SASS Wire Forum

.357 or .45LC

Sean Hester

I am looking to start and I am  looking at 357 or 45 long Colt I am partial to 45 long Colt I do reload and I just wanted some opinions and some help picking  Also I am looking at the Marlin 1894  Impossible to find 357  right now They are out of stock everywhere  But 45 long Colt is available 

Sent you a PM with a source for Marlin Lever guns.

As for what caliber to shoot the vast majority of CAS shooters are shooting .38 Special ammo. That said shoot what you enjoy.

Me personally I shoot 38 Special. However if I was going to shoot a diferent caliber it would be 44-40. It has a lot less blowby than .45 Colt.

AAww the age old question....38 or 45.

There are plus and minus for each caliber.

Your going to have decide on one based on what you want to achieve in CAS. There are certain categories that require .40 caliber or larger guns, so the choice is obvious for Classic Cowboys. 45!

Then there cost differences between the 2 calibers which you have to consider as well. Economics say 38!

Flat out high speed shooters... 38!

Then ask yourself....

Chevy, Ford

Mary Ann, Ginger

Yup, there isn't a one size fits all answer for you, and I know many others will add opinions for you to consider. For me, its always been 45 Long Colt

This is a personal choice.

When I was thinking about getting in to cas, everyone was telling me I had to shoot 38/357 pistols and rifle and a 97 pump shotgun to be competitive.

Well, I went with 45LC revolvers, a 38/357 that I shoot 357 in and a hammered double.

With those guns, I made it in to the top 20 shoot off at EoT and I have a couple EoT class winner buckles. Not 1st but in the top 10 in class.

My point is, once you choose what you want to shoot, stick with it and keep getting better with those guns.

Actually the point is to be safe and have fun.

==============

45 colt bullet gives you 1/4" more target than 38s. ;^)

The correct answer is both. I myself have both and I think I may have a tiny bit more fun shooting the .45s even though I think I’m a tiny bit faster with the .357s. Whichever caliber I end up shooting it always turns out to be a good day so you can’t go wrong.

Buy the 45 you prefer.  However other than greater recoil the disadvantages of that choice of cartridge are: higher cost for powder & bullets, blow by.  To match the recoil of light CASS loadings for 38/357 requires using the wildcat 45CS cases.  

PS By default I started with the 45 Colt; because I had 2 Ruger Montados.  These were made for Cowboy Mounted Shooting where 45 Colt black powder blanks are used.  They aren’t regional or national match legal unless the grip enhancing is removed.  I though a pump action rifle had speed advantage over a lever action; however, some of the features of the Uberti Lightning rifle can slow your stage times.  I have since acquired a 2nd Ruger old model Vaquero in 357 & a cool looking Uberti 73 short rifle w/half octagonal barrel in 357.  Took 2.5 years to find one on Gunbroker after I struck out with LGS & Cabelas.  I got into reloading because 120+ cartridges required for a club match was depleting my disposable income.   

If you're Cowboy go with 45.  If you're joining this sport with goal of placing in the top, go with .357 (loaded lite).

It's the really expensive answer... 45 Colt, convert the rifle to shoot Cowboy45Special...  think 45ACP with a 45 Colt rim.  No modifications needed for the handgun, and you can do it yourself on the Marlin.   You can get 160 bullets and the reduce the recoil to nearly 38 Special levels... if you compare the 158 grain pills in that caliber.  Legal for all cagetories... EXCEPT Classic Cowboy.  In that category you have to use one of the toggle link guns.  (1860, 1866 or 1873).  Those 3 require a small mod to the bolt, and new carrier, so it's doable there also... just the added parts expense.

I started with .38s because I had a bunch of empty brass and reloading dies in that caliber and nothing in .45 LC.  After buying guns, leather, cowboy hat, boots, and everything else, I needed to save some money.

That was 16 years ago.  Today, I mainly shoot .38s, but I occasionally shoot my .45s and .44-40s. 

I shoot gunfighter and duelist with 44WCF and C45S.   A few months back I slipped a pair of Sawmill Mary's 38/357s out of the safe and did some practice shooting with the smokeless loads in 38 Short Colt with 105g bullets and just a pinch of TiteGroup.  It was just strange.  Almost no recoil didn't bring the gun up for my thumb to cock the hammer.   I could adapt I guess but it was different. 

I started with .38's almost 20 years ago, switched to .45's for a few years then went to .44-40 black powder for a good amount of time. I went back to .38's and smokeless, I should have stayed with .38's all along! Ease of shooting, cheaper to reload and I don't have wimpy loads either. I say go with .38's!!!;)

The only reason I would choose .45 these days is to compete in Classic Cowboy category.  I enjoyed shooting in that category for several years.  I cast my own bullets and it takes twice as much lead to feed a .45 as a .38.   (I know there are very light bullets available for .45s. But if you are trying to make a .38 out of a 45, what’s the point?)

So my only .45 caliber guns now are percussion revolvers.   Cartridges are .38/.357.

Let me add if you think you might do wild bunch and short on cash to buy guns go to 45.  A 45 rifle, 97 pump can be used for CAS (except a few categories) and are good for WB as well.  Just need two revolvers and a 1911 then.

I think one of the biggest gripes for WB is people who have 38 rifles do not necessarily want to buy another rifle for WB.

10 hours ago, Sean Hester said:

I am partial to 45 long Colt

Why?  That may be the answer to your original question.  When I started I chose 45 simply because that's what all the movie cowboys shot.  Later on I switched to 38 because I was loading for two people and 38s were much less expensive.  I know of world champion shooters who swear by 45s so I'm not going to say it's any less competitive than 38s.  The only real difference is cost and some category restrictions.

SH, others have given the pros and cons of cartridges so I'll keep my opinions.  As a new shooter you may not know that some Marlin rifles manufactured over the last few years had quality problems.  Older models with the JM stamp were pretty well made.  If the 1894 Marlin you are considering is one of the older models it would be worth purchasing.  BTW, there are some very cleaning burning  smokeless powders that produce little residue and thereby minimizing blow by.  Also, Marlin 1894s are good rifles for shooting black powder as they are easy to clean.

I shoot 'em all, and don't really have a preference. :mellow:

Sometimes it's .32-20's with teeny-weeny bullets and a pinch of smokeless.

Sometimes it's rip-roaring .45 Colts with 255 grain bullets and a compressed load of black.

At our state match this weekend, it will be .38's with 155 grain bullets and a casefull of BMZ or Pinnacle (black powder subs).

Kind of a "What do you want to have for lunch" thing. :)

First, welcome.  Get out to a match before you buy anything.

My local Cabelas has had the Marlin 1894 “standard” rifle in .44 Magnum in stock for a while.  Recently the “Cowboy Special” models appeared in .45 Colt and .44 Magnum.  All of the new guns are so-called “Remlins” made in New York.  Opinions vary on whether Marlin is making a quality 1894 again.  I’m pulling for them. I would also be very careful about buying one.

Some feel compelled to use a cartridge that was authentic to the 19th Century.  If so, keep in mind that there were no rifles chambered in .45 Colt.

Shoot what you want.  Play the game the way you want to play it.

First off, welcome to SASS, and welcome to the Wire! Get to a match and try both calibers before buying anything  - someone will almost certainly be willing to let you try their guns. 

Myself, I shoot .45, and have for about 10 years. I decided I liked the feel of revolvers in .44 or .45 over those chambered in .357. They just seem better balanced in my hands. Your mileage may vary. 

15 hours ago, Sean Hester said:

I am looking to start and I am  looking at 357 or 45 long Colt I am partial to 45 long Colt I do reload and I just wanted some opinions and some help picking  Also I am looking at the Marlin 1894  Impossible to find 357  right now They are out of stock everywhere  But 45 long Colt is available 

I believe the 45 rifle would get you a Wild Bunch option. Your revolvers and rifle don't have to be the same caliber or cartridge. It is probably too early in the game to worry about what is faster, but it would be good to avoid changing later to what might be more competitive for the average person.

I've seen folks win Match Over-All with .45s.  It's not the tool, it's the craftsman.

1 hour ago, McCandless said:

I've seen folks win Match Over-All with .45s.  It's not the tool, it's the craftsman.

+10000

Who was it that just recently won a big match shooting pistols with 7.5 in long barrels? 

Yet people are always saying you can't be competitive using ____________

T Bone won 2017 HOW overall, shooting classic cowboy shooting .45's.  - 165 shooters,

i shoot 45 colt by choice , if i had started a lot younger i might have gone with the 38/357 as it would seem it is faster for those that are fast to me , im not one to try to sway anyone because i just did what felt right to me at the time and stuck with it - and will continue to as the cost of switching at this point in life is not at all something i would consider , i did already have two 45colt firearms at the time and being cheap thought to keep my startup costs low , little did i know how much i might spend on this game in the end - not sayin id do it different if i had the chance tho , 

I started out in this game using a pair of .44 cal 51 Navies cap guns...with a .357 Marlin....then got into .357 cartridge pistols...Then found a pair of OMV in stainless steel also .357 but now wifey got the Marlin which has since turned into a Codymatic in .357 and I got a 66 in 44wcf. All that said I am now shooting a mismatched pair of ROA one is 5.5" and the other 7.5". Next on my I need list is a pair of cartridge guns in 44wcf. maybe a 73 too. 

I do cast for my rifle and pistol.

Ultimately decide what category you want to shoot and that may help make the decision

Hochbauer

23 hours ago, Kingsley said:

They are cheaper to shoot, but I can run my 45C faster then my 38.

Cardboard Cowboy

I wish other folks felt that way.....lol. I can't shoot Wild Bunch because they think the 38 isn't fair. I can make the 150 PF so then what's the diff? 

Getting off the original topic, but, I agree 100% Junky.  There is no advantage using a 38 in WB, and making 150 PF with a 38 is perfectly safe.  Just opened Pandora's box with that comment I'm sure.  

CC

45 Colt.

Why only those two Choices ,,,, How about .38 WCF ( .38-40 ) in rifle and pistols.... Or .44 Special in a Pair of Open-Tops and .38WCF in a 66 ... Good for all classes except B-Western, there the rifle choice is a 92 , 94 or Lightning ... 

The .38 WCF is the best Choice for Black Powder there is ...And the slickest feeding round out there and legal for WB if that turns your crank ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived