm where the slots all line up. Not a Smith and Wesson, not a Colt, not  a Winchester, not a Ruger, not on anything in my safe. As far as I am concerned, there is no added value to making the slots line up. The screws don't work any better if the slots line up.

Just my opinion of course.

After I said I would not say anything further about the screw slots.

I will try to remain mum on the subject now.

I agree, it will be nice if they pay attention to things such as rifling groove diameter vs chamber throat diameters. Many companies, including Colt, have messed up on that.

When making a new version of a gun that has been in production for almost a hundred and fifty years and has been endlessly replicated, in some cases quite well, a small touch like lining up the screw slots is a potent differentiator that shows great care in assembly. Given the production costs inherent with building this gun in America, and given the fact that there is not a lot of room for interpretation when replicating an icon, I think lining up the screw slots is a well placed effort. Still, if I had the money, I’d buy Colts.

• 1 month later...

Remembering a good carpenter or such whenever you even replace the cover on a switch plate you always had the screw heads either vertical or horizontal and more so vertical.

That's what you call professional installation just like the screws on that revolver  which Mossy Pops shows above. How many others don't even pay attention to detail.

As the old saying goes "Lets just call that Professional Courtesy"  Waaaa, Haw!!

Yo-De-O: I wonder if I could get Turquoise Bill to maybe buy me one of those, then I could let all of you know how well it performs.

What you think gang. You think he would do such a good thing for this old Jackrabbit??????????????.

Thanks in advance Turq old friend. You are the one that told and showed all of us and now we're all drooling.

Waaa, Haw

PS: Love yah pilgrim

It just occurred to me..  that a company like Standard Manufacturing could make just an exact (mechanically) Colt SAA frame, all the other genuine Colt parts are available.  Builders could assemble a nearly Colt in about any configuration or era style.  

I get frustrated looking at the proliferation of new single action revolvers available and not finding the configuration I want. If you want a 357 or 45, you have a buffet to select from.  If you want a 44 Special,  there are a few to pick from. 44WCF even fewer. 38WCF and 32WCF are very limited. 

47 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

It just occurred to me..  that a company like Standard Manufacturing could make just an exact (mechanically) Colt SAA frame, all the other genuine Colt parts are available.  Builders could assemble a nearly Colt in about any configuration or era style.  

I get frustrated looking at the proliferation of new single action revolvers available and not finding the configuration I want. If you want a 357 or 45, you have a buffet to select from.  If you want a 44 Special,  there are a few to pick from. 44WCF even fewer. 38WCF and 32WCF are very limited. 

I agree sir, about caliber selection, but sometimes one just had to know where to look, and in this case it's Dixie Gun Works. Not only do they import Uberti Flat Tops in two different calibers, they stock revolvers and rifles in 32 WCF and 38 WCF in multiple barrel lengths as well as having a good selection of both in 44/40. Their stock of .44 Special however is limited to handguns.

Another flash in the pan. We've all seen the AWAs, the USFAs, and the STIs, come and go.  There are 3 constants still in the game, Colt Ruger and Uberti.  At a third of the price, I 'll stick with Uberti.

19 hours ago, Rawhide Rio said:

Another flash in the pan. We've all seen the AWAs, the USFAs, and the STIs, come and go.  There are 3 constants still in the game, Colt Ruger and Uberti.  At a third of the price, I 'll stick with Uberti.

4 Pietta;) Still don't know why USFA stopped, there was often a waiting list to get the very popular Rodeo and Rodeo II:wacko: If these folks have all the USFA equipment maybe they will consider offering a type of Rodeo:) We can always wish:D

I just thought I would add a little more information on Standard as a company, as opposed to the revolver itself. Standard recently sent one of their single actions to a writer to review for Guns of the Old West. This writer did a preliminary review and posted the results on the Colt forum. Apparently someone at Standard read the review on the Colt forum and was not happy with it so basically told the writer to forget it and send the gun back. I guess if you are a company and don't like what a reviewer says, you can go out and shop around for one that will write what you want? Seems pretty shady to me, but I don't know how things work in the gun review business. I did work for many years as a chef in restaurants and I know I was never able to get shop around for a favorable review. Maybe if I could, I'd still be in the restaurant business? Haha. Anyway, here's the thread if anyone is interested.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/lounge/342989-standard-single-action-dpris-review.html

Thanks for the link to the Colt Forum.  That's a ton of information.   Lots to discussion. Big hangup on cone shaped firing pin and lacquer finish over color case. 

I could see the glossy look on the gun and just figured it was lacquer finish - pretty standard practice. 

I can't figure why they wouldn't have a replaceable firing pin bushing.  Looks like that's a step backwards.  We have a bushel of Uberti Cattleman and I'm always checking for a burr kicked up at the bottom of the firing pin hole. 

I have a 40 year old Cattleman that the firing pin hole is a bit egg shaped from being peened by the firing pin.  The frame is obviously lacquered and still looks great. 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:15 AM, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Still don't know why USFA stopped

Based upon what I have read here, elsewhere and seen the company doing, I have come to the following conclusions based on the following data.

1.  USFA made a great SAA clone that everyone recognized at such that a lot of people wanted to buy.

2.  They had a habit of announcing various other products and then never making them.

3.  They stopped making the SAA clone and started making a bizarre .22 RF thingee that attaches to the bayonet lug on the M-16 that by most reports was a piece of junk and nobody wanted to buy it.

It all adds up to mean the following:  The guy running the outfit and making these decisions went bonkers.

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Based upon what I have read here, elsewhere and seen the company doing, I have come to the following conclusions based on the following data.

1.  USFA made a great SAA clone that everyone recognized at such that a lot of people wanted to buy.

2.  They had a habit of announcing various other products and then never making them.

3.  They stopped making the SAA clone and started making a bizarre .22 RF thingee that attaches to the bayonet lug on the M-16 that by most reports was a piece of junk and nobody wanted to buy it.

It all adds up to mean the following:  The guy running the outfit and making these decisions went bonkers.

That pretty much sums it up.

He had a really good thing going, but he let it go to his head.

I find it odd to say the least. The folks on other forums lament the passing of USFA, bemoan the ridiculous prices they're now bringing, hold their noses and shoot Uberti's while complaining about the new retractable firing pins, and wring their collective hands over what appears to be the demise of production of the Colt SAA. Then someone like Standard comes along and introduces what appears to be a high quality SA, and they nit-pick it TO DEATH. And even more bizarre is the fact that only one of the nit-pickers has even laid his hands on one.

Cholla

18 hours ago, Cholla Hill Tirador said:

I find it odd to say the least. The folks on other forums lament the passing of USFA, bemoan the ridiculous prices they're now bringing, hold their noses and shoot Uberti's while complaining about the new retractable firing pins, and wring their collective hands over what appears to be the demise of production of the Colt SAA. Then someone like Standard comes along and introduces what appears to be a high quality SA, and they nit-pick it TO DEATH. And even more bizarre is the fact that only one of the nit-pickers has even laid his hands on one.

Cholla

I don't know what forums you are visiting. On the Colt forum, there are two guys that have given in detail reports on the Standard single actions, both claiming they shoot high left, both having similar issues with the guns, and both also stating that they are better than the new 3rd gen Colts coming out these days. A few more folks have them, that haven't given much of a report on it other than they are quite happy with them. So where is this "nit-pick to death" you're referring to? I was all set to grab up one, and still may, but I do not like it when companies resort to less than ethical means to get reviews out. Maybe all gun companies do so, but this is the first I have ever heard of it. Am I just being naive in expecting honesty in a review and not just finding the reviewer that will say what they want them to say?

OLG couldn't disagree more. I have owned and sold dozens of USFA's (kinda collected them for a while). I called the company direct several times and on most occasions

ended up talking to the "MAN" himself. He was rich  but not a jerk,  he WAS extremely polite, informed and all other good adjectives I can think of.

He did NOT run the company in the ground....don't know where you got your info from.........

He got tired of selling his guns BELOW cost to compete with Colt....he ACTUALLY LOST money on the guns he sold.

I heard this both from him and several distributor buddies, as well as an employee of his who was on the CAS city forums as a sort of factory REP.

It was a matter of when they were available NOBODY wanted to pay for quality and now that they're gone you pay 3-4 times what you did for

a new one just a few years ago!!!

And YES they are BETTER than any Colt I have owned and again I have owned dozens of Colt SAA's, and handled dozens more.

2 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

OLG couldn't disagree more. I have owned and sold dozens of USFA's (kinda collected them for a while). I called the company direct several times and on most occasions

ended up talking to the "MAN" himself. He was rich  but not a jerk,  he WAS extremely polite, informed and all other good adjectives I can think of.

He did NOT run the company in the ground....don't know where you got your info from.........

He got tired of selling his guns BELOW cost to compete with Colt....he ACTUALLY LOST money on the guns he sold.

I heard this both from him and several distributor buddies, as well as an employee of his who was on the CAS city forums as a sort of factory REP.

It was a matter of when they were available NOBODY wanted to pay for quality and now that they're gone you pay 3-4 times what you did for

a new one just a few years ago!!!

And YES they are BETTER than any Colt I have owned and again I have owned dozens of Colt SAA's, and handled dozens more.

You can go ahead and disagree with me all you want. 

That won't change the facts, as to why USFA closed up shop. Bad business decisions from the top guy. Like that 'Zip' gun is just one of many examples :huh:

Do some search'n and you will find the truth........

I also suggest that you PM, 'Sixgun Shorty' of this forum. He was a dealer for USFA and they ran him in circles over orders with delay after delay. He finally dropped them.....

What happened to USFA was caused by incompetent leadership.

OLG

5 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Selling your guns at below cost and losing money on every one sold is kind of the definition of running your company into the ground.

USFA made an exquisite product and then discovered they had to compete on price. I visited the factory and took a tour on an Easter Sunday many moons ago and that factory was a vanity project if there ever was one. I worked at a factory at the time in a small Massachusetts mill town and sold our product internationally so I know a couple of things about manufacturing in the US. He spent too much money too fast and hoped the sales would follow. They didn't. Simple as that.

I own a pair of USFA premiums that are my main match pistols. I will never sell them.

On 7/18/2018 at 8:36 PM, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

Just a point if information, no dog in this fight, Standard Manufacturing is taking orders for their new SAA.

TB

I would like to thank Turquoise Bill for starting this thread about the Standard Mfg. Co. Single Action Revolver and for those that add their facts, wants, comparisons, etc to the subject of this new single action revolver.

It would be nice if those that would like to chat about other subjects, to start their own thread and title it so.

Archived