SASS Wire Forum

Anyone shoot 32-20 as main match rifle

Larabee

Hello pards,

I'm in a transition phase from 45 colt smokeless to cap and ball and black powder cartridge shooting. Trying to decide what i want to buy for a main match rifle. I know it will be a 66 or 73, but still undecided on the caliber. I know most shoot a 38/40 or 44/40, but I've always had a fascination with the 32/20. I may even buy a set of revolvers to shoot bp cartridges in when not shooting c &b revolvers and pretty certain they will be 32/20. I've shot alot of them in double action pistols but never with bp.  Would love to hear thoughts and imput on the 32/20 as my main rifle. Thanks in advance, 

Larabee 

I don't do it regularly, but I have an original (mfg. 1897) Winchester 1892 in .32 WCF that I will shoot a couple of stages with when I'm having a not-so-good match. It never fails to put  a smile back on my face.

If you use a standard 115gr bullet and a case full of fffg, they won't have a problem hearing the dings.  One of my stable is an Uberti 32-20 rifle.  Has had a few teething problems compared to other calibers.  Uberti uses the same magazine tube as for all other calibers which can make it hard to load.  A mag tube liner helps.  And Uberti uses the same bolt assembly as .357, so not fit for the .32 and can have extraction issues until properly set up.  Other than that, love it!  Feeds very smoothly.

I have three 32-20s. Two are Marlin early models and the third an early Winchester 1892.  I've shot the Marlin 94 SRC in a number of matches with BlackMZ loads.  I've shot the Winchester 1892 in several matches - again, loaded with BlackMZ.  

My loads put out more than enough smoke to make regulations and decidedly have more target "smack" than the typical 38 Special mouse phart loads. The report has a crack to it that says they are above sonic velocity.  

My guns are 100÷ years old and the 32-20 was made to cycle through them and they cycle well.

The only downside is, brass is not as plentiful or as inexpensive as 38 Special.  And case life seems to be shorter. I should probably anneal them about every fifth reload. 

I shoot 32-20 fairly regularly. It's one of my most favorite calibers to shoot. In addition to my two Taylor Cattleman pistols in 32-20 I have an original 1892 that I shoot once in awhile, and a Uberti 1873 along with a Browning 73 that I switch between quite often. My full load of 100 grain RNFP over Trail Boss dings the plates quite well and is louder then some others shooting mouse fart 38 special loads. If you look at the ballistics of a 32-20 with 115 gr. tip, & 38 Special with a 125 gr. tip, they are not that far apart. If you get one I guarantee you'll like it.

.32-20 is a fun caliber to shoot.

I don't see new guns chambered for it all that often, but they are out there.   But on the other hand, it's pretty easy to find used things in the caliber, often for less money than one of the bigger calibers.

While I normally shoot .44's and .45's, I do take out the .32's on occasion.

When fired from a 1st generation 7.5" Colt SAA, the .32-20 is the loudest cartridge I own.   When fired from it's 5.5" 3rd gen companion, it is much quieter.  Go fig.

Rifles...

First thing I got in this caliber was a 24" octagon barreled Winchester 73.   Incredibly accurate gun, even with a less than pristine bore.  Gave me the .32-20 bug, and led to me getting everything else.   Used at the Michigan state shoot a few years back.  Someone asked me, "Is that a real Winchester?  I've never handled one before!  Can I look at it, maybe work the action?"  I said sure.   The fellow could not operate the lever.   He was so used to slicked up short stroked Ubertis that he though my gun was jammed or something.   I find the action to be quite smooth and not at all heavy

Second rifle I got was a 20" round Winchester 92.  Sweet little gun.

But my most recent .32-20 is I think destined to be my favorite in this caliber, and 1891 vintage Colt Lightning.   WOW, this is a fun gun to shoot!

So good luck, and welcome to the small bore club.

32-20 has to be the perfect cartridge for SASS.  Loaded with 115 gr bullets at about 800 fps from pistols, 1000 fps rifle, there is no problem with knock downs, spotting, or blow-by.  Cases come out so clean they don’t even have to be tumbled.

One problem that I had was rifle bullets backing into the case when shot in my Uberti ‘73.  I had to trim about .040” off of the bottom of my sizing die to get enough neck to hold the bullet.  (I use a Lee Factory Crimp die with a heavy crimp as well.)

It’s been said that 32-20 is the most efficient way known to man to convert gunpowder to noise!

I have shot 32 WCF since 1959 in originals with Colt, S&W etc.

Now it is a real pleasure to have that history to shoot them exclusively in SASS events since 1996.

I have 4  clone   Uberti 73's  4 clone Colt 'BP frame ;73's and two S&W M&P

My wife and I really enjoy the caliber and guns.

It is easy to load  1) re-prime 2) fill case to mid-neck with either 2F or 3F powder (not propellant), 30 seat and lightly crimp the neck

I have yet to have a KD not go  (when hit),

Good luck finding them,

Ol'  #4

I wouldn't be concerned with making steel ring, and targets fall.....my 25.20 with APP FFg makes it all happen, so 32.20 would as well.

17 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The .32-20 has to be one of the most underrated, and unappreciated cartridges of all time.  :unsure:

One heck of a cartridge, even by today's standards using smokeless. 

OLG

I agree. I have several 32 WCF guns. Some original rifles and even a Rossi converted to 32 WCF

DSCN0437.jpg.0c0fcee0a747e6f75c29a7f9afde233d.jpg

At the time there just weren't any decent 32 WCF carbines out there so the Rossi got re-lined and re-timed to 32-20. This was bck in the 90's and since then Uberti and others have come out with 32-20 rifles.

For NRA pistol cal silhouette I was shooting an original 92 octagon rifle in 32-20.

DSCN0662.thumb.JPG.9fb30cdc3cadbfe5fc8c55c34415e48d.JPG

This gun is 124 years old. So, I just bought one of the Uberti 66's in 32 WCF so I can retire the 92.

As for modern 32-20, Marlin made the 1894 CL classic in both 25 and 32. They were 22" with half mag guns but this one got a full length tube along with CAS action work.

Marlin Model 1894 Cl Classic Full Mag With Cas Action Work. .32-20 Win.

IMG_1769.thumb.JPG.1952b6260ac3779e6df33268cedaff53.JPG

Kay Sadeeya's main match rifle is a 66 saddle ring carbine in 32-20 - she loves it.  It was a Christmas gift for her in 2015 (& for me - I clean our long guns).  It did take a little extra work to make it match ready, because the loading gate tab isn't quite long enough to stop the cartridge.  The 66 uses the same bolt & carrier as for 357/38s.  The 32-20 case rim is 0.030" smaller than a 38 & the case body is 0.050" smaller, so the case can slip by the loading gate tab pretty easily.  When we first got the gun, I found that it would handle 8 rounds fine, but when you put a 9th round in the tube, the spring pressure would push it past the loading gate tab.  Mad Dane & I collaborated & figured out that by drilling/tapping a boss in the receiver for a #3 screw, you can make a secondary cartridge stop opposite the loading gate tab.  Our solution works really well - you can load 10 rounds & it feeds them just fine.  The gun has been 100% reliable.

We also have a Marlin 94 in 32-20 that I shoot every now & then.  Like NKJ's gun above, someone put a full length mag tube on it.

Both are really easy to clean after shooting BP.  We put an empty case in the chamber, spray Ballistol down the barrel, then let them sit overnight.  Next morning, I pull a bore snake through the barrels, wipe them down & they are done.

Our load is a 105 gn bullet over a full case of 3FG Goex.  We have never heard a gripe from spotters about not ringing the targets...but we have heard gripes from people when they get a 32-20 case mixed in with their 38s.

Holler

Gun Parts Corp and Homestead and I'm sure other places have replacement magazine tubes for the original 25-20 and 32-20 Marlins and Winchesters.   I have used them on several old Marlins. They are smaller in diameter. 

493437678_marlinendplug.jpg.270288bf91034b69e5a4263005bfedea.jpg

Here is a plug and follower for an original 32WCF Marlin below. Above is a follower I turned out on a lathe and an end plug I turned down from one ment for a modern 357/38. 

I also like the 32-20, It's one I bring out about 2-3 times a year just for fun. Main cal. is 38-40. I had to modify mine also. From Homestead I got a 32-20 mag. tube, spring and follower for my Uberti  Deluxe rifle. Also have original '73 and '92. I scoured the inside of the Uberti tube and outside of the 32-20 tube with 36 grit paper, cut it to proper length to below the Uberti tube threads. I had to make a small adapter for the hole in the receiver. Unlike Winchester that made two different '73 receivers, one for 44-40,  38-40 and .22 with an adapter. Another for 32-20, according to Pirkle's books. I cleaned them good and centered the tube with .032 wire, a little trial and error, covered the threads in modeling clay, slathered the tubes in Brownells Accraglass, whipped off the excess let it set and good to go. Works good, no complaints. 115 gr. bullet, case full of 3f,,,,,,,, boom, smoke and fire just like it's big brothers. And you can hear the ding.,,,,,,,,,,,,, when I hit something :rolleyes:. Pistols or rifles, 1pr. Colts, 2pr. of Ubertis. I only use b/p in my '73's don't like tearing down '92's. Fun caliber!

One thing, be careful of using different headstamp cases. I bought my '73 in 1966 and for almost 40 yrs I bought whosever ammo I could get and shoot,, just never reloaded. Here comes SASS, they get me in '96, and I start reloading in earnest. I'd been reloading since '68, just not 32-20. So I decide to load 32-20, get new brass (Starline), bullets, dies. Grab a hand full of some of the older brass and some Starline an load a batch. Take it to the range next time I go. Can't shoot a magazine without a malfunction. Bullets nose-diving back in the case XXX ?? Get home check OAL ,,, oal's OK, check cases. Long story short, 5-6 different headstamps. Took some time but figured out each headstamp had a different "case" length. Not much but enough to have to reset your crimp die for each headstamp. Sooo  with Starline being the shortest, trim almost a 1/2 gal. jar of cases to Starline length  ,,,,,,,,,,,,, by hand ?,,,,, no way. Ebay to the rescue ,,,,,,, $45.00 shipped, Lyman electric trimmer, just a little clean-up and adjustment. I spent one whole weekend trimming cases. Now I can just grab a handful out of the jar an reload.Just a heads-up for you. 

Good shooting,

Isom

+1 to Abilene and Cypress Sam's topics.  I found replacing the extractor with a new one from Pioneer and using the one piece firing pin from The Gun Shop worked for me.  If you shoot BP, no issue on the crimping problems with bottle neck cases. 

Starline is considerably shorter than R-P.  I was sorting cases until I bought 1000 new R-P from Pettifogger.  Now those get used for smokeless, and all the older mixed brass gets used for BP at the same OAL as the smokeless, with a Lee FCD.  Like KH24 said, the full case of powder will keep the bullet from pushing deeper in the case if it had a mind to.

Archived