SASS Wire Forum

Home Run Derby

I watched it. I kinda figured Bryce would win it, Schwerber did a pretty good job. I liked it better when Chris Berman used to call it.

I love baseball but the Home Run Derby is the stupidest spectacle I've ever seen! The pitcher is lobbing the ball from 40 feet away! Gimme a break! I watched it for about 15 minutes and turned it off and I love baseball!!:o

30 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I love baseball but the Home Run Derby is the stupidest spectacle I've ever seen! The pitcher is lobbing the ball from 40 feet away! Gimme a break! I watched it for about 15 minutes and turned it off and I love baseball!!:o

Kinda like the game tonight. 

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

Kinda like the game tonight. 

That too!!

The home run derby has always been a fun ‘side match’ if you will for the players chosen to participate, as well as the fans who like to see their hometown players compete in it. Really, it’ s glorified BP. It does, however take some skill and effort to generate the amount of home runs hit in this derby(221-a record). The two finalists, Bryce Harper and Kyle Schwarber hit a total of 45 and 55 homers, respectively throughout the derby. They also were #’s 1&2 in the number of 440 ft. plus hom runs (29) for the derby. 

For me, it’s the entertainment value of watching a moose like Schwarber knock the crap out of the ball 55 times. And, I’m also looking forward to the ASG. I, along with lots of other fans get to see the best of the best, including players from my favorite teams play for home field advantage during the WS. It’s one of the things I will remember fondly during those long, cold winter months as I await the first pitch of Spring Training....

I don't like baseball, but I always liked the homerun derby.  Sorry to have missed it this year. 

I remember watching an old TV show that I think it was a home run derby game show.  The pitchers got money for every home run they gave up.  I've liked the derby ever since.  If I'm not mistaken they replayed some old HR derbies on that channel too with the big names of yesteryear. 

17 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I don't like baseball, but I always liked the homerun derby.  Sorry to have missed it this year. 

I remember watching an old TV show that I think it was a home run derby game show.  The pitchers got money for every home run they gave up.  I've liked the derby ever since.  If I'm not mistaken they replayed some old HR derbies on that channel too with the big names of yesteryear. 

You are correct, my friend. I remember seeing the b&w shows with Mantle, Maris, Williams and Killebrew among others. Can’t for the life of me remember what the show was officially called, or on what channel I saw it.

Nothing beats the old days, huh??

24 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I remember that show!! All the biggest home run hitters in both leagues! Great show and the pitchers weren't 40 feet away!!

I'm betting the channel was nick at night just because of how old I was when I remember watching.  But it could have theoretically been ESPN2.  I spent many a summer night watching those 2 channels.  Until the folks finally went to bed. 

Archived