SASS Wire Forum

.357 or .45LC

Sean Hester

14 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

+10000

Who was it that just recently won a big match shooting pistols with 7.5 in long barrels? 

Yet people are always saying you can't be competitive using ____________

What they mean when they say "you" is "I".  

Since I am a total reactionary, if it's a choice between .38 Spl. or .45 LC...I go with... .44-40 or .44 Extra-long Russian (aka .44 Mangle-em reduced to match my .44-40 loads depending on which cylinders I install in my Ruger OMV's)!  Of course, the problem with the .44's nowadays is Ruger having discontinued the Old Model Vaqueros in .44-40.  Try various guns in .38 and .45 and see which suits you best. As was posted, the "problem" with the .38's is the lack of recoil if you are shooting Duelist, as moderate recoil rolls the gun up in your hand, allowing your thumb to more easily cock the gun for the next shot.

4 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Why only those two Choices ,,,, How about .38 WCF ( .38-40 ) in rifle and pistols.... Or .44 Special in a Pair of Open-Tops and .38WCF in a 66 ... Good for all classes except B-Western, there the rifle choice is a 92 , 94 or Lightning ... 

The .38 WCF is the best Choice for Black Powder there is ...And the slickest feeding round out there and legal for WB if that turns your crank ...

Jabez Cowboy

That's my choice for black powder cartridge.  Have both .38 and .45 for smokeless.  As I'm getting older, one day I'll thin the herd.  Probably end up with just .38 and .38-40 because I have nice Colts in those calibers... From there as years go by, I'll have to make my final choice.  Maybe one of my grandkids will be shooters?  

Archived