SASS Wire Forum

SAA gunsmith, .45 ACP cylinder question

Oddnews SASS# 24779

I own two Colt SAA (BP frame) and I'd like to have a .45 ACP cylinder made for each of them. Who does this kind of work? Is it expensive? I might have to save up for the project, but I think it would be fun.

Real good possibility a Pietta SA Cylinder would fit with a bit of fiddling.  You could start with a .357 Cylinder and have it re-chambered after you verify fit and timing.  Much much cheaper than starting from a billet.

Oddnews, what generation are your Colts?  The cylinder ratchet changed for 3rd Gen.  I've always heard that Piettas are good copies of 2nd gen Colts.  If that includes the cylinder ratchet, it would make a difference on what parts may interchange.

Actually, .. today .. I doubt you can get ANYTHING from Colt.  Colt sold off all their SAA parts.

With EMF listing a GW II cylinder in .45 ACP, I'd tae a flyer and get one.  Worth the try.

Mine are 3rd Gen. I heard the same about Colt selling all its parts. Does anyone know who bought them?

Addendum: Scratch that. They're at Old Western Scrounger. I'm thinking of buying a pair of 3rd Gen. .357 cylinders and having them redone for my revolvers.

You can always shoot C45S, ACP case length { .898 }with the same rim thickness as 45 Colt. For the price of cylinders you would be able to buy a lot of brass instead!

They load on any machine with the use of ACP dies.

Whoops.  Yes, you can load C45S with ACP dies.  Sort of.  ACP resize die will give you a bit of a taper. The result of the taper resize is nasty Blow-By.   ACP crimp is a taper crimp, not a roll crimp.  It does work.  Sort of.  If your going to shoot C45S cases, 45 Colt Size die.  ACP Seater die.  45 Auto Rim Roll Crimp die.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Whoops.  Yes, you can load C45S with ACP dies.  Sort of.  ACP resize die will give you a bit of a taper. The result of the taper resize is nasty Blow-By.   ACP crimp is a taper crimp, not a roll crimp.  It does work.  Sort of.  If your going to shoot C45S cases, 45 Colt Size die.  ACP Seater die.  45 Auto Rim Roll Crimp die.

I hear that about ACP dies often. Not to stir the pot but my RCBS standard steel dies marked 1982 produce a very nice definite Roll crimp everytime. The SDB Dillon dies also crimp / taper  C45S quite well, blowby has not been a problem for me.....Guess its a hit or miss proposition regarding the crimp. It is something to be mindful of .

Whether ACP or Auto Rim crimp dies are used, the cost of a set of dies and a thousand new brass is negligible compared to custom cylinders and associated internals to arrive at the same result .... unless the OP just wants what he wants. I understand that part as well :)

There is a tiny little advantage to a 45 ACP cylinder when shooting C45S.  Bullet Jump.  With the ACP case up against the cylinder throat, there is no bullet jump from case mouth to throat.  Should give "better" accuracy.  I haven't found Bullet Jump to be an issue in any of my .45s when using C45S cases.  Accuracy doesn't seem to be an issue at all.  The ACP chambering does give the option of using ACP cases in a Single Action.  I've put together several guns for customers for just that reason.

Archived