SASS Wire Forum

Best currently available "Peacemaker"

Oddnews SASS# 24779

I don't know where you're getting your info from... but... the Colt Single Action Army, is on their website.  (Tho' it is noted as "out of stock").  Colt is the ONLY maker of the "Peacemaker".  I hear the Pietta copy is very good... but... like the other manufacturers they have made more than one quality level.  Choose your importer with care.

The Pietta guns from distributors such as EMF are extremely well made clones. I have been pleased with the GWII deluxe guns.

Colt's are still being produced, albeit in such small numbers that you have to be super lucky or plan to overpay. Another possible alternative is Standard Manufacturing single action: http://www.stdgun.com/sa-revolver/

Granted, nobody has actually seen one from the production floor that I know of, but it's a possibility. If nothing else, perhaps it will help drop the demand for Colts, and the price along with it.

The other options are the Pietta and Uberti. The EMF Great Westerns are really nice most of the times, but with these mass produced models there can be fitting issues. I have a buddy that recently bought two. One is really nice, and the other has a horrible trigger. Not that hard of a fix, though.

I have also heard that the new ubertis are fantastic shooters, once the new hammers are replaced with the older ones that don't have the safety. You can get them for pretty good prices as well going through dixie gun works.

40 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

Another possible alternative is Standard Manufacturing single action: http://www.stdgun.com/sa-revolver/ 

Hmmm...

"Never before in history has an effort been put forth to produce the finest single action revolver. "

Curious statement.

I am sure that at $1890 they are very well made guns.    But at $1890...   Wow...  How much is a real Colt going for these days, when you can find them?

2 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Hmmm...

"Never before in history has an effort been put forth to produce the finest single action revolver. "

Curious statement.

I am sure that at $1890 they are very well made guns.    But at $1890...   Wow...  How much is a real Colt going for these days, when you can find them?

MSRP on a Colt is $1799 and $1999 for blue and nickel. Actual price for a new in box on gunbroker is closer to $2500, with prices climbing over $3000 in the right configuration. I do agree with you that at that price point, I'd rather pick up a Colt. Plenty still out there for less than that on the used market.

Last spring a almost local gun shop had a consecutive numbered pair of 38 Special Colt SAAs fresh in from Colt Custom shop. As I remember $1999.99 each.  They were around about a month and he sold one. About a month later sold the other.  They had blued frames. Just didn't look right with blued frames. -_-

Lets see where this goes. The "Hombre" or whatever they call it today is a bargain. The internals are the same used in the Catttleman and with very little tuning can be made to run very fast. I got a couple in 45 Colt just for the heck of it (3 screws main match guns). A little polish here and there does wonders. I hourglassed the hammer springs, cut the hand spring, changed out the bolt spring to wire and they run real good. $395.00 usually.  Man, I can't see paying $4000.00 plus for two single actions.

3 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

The Pietta guns from distributors such as EMF are extremely well made clones. I have been pleased with the GWII deluxe guns.

+ 1000000 I have one and it's a peach of a gun!!

5 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Colt's are still being produced, albeit in such small numbers that you have to be super lucky or plan to overpay. Another possible alternative is Standard Manufacturing single action: http://www.stdgun.com/sa-revolver/

It may just be me but at that price I can an buy half a dozen rugers in different calibers and be happy for life!  That is one a heck of a premium just to hear them go click...click...click....click every time you pull the hammer back. JMHO

I bought a PAIR of Great Western Alchimista II 1873 Revolver (38/357) on gun_broker for $999 plus $45 for shipping and $20 for my FFL, including a $300 action job done by Pioneer Gun Works (Only Test Fired) in early January of this year. Sweet Deal & SHOOTING.

1873 PISTOLS 1.jpg

1873 PISTOLS 2.jpg

To my knowledge, Pietta is the only currently produced clone that comes with a 4-click hammer and no other non-traditional monkey business.  Be careful though I think some Piettas do come with a transfer bar, but at least they do still offer a tradition Colt style gun.  The Cimarron Frontiers are made by Pietta and in general they are a good clone.

12 hours ago, 357wheelgunner said:

It may just be me but at that price I can an buy half a dozen rugers in different calibers and be happy for life!  That is one a heck of a premium just to hear them go click...click...click....click every time you pull the hammer back. JMHO

And that makes sense, for you. Personally, I can't get used to the feel of a ruger, nor the wonky action, so every dollar spent on one is a waste. I know because I spent quite a few on them trying to get them to feel like a colt only to end up selling them (at a loss) and buying colts. Lot's of folks spend tons of money on super raced short stroke rifles. I'd rather spend that kind of money on another Colt. It's all about personal preferences really. When you get right down to it, the difference in cost is minimal compared to the price of an RV and all the other stuff that goes into big match attendance.

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

To my knowledge, Pietta is the only currently produced clone that comes with a 4-click hammer and no other non-traditional monkey business.  Be careful though I think some Piettas do come with a transfer bar, but at least they do still offer a tradition Colt style gun.  The Cimarron Frontiers are made by Pietta and in general they are a good clone.

As far as I know, currently Uberti still offers the BP frame with the 4 click hammer. For the new hammer models, plan to budget about $100 hammer and trigger replacement and you are good to go. Or go with Pietta of course.

I'd understood that that Colt had dropped the SAA from production when it sold it's parts to OWS. My apologies if I was wrong. I have to 5 1/2 inch BP-frame SAAs, and a USFA in the same barrel length, all in .45 Colt, but you never know when you'll need a different caliber (or just want one, right?) Glad to hear I was wrong.

I'm tired of this nonsense that Colt still "produces" the SAA.  There hasn't been one at any major distributor for over 5 years!!

the only guns coming out are a few guns a year that are usually back ordered guns that the order fell thru on. They sold

their parts why would they do that for a "production" item ???  They were  doing some limited runs, ie the Long Branch edition,

a re-intro of the New Frontier a couple years back, but even that has ended.

I am a Long time Colt collector and Colt shareholder.....if you think you can order one or find one

I've got a great deal on some ocean front property in Arizona!  If you knew how few employees Colt

had right now you'd never believe it.  And remember Colt has been 2 entities for some time the

military side and the civilian side because  Colt wasn't / isn't sure they can keep the company afloat.

I'm just tired of folks wishing they were but they are NOT, why get someone's hopes up that they

can actually find and or buy one coming from Colt??

5 minutes ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

I'm tired of this nonsense that Colt still "produces" the SAA.  There hasn't been one at any major distributor for over 5 years!!

the only guns coming out are a few guns a year that are usually back ordered guns that the order fell thru on. They sold

their parts why would they do that for a "production" item ???  They were  doing some limited runs, ie the Long Branch edition,

a re-intro of the New Frontier a couple years back, but even that has ended.

I am a Long time Colt collector and Colt shareholder.....if you think you can order one or find one

I've got a great deal on some ocean front property in Arizona!  If you knew how few employees Colt

had right now you'd never believe it.  And remember Colt has been 2 entities for some time the

military side and the civilian side because  Colt wasn't / isn't sure they can keep the company afloat.

I'm just tired of folks wishing they were but they are NOT, why get someone's hopes up that they

can actually find and or buy one coming from Colt??

Go to the Colt forum. Someone is posting a new production Colt every month. It is frustrating that they turn out so few, but they do turn them out. Most often, when a distributor or dealer gets one, he's putting it up on GB since he can increase his profit margin substantially. But to say they aren't making them is completely false. I have one being made in the custom shop as we speak, so I will be sure to post pictures of it when I get it in.

1 hour ago, Redwood Kid said:

As far as I know, currently Uberti still offers the BP frame with the 4 click hammer. For the new hammer models, plan to budget about $100 hammer and trigger replacement and you are good to go. Or go with Pietta of course.

That is true.  Cimarron even has Evil Roys with BP frame now for those who want the standard hammer/firing pin.  Now, how long that will continue is anyone's guess.  I'm thinking myself of getting a Cimarron Uberti Cavalry model while they are still made the authentic way.  Might have to wait for it, though, cuz I want charcoal blue. :)

Thanks to Colt by producing the SAA's so slowly the used prices and also the ones that are in stock at dealers that are NIB are sky high!! Thanks a lot Colt!!:huh:

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Thanks to Colt by producing the SAA's so slowly the used prices and also the ones that are in stock at dealers that are NIB are sky high!! Thanks a lot Colt!!:huh:

Might as well thank the free market while you’re at it. 

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That's their strategy.  They want only a few at high prices so as to get them to "collectible" status.  Look at the M 16 reproduction that is going for $2,500.  A LGS has one, and it looks good,  but shelling out $1,500 or more, when ARs can be had for $600-$1,000, for the Colt imprint is a bit much. 

Archived