SASS Wire Forum

Young Ensign Commissions Her Father

Subdeacon Joe

Quite a story.

Tyrone Krause raised his right hand Friday at Naval Station Norfolk aboard the guided-missile destroyer Ramage to take the oath to become a Navy officer — at the ripe age of 63.

Krause, the chief of cardio-thoracic surgery at Jersey City Medical Center, was commissioned as a commander after the Navy determined his 24 years of experience as a heart surgeon warranted a rank that typically takes 16 to 20 years to attain, the Virginian-Pilot reported.

Making the commissioning experience expontentially more memorable, though, was the officer swearing him in: Krause’s own 27-year-old daughter, Ensign Laura Krause, who serves aboard the Ramage. The younger Krause then became the first officer her father saluted.

Cmdr. Krause will serve once a month at a Navy medical center in New Jersey, and he hopes to soon serve aboard a naval hospital ship and teach young corpsmen valuable lessons about treating trauma, the Pilot reported.

“Sometimes I say to myself, ‘How did I get into this? Why don’t I just relax and sit in my backyard and drink some beer?’" Cmdr. Krause told the Pilot. “But that’s not my style. I’ve always been on the move. And hopefully I’ll always be on the move.

"A lot of people in the private sector have a lot of skills they can bring to the Navy and military in general. You can be 40 years old, 50 years old and your profession may be something that’s necessary...You can certainly give back.”

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Perhaps the Navy has changed their policies on age so that people can serve. I think that’s a good thing.

:FlagAm:

Agreed, although I suspect it's reserved for people with skills that are in demand.

It didn't say in the article, but from his work schedule it sounds like he's in the Reserves.

Just now, Sparky Nelson said:

Agreed, although I suspect it's reserved for people with skills that are in demand.

It didn't say in the article, but from his work schedule it sounds like he's in the Reserves.

Yeah, that’s what I thought as well.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Perhaps the Navy has changed their policies on age so that people can serve. I think that’s a good thing.

:FlagAm:

From the link in the above linked Navy Times article:  

When most people enter their 60s, they start thinking about retirement.

Dr. Tyrone Krause decided it was the perfect time to start a new career.

At 63, the heart surgeon from Skillman, N.J., joined the Navy after receiving a waiver that permitted him to enter the Reserves a year past the typical age limit because people with his skills are in demand.

“Sometimes I say to myself, ‘How did I get into this? Why don’t I just relax and sit in my backyard and drink some beer?’ But that’s not my style. I’ve always been on the move. And hopefully I’ll always be on the move,” Krause said.

“I feel, surgically, I’m in my prime. I could still operate very well, and if I can give back and help some of our young men and women in the military, that’s what I want to do.”

and

But just minutes after he was commissioned, he started serving in another way: by doing a bit of recruiting of his own to let others know it’s never too late to try something new.

“A lot of people don’t even you know you can join the Reserves and contribute. A lot of people in the private sector have a lot of skills they can bring to the Navy and military in general,” he said. “You can be 40 years old, 50 years old and your profession may be something that’s necessary in the military. You can certainly give back by joining the Reserves.”

I think it is interesting that the Navy chose to cut out the words "by joining the Reserves."

58 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

From the link in the above linked Navy Times article:  

and

I think it is interesting that the Navy chose to cut out the words "by joining the Reserves."

I didn’t catch the part about the waiver...and I agree, I think it’s odd they left the reserves part out of the article.

Archived