SASS Wire Forum

1972 monte carlo

Trigger Mike

Dealer has one with new engine. Previous owner was a Georgia bulldog fan so painted red with black racing up the hood to roof and bulldog seats. So not stock. Priced at 13700 but I said no way so my salesman I use often called me back said 9700 before tax. I always wanted one but never could afford it. Not sure what they are worth since it is not stock. Thought it be a good car for my son as liability would be cheaper.

If it isn't a big block car it ain't worth it.  If the numbers don't match, it isn't worth it!!  It'd better be spotless and rust and dent free with a really good paint job and new tires for anything over half that price!!!

And I LOVE those cars!!

Howdy,

If pix are posted on some website maybe some pards could take a look.

An investment grade car is not a good idea for a kid to start driving on.

You need a mechanic under that car, not us guessing.

Best

CR

I agree with Blackwater, Montys are not worth that much unless you really really want one. Something else about any custom car you buy, it was custom to the previous  owner not you

I won't comment on the value, because I can't see the car to say. At the end, the question is what is it worth to you? I love the body style of those cars though, and I'm not a Chevy fan, per se. 

As for the liability insurance, I would double check with your insurance agent. With close to two tons of steel without crumple zones and all that, it seems it could do some major damage to another vehicle. I'm not in insurance, but that just seems to make sense to me.

A good indicator, I've never seen one role across he auction block on Mecums or Barrett Jackson. The "custom" work narrows the market real quick when its for a sports team.

Not to be offensive they are popular with the low rider crowd and hydraulics!

It might be worth half the asking price.

Ike

I checked on online classic car auto trader and on that sight they seem stock or original and cost 22000 or more.  Since this has aftermarket parts and interior etc that to me it should be rated as just another car so I am thinking 9700 is still too high

Unless you or your son are die hard Georgia Bulldog fans, I think I would pass.

In doing a quick search on autotrader and hemmings, it looks like there are about three tiers among the Monte Carlos, in general with ball park prices. The numbers matching restorations in the $30-$40K range, with the big blocks at the top of the range. Next seems to be the nice restoration with performance mods in the $12-$20K range, with some asking for more depending on the execution. Below that seem to be the project cars, that need body work, interior work, mechanical work or some combination of the three, in the $4k to $7K range. So price wise, I suppose the $9,700 price wouldn't be too bad, depending on how well you can live with the seats and the color combination.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars-for-sale/1972-chevrolet-monte_carlo-for-sale

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?makeFacet=Chevrolet&modelFacet[]=Monte Carlo&adtypeFacet=Vehicles for Sale&year_min=1970&year_max=1972&sort=sort_time_desc&page_size=15&start=0

On 7/14/2018 at 8:22 PM, Trigger Mike said:

Thought it be a good car for my son as liability would be cheaper.

Don't know the age of your son or him, but speaking from experience, giving a young driver a car with a big engine is probably not a good idea.  When I was 19 I certainly tried to find out how fast my 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme would go to the detriment of my wallet.

what makes me sick is when I was 18 I saw a black stock 71 monte carlo at a buy here pay here lot for 2500 but did not have the money and knew not to buy from a buy here pay here lot as they were nortorious for selling junk.  I loved that car but never bought it and wish now I had and kept it up

All of the above recommendations

Ask this question why did the car need a new crate engine ?    Answers could be abused or no maintenance?

what about the transmission?      Before I bought it or any used car I would spend the money to have a qualified macanic to check everything out for me .

first cars for young drivers are throw away cars  

took it for a test drive today with my two sons.  They had replaced the original wheels with some pimp mobile looking wheels and tires (the thin tires and funky chrome rims).  Engine sounded wonderful at first crank.  but then I noticed as I left it in park that it would idle down to almost shutdown but not quite.  I put it in gear and noticed the dash does not tell you the gear you are in any more.  I went to back out and the tires rub when you turn.  I went to turn onto a road and noticed that in drive the car will try to jump forward but the brake held it back, not enough to go forward just noticeable.  The road curved slightly to the right and yet the center bar of the steering wheel had to be canted left to the 10 o'clock position to stay veering right.  I crossed a train track and the back wheels bottomed out roughly like the springs were gone.  I had to make a sudden stop as I was behind a tractor trailer and the light changed once i could see the light so tried to stop and stopped past the while stop line.  I told the guy that there is no way the owner paid 10,500 for it as I have been around or familiar with him for a while ad know he is not that stupid.  He said that he had paid 10,500.  I said my original though before driving it was no more than 5 or 6 but that is generous considering its condition.  It has been there a while so I imagine it will be there a lot longer.

I also noticed the antifreeze level was slightly low and it does not have should seat belts only lap.  My 68 chevelle I had years ago had shoulder straps.  the ceiling hung loose and the braces under it seemed to be hanging low as well.  I had always wanted one but want one that works like it should.  

6 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

took it for a test drive today with my two sons.  They had replaced the original wheels with some pimp mobile looking wheels and tires (the thin tires and funky chrome rims).  Engine sounded wonderful at first crank.  but then I noticed as I left it in park that it would idle down to almost shutdown but not quite.  I put it in gear and noticed the dash does not tell you the gear you are in any more.  I went to back out and the tires rub when you turn.  I went to turn onto a road and noticed that in drive the car will try to jump forward but the brake held it back, not enough to go forward just noticeable.  The road curved slightly to the right and yet the center bar of the steering wheel had to be canted left to the 10 o'clock position to stay veering right.  I crossed a train track and the back wheels bottomed out roughly like the springs were gone.  I had to make a sudden stop as I was behind a tractor trailer and the light changed once i could see the light so tried to stop and stopped past the while stop line.  I told the guy that there is no way the owner paid 10,500 for it as I have been around or familiar with him for a while ad know he is not that stupid.  He said that he had paid 10,500.  I said my original though before driving it was no more than 5 or 6 but that is generous considering its condition.  It has been there a while so I imagine it will be there a lot longer.

I also noticed the antifreeze level was slightly low and it does not have should seat belts only lap.  My 68 chevelle I had years ago had shoulder straps.  the ceiling hung loose and the braces under it seemed to be hanging low as well.  I had always wanted one but want one that works like it should.  

Sounds like question answered.

Archived