SASS Wire Forum

"Vomit" Targets?

McCandless

I've seen several references to a cowboy shotgun target, called a "vomit' target.  But no description or picture.  Can anyone tell me what this thing is?  Apparently it's not a popper.  Google is no help.

Usually a combination popper/thrower...KD the popper, when it falls it hits the end of a "teeter-totter" that THROWS UP an aerial target (can, clay bird, charcoal briquet)

Here's one version (Google "can thrower target")

44 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Usually a combination popper/thrower...KD the popper, when it falls it hits the end of a "teeter-totter" that THROWS UP an aerial target (can, clay bird, charcoal briquet)

I've seen these, but I've never heard them called that.  OK, I guess it makes sorta sense.  Thanks!

Its a North Carolina thing. 

We use em here a bit. Lots of fun too. Sometimes we use clay pigeon and sometimes empty cans. Empty cans can often be hard to tell if hit until checked, so we try to use a new can for each shooter. One or two BB's will go right thru without really knocking it off course.

Around here have used charcoal briquettes, clay pigeons and small sodas (be sure sugar free to not attract wasps)

one local club has a pair where 1 throws a bird about 25 feet up and the other goes about 10-12 feet up. Most go kd-bird, Kd- bird

lots more fun to go Kd-kd, bird-bird

regards

Gateway Kid 

Thanks for your acknowledgement.

However, I did not originally come up with this target.

Midway use to travel around the US shooting various state matches during the summer.

Evey once in a while, I would get an email with a photo of a target with a question.

"Can you make one of these?"

I could but the hard part was, there was usually nothing in the photo to give me scale.

The "Can Tosser" originally was a clay bird tosser.

As I was building the prototype, I was using a clay bird to set the pieces in place.

Tacked it all together and the clay bird did not fit.

Not wanting to build another,  I happen to have a soda can in hand and set it place of the bird.

It fit and it launched just fine.

(Suggestion, set the cans with the top opening down and the cans go higher)

I built many of these over the years.

I would like to say the one in this video is dimensional different and I think it is a much better design.

Well done!

"Can Tosser"

Other targets

I put the plans of the targets I built  on the net so any one who wanted to build could build their own targets.

1 minute ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Around here have used charcoal briquettes, clay pigeons and small sodas (be sure sugar free to not attract wasps)

one local club has a pair where 1 throws a bird about 25 feet up and the other goes about 10-12 feet up. Most go kd-bird, Kd- bird

lots more fun to go Kd-kd, bird-bird

regards

Gateway Kid 

Oh---that could get interesting!  As coordinated as I am somedays, it would be more like KD, KD, groundhog, groundhog

If you have any youngsters shooting they will claim the job of shaking up the soda cans.  I take a SxS shotgun with cylinder chokes when I know I'll encounter throwers.  Their open shot pattern helps a bit.  You can place a make-up target where shooters seeking a clean match can make up misses.  I too prefer sugar-free sodas.  I had spray from a sugary soda dump on me and was sticky the rest of the match.

At one of our local clubs in Little York

The local police would confiscate beer from under age kids

and give them to that club..

We called them "Beer Can Launchers"

and yeah.. :) 

They got shook up before placing them on the launch pad..

Rance ;)

Thinkin no doubt when they were hit..:unsure:

P.S. I've never heard it called a "Vomit Target" before now:huh:

We use Vomit targets in a bay where it is safe to go down range- no common firing line. I got where I could load the 97 over the top and still hit most of the fliers. We use clay birds because they are pretty inexpensive and will show even a single bb hit.

Imis

In oz we have one set up for cans but is triggered by a bowling ball.

process is knockdown triggers the ball, ball comes down a ramp and triggers the can thrower

5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

process is knockdown triggers the ball, ball comes down a ramp and triggers the can thrower

Can you post a video?  I would enjoy seeing this contraption.

5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Sounds kind of Rube Goldberg ish...

43 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Can you post a video?  I would enjoy seeing this contraption.

Just tried to find it but nowhere to be seen. Will keep searching

They have been pretty common here in the Southeast. 

Know there have been at least two or three different local guys make great ones.  They are more difficult to "distribute" because they weigh so much.  So they are normally made locally.

They are knockdown-throw-up targets so got the nickname of vomit.

We normally shoot clay targets but have also used charcoal briquets, small pumpkins, eggs, fruit of various sorts and sometimes cans.

You do have to be careful WHAT you use.  At one Illinois shoot they were using pop but that sugar drew so many bees they had to stop shooting!

So they switched to small water bottles.

They don't take that long to reset, but you must be able to go down range.

We don't have them quite as often as we used to, in part because if you are not used to them, it can be frustrating to get the miss. 

So to be more fair to folks that visit or haven't shot them much, we don't do them as often as we used to.  Sometimes we set up another target they may use as a make-up if they miss the clay, etc.

But once you get the hang of them, they are fun.

4 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Winter Range had a set up like that quite a few years ago.  Stage had one knockdown that triggered the bowling ball, four more regular knockdowns and then the flyer that got triggered by the bowling ball.  No order of engagement specified. If you were good you could hit the trigger first then the other four knockdowns before the flyer got triggered and then hit it with your sixth shot.  LOVED that stage.  Took too long to reset though so I haven't seen it since.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, El Hombre said:

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:49 AM, Big Rock, SASS #44055 said:

Sounds kind of Rube Goldberg ish...

In Oz , or at least Old Blighty, that'd be "Heath Robinson-ish".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Heath_Robinson

23 hours ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

At one of our local clubs in Little York

The local police would confiscate beer from under age kids

and give them to that club..

We called them "Beer Can Launchers"

and yeah.. :) 

They got shook up before placing them on the launch pad..

Rance ;)

Thinkin no doubt when they were hit..:unsure:

P.S. I've never heard it called a "Vomit Target" before now:huh:

I was there for my second shoot.  I wondered what kind of an outfit would shoot perfectly good beer.  Evidently, the confiscated beer must be destroyed.  It cant be sold, given away or drunk (drink, drank, drunk??).  It certainly was destroyed.  Still seemed a shame.

Chancy

11 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Winter Range had a set up like that quite a few years ago.  Stage had one knockdown that triggered the bowling ball, four more regular knockdowns and then the flyer that got triggered by the bowling ball.  No order of engagement specified. If you were good you could hit the trigger first then the other four knockdowns before the flyer got triggered and then hit it with your sixth shot.  LOVED that stage.  Took too long to reset though so I haven't seen it since.

That’s where the idea came from. One of my club shooters went to eot and had shot that stage. But we have designed it so everything is reset from the firing line

8 hours ago, El Hombre said:

That’s where the idea came from. One of my club shooters went to eot and had shot that stage. But we have designed it so everything is reset from the firing line

How?  Got any pictures or videos of it being reset? 

On 7/16/2018 at 3:51 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

We use em here a bit. Lots of fun too. Sometimes we use clay pigeon and sometimes empty cans. Empty cans can often be hard to tell if hit until checked, so we try to use a new can for each shooter. One or two BB's will go right thru without really knocking it off course.

Buy really cheap store brand soda. When hit they spray, dance and jump around.

3 hours ago, El Hombre said:

fb://group/?id=125761217977671&view=permalink&object_id=146531172567342 

hopefully this link to the video worked 

My computer doesn't even recognize that as a hotlink.  I paste it into the address bar and I get a google search for how to manage FB groups.  Besides, I'm not on FB. 

Can the resetting be easily described in words?  I can imagine having the bowling ball on a rope to bring it back, but I can't figure a way to get a new beer can loaded. 

4 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

My computer doesn't even recognize that as a hotlink.  I paste it into the address bar and I get a google search for how to manage FB groups.  Besides, I'm not on FB. 

Can the resetting be easily described in words?  I can imagine having the bowling ball on a rope to bring it back, but I can't figure a way to get a new beer can loaded. 

Next time I’m at our club shoot I will set it up and do a video then post on here. Will be easier

9 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Is that on facebook per chance?

Archived