SASS Wire Forum

Coming to loading table with empty cases in revolver penalty

Hoss

Just curious-If the half cock is the safety for the rifle and the pistol, why the serious penalty, especially if on a empty chamber?  For example when your staging the rifle or holstering your revolvers after shooting them.  I have  all our rifles half cock filed off to prevent the penalty.  PS- nothing worse than leaving your dry fire round in your rifle after staging.  Now I put a cleaning rod in the barrel when the rifle goes back in the safe.  Great reminder.

I think it's widely agreed upon that the half cock is a terrible safety.  Even if it's not widely agreed upon, the "powers what be" in SASS seem to hold the opinion. 

When a revolver is on half cock, is the cylinder locked into place? 

On 7/19/2018 at 11:24 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

The ULTO is a very important position to ensure a cold range really is cold.

Having empties in the pistol is not the problem, it is the round that was not fired that is worrisome. Or the shooter who loads four in one revolver and six in the other.  When something bad happens it may be compounded into a full-blown "Train Wreck."

Rance, I've seen it happen frequently.

I've got to go with Allie on this. To me - the ULTO is the second most important safety officer after the TO.  Very Very few have been injured by a bullet from an empty gun......

On 7/19/2018 at 11:24 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

The ULTO is a very important position to ensure a cold range really is cold.

Having empties in the pistol is not the problem, it is the round that was not fired that is worrisome. Or the shooter who loads four in one revolver and six in the other.  When something bad happens it may be compounded into a full-blown "Train Wreck."

Rance, I've seen it happen frequently.

I've got to go with Allie on this. To me - the ULTO is the second most important safety officer after the TO.  Very Very few people have been injured by a bullet from an empty gun......

1 hour ago, Yusta B. said:

I've got to go with Allie on this. To me - the ULTO is the second most important safety officer after the TO.  Very Very few have been injured by a bullet from an empty gun......

I completely agree that the ULT officer is a very important position..

I reckon around here we just don't have very many shooters getting 

past them with brass still in their pistols..

Archived