SASS Wire Forum

Be careful bidding

Trigger Mike

Was playing around on a bidding sight and wanted to keep an eye on a new Smith but wasn't sure I wanted to buy it so I bid 300 less than my dealer can get it and won 44 less than my bid. Ooops.  It is on it's way now. Be careful you just might get it

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

How can you win a bid for less than your bid? What site was this?

thanks

Pat , I don't know about any other sites , but on the GunBroker site if a bid has been made on an item , you can enter your maximum bid ,but it will only add the going bid increments (usually 5.00). If the bidding doesn't reach your max. , you can end up winning for less than your max bid. 

That is  kind of the rough idea , hard for me to explain in text.

Rex :D

That's how Ebay works too. You enter in the maximum you're willing to pay but the system doesn't offer that as your bid on the auction. It bids in small increments until it's just above the current bid, up until it hits your maximum or you win the auction. So you could enter $100 but if bidding stops at $50, you win the item for that amount.

It's done as a convenience so people don't have to keep watching an auction when they should be working. (grin)

Yep. Gunbroker does that. My max bid was never met by the other bidders. Since a Smith and Wesson 325 retails so high I wanted to watch it to see how popular and how high it would go never dreaming I'd get it. 

4 hours ago, Sparky Nelson said:

That's how Ebay works too. You enter in the maximum you're willing to pay but the system doesn't offer that as your bid on the auction. It bids in small increments until it's just above the current bid, up until it hits your maximum or you win the auction. So you could enter $100 but if bidding stops at $50, you win the item for that amount.

It's done as a convenience so people don't have to keep watching an auction when they should be working. (grin)

You mean that people would actually do that? :lol:

I was in a shoe store with my wife and mother and daughter at Christmas time and trying not be seen by them while I bid on a Colt Single action army.  I meant to bid $2,500 max and bid $25,000.  I won it but had to call the dealer and pay him a $150 to let me off the hook with the auction site.  It is doesn't pay to be sneaky with wife, mother, and daughter looking over your shoulder.  My daughter thought I was calling a girl friend but wife knew it had to be about guns!

7 hours ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Pat , I don't know about any other sites , but on the GunBroker site if a bid has been made on an item , you can enter your maximum bid ,but it will only add the going bid increments (usually 5.00). If the bidding doesn't reach your max. , you can end up winning for less than your max bid. 

That is  kind of the rough idea , hard for me to explain in text.

Rex :D

6 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Yep. Gunbroker does that. My max bid was never met by the other bidders. Since a Smith and Wesson 325 retails so high I wanted to watch it to see how popular and how high it would go never dreaming I'd get it. 

6 hours ago, Sparky Nelson said:

Okay...Now I understand. Thank you.

20 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Honestly--I think I may need one of these!

tacticool caplock.jpg

Nah..The zip ties are a classic !!  Looks good though .............

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, Smoky Pistols said:

Honestly--I think I may need one of these!

tacticool caplock.jpg

What's with the zip ties?

Shoulda used Duct Tape.

(Why Yes! I am a member of Possum Lodge!)

2 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

What's with the zip ties?

Shoulda used Duct Tape.

(Why Yes! I am a member of Possum Lodge!)

I was thinking that a couple of carefully fabricated brass barrel bands would do nicely! 

Archived