SASS Wire Forum

Dogs

Subdeacon Joe

For more than thirty years, this house has had AT LEAST one dog in it!!  I do NOT plan for that to change!!!

This one was rescued from a very abusive owner. He’s the best dog I’ve ever had.

B05C3F51-C50F-4A82-8621-F5B03EE16614.jpeg

My dog Maddie seems to have recently gotten over the loss of my dog Wilbur last Fall. She is somewhat back to her old self again but way more moody.  

We discussed getting another dog to keep her company but she is so finicky and skittish. She is unfriendly to other dogs.

She and Wilbur were raised together from pups. 

I miss him.

I'm actually allergic to dog and cat dander, but I've never said I'll never get another dog. I've wanted to wait though, to mourn the passing of another, and that can take awhile. We had two dogs some years back, and I was on my way to a match when my wife calls asking what I thought about getting another dog. I told her I thought it was "a horrifically bad idea" but since I assumed it was a done deal, that I was sure I would love her like the others. I was right. She made the passing of our Aussie last year a bit less painful, although I think it was a struggle for her as well, it was weeks before she didn't go looking for her.

I'm with Will Rogers. If there are no dogs in heaven, when I die, I want to go where they went.

Wife and I have had a dog in our house for most of our marriage.  Got the first one while on vacation in the Ozarks.  Stopped at a motel/trading post and the owner had the cutest Pomeranian you have ever seen. In talking to them they had just gotten it because the previous owner was staying in the motel and had a stroke. When their family showed up to collect the belongings they left the dog. :angry:

Well before we left we became the new owners.

Since then we have owned a Schipperke, a Rottweiler, a Standard Poodle, and two papillons.  Lost Chewbaca last year :( and Billy the Kid :wub:is just now getting over it.

Chewbaca image.thumb.jpeg.7e33ad496cd15eaa0965b3ffc59b5c20.jpeg

Billy the Kid image.thumb.jpeg.c568724eef3f897e1fbae87ac7740726.jpeg

11 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

For more than thirty years, this house has had AT LEAST one dog in it!!  I do NOT plan for that to change!!!

It is the same with us Blackwater, the only time we have not had one is right after we had to put one down, and as Doc Ward said 

"I'm with Will Rogers. If there are no dogs in heaven, when I die, I want to go where they went"

Got my first dog in 98 from the pound. What a dog, when we had to put her down it was really tough on me. Then one day the wife showed up with what we have now. Picked it up along 65 Hwy. where it had be abandon. Was only 6 weeks old. Never seen anything so faithful in my life. Always at my side. Don't worry about dogs in heaven. God said everything that has the breath of life, which He included animals, will return to Him.

I know I've posted the below before, but I believe it is worthy of a repost, given the subject matter. Written by my youngest daughter as part of a blog she was doing for a class project. She has writing skill I wish I had.

Whats in a Name?
September 14, 2017

“That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”
Or so Shakespeare seemed to think.
Many cultures believe that names have power, some names so powerful that they should never be spoken out loud. But I’m not here to talk about names. I’m here to talk about my dog, Rowan.
She passed away last weekend, but I’m not here to talk about that either. (While I could certainly write several volumes about how unfair and unlucky it seems that my dog died, I don’t think that would help me arrive at any conclusions.)
As I’ve been researching horoscopes and the zodiac, the Celtic Tree Astrology has come up several times. The Rowan is the tree sign for those born between January 21 and February 17. My dad falls into this group, and fits the description given by whats-your-sign.com, and one line in particular describes him quite accurately.
“You have a natural ability to transform situations and people around you by your mere presence.”
But this quote doesn’t just describe my dad. It describes Rowan, as well. She was the most intuitive dog I’ve ever met, and always knew how to cheer me up when I was sad, calm me when I was anxious, and would often just lay on the couch with me, just passing the time.
Jane Gifford wrote in The Lesson of Trees:
“Rowan teaches us that we can draw on the forces of life to heal ourselves and those around us. We can develop the art of turning adversity into creative opportunity. Rowan protects and gives courage and strength to those walking the path of spiritual growth and enlightenment.”
Now, obviously my dog wasn’t versed in Celtic mythology. I don’t think she knew the meaning of her name, especially since I didn’t know until I started this project. And yet, to me, Rowan the dog embodied many of the descriptions associated with the Rowan tree. 
Maybe there is some truth to the belief that names are inherently powerful. Or maybe Shakespeare was right, and names have no real meaning. Or, maybe there’s some truth to both ideas, and names have their strength because of the associations we have with them.
While I’m unsure of a lot of things about the universe, there’s one thing I can be certain of: 
If luck exists, then I was truly lucky to have Rowan as my faithful companion for the past 11 years.

6639014-R1-015-6 copy.jpg

I had 2 German Shepherds as a boy, but because I travel a great deal, I haven’t gotten my own dog.  My wife has a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and I’m completely taken with this creature.

94C1CAEA-08A7-4461-97AB-B2E28E19A369.jpeg

I've posted before about our current dog and how we got her.  Her former owner got her as a rescue from a puppy mill.  We came in to do elder care and when the lady passed we got the dog (as well as the mobile home, praise God).   Unfortunately, the lady had wanted a purse dog - basically an animate stuffed animal - and was very possessive.  So we have spent the last 5 years letting her know that it is OK for her to be a dog, to run, play, greet other people and their dogs.

20180117_204813.jpg

20180415_122438.jpg

The Standard Poodle we had was like that.  Previous owners were very very strict and it woudn't even touch a plate sitting on the floor with a steak on it. :(

Took a lot doing but my wife :wub: talked them into letting her have it ( Read Rescued from a terrible life by someone that can sell ice cubes to an Eskimo during a blizzard.) 

Poor dog didn't know how to play or much of anything else. We spent a lot of time working with her and getting her to behave more like a dog. Had her for almost a year when an older woman my wife knew was in need of a companion. So we gifted her to a new and loving home.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The Standard Poodle we had was like that.

Poodles are so darned smart.   It is a wonder that ours hadn't gone insane.  Ditto for yours.  

April love being challenged when playing fetch.  I try to get the ball to hang up in some of the shrubbery where she has to burrow under it, or stretch up for it.  She quickly learned that when she looks at us for help and we say "Try!" or "You can do it!" or "Crawl" she needs to keep going after it.  95% of the time she can get it.  Sometimes she will back off, look at it, give a little huff or snort of frustration, think about it and try again.  

When we lost one of our dachsy's unexpectedly, my wife found a pound pup that needed a home. She's a pom, lhasa, or shitzu mix( not sure which). looks like a Tibetan spaniel, though. She's just a little sweetie play girl in fawn and white. Wife and SIL picked her out, but she's become a Daddy's girl:blush:

23 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

This one was rescued from a very abusive owner. He’s the best dog I’ve ever had.

B05C3F51-C50F-4A82-8621-F5B03EE16614.jpeg

Well Charlie’s sick, he had a seizure this afternoon and the vomited four times. Has been asleep for three hours now. He’s going to the vet tomorrow.

The amazing and spoiled Pampered Puppy Princess--Bitsy Boodles! She was my late wife's constant companion for 12 years.  I'm actually surprised that she lasted over a year after my wife passed away.  She was a full 6 pounds of pure love and adoration.  Haven't been able to handle getting another yet--truth be told, I'm a big dog person, never imagined a little one would grab my heart strings that hard.

1919305_1160692372842_1989022_n.jpg

On 7/14/2018 at 9:33 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

For more than thirty years, this house has had AT LEAST one dog in it!!

You don't bring 'im to Black Gold?  I have treats.

7 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

truth be told, I'm a big dog person, never imagined a little one would grab my heart strings that hard.

I had been the same way before we "inherited" April.  Going from dogs between 60 and 90 pounds to one under 10 pounds took some adjusting.  Roughhousing was out until she got some muscle on her.  Now I can rough her around a little.

What I can't figure out is how a 10 dog can take up as much space on the bed as a 90 pound dog.

Our current German Shepherd Java we adopted in 2014. Then this past April we lost our 16 yr old English Setter Kate.  East Coast Filly has finally finished mourning her, and Wednesday we go to meet this lovely lady. Her name is Lacey, she's 6, one year older than Java. If they get along she will be coming home with us.

e1889600-3f12-46da-810f-03b8bc4b46d5.jpg

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

You don't bring 'im to Black Gold?  I have treats.

Jezzy has been there every year!

We’ll introduce the two of you!

Archived