SASS Wire Forum

leaving fired hull in shotgun. yea or nay?

Hoss

On 7/18/2018 at 8:55 PM, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

I wish they would just make it a procedural penalty since it’s not a safety issue. 

Since it is considered safe to move with a Closed shotgun with an expended shell in the chamber, RO1 pg 25  And, It is legal to move (except where local range rules prohibit), with a live shell in the chamber as long as the shotgun is open.  Why is it suddenly unsafe for that shotgun to be opened and put down with an empty.  This is not a safety issue.  It is more of a procedural, if it must be called at all.  

If we are retaining a penalty for leaving a live round in the shotgun (and WE'D SURE BETTER)

And if we are expecting the TO to safely assist a shooter through the stage (and WE'D SURE BETTER)

And if the TO would be expected, if possible, to assist a shooter with a live round left in the shotgun by calling him back to clear it,

Now assume we drop any penalty for a fired hull left in shotgun.

TO calls shooter back, can't really tell if the hull in gun is fired or live.  If the round happens to be found to be fired when TO calls him back, the shooter has been called back for no good reason, and you would be obligated to offer shooter a reshoot.  (And the hulls laying around that shooting position, probably all are fired hulls, if you want to start digging through the pile to justify that the shooter really did have an unfired round that was stuck in gun.  But, wait, perhaps shooter dropped a live round out of his shotgun belt....     just no way to verify what really happened.)

Based on this, and on Deuce's comments (above) as well, leave this rule as it is!  Changing it will cause real problems during a stage.

This one is not so much about safety as it is managing fast shooters as they fly through the stage!

Good luck, GJ

I'll play the game however it's written, but I've found that calling a fast shooter back often does more harm than good.  Because, if they're flying through a stage the next gun is usually cocked already.  

I've more than a few times called even our fastest shooters back, before they can move to another gun and get it up and cocked.  The fastest shooters usually have already decided they aren't going back regardless of what is behind them - so they just ignore that TO warning.   I've gotten thanks from several, though, when I saved them from (usually) a Minor Safety penalty.

I have to have staged the call "empty in gun" already in my mind and on tip of my tongue to be able to do that, though.

Good luck, GJ

Archived