SASS Wire Forum

Reloading .38 Short Colt

Chief Rick

Anyone reloading .38 Short Colt?

What are you using for bullet seater and crimp dies?

Do you see any problem using a taper crimp (.380 or .38 Super) instead of a roll crimp?

Mary shot the 38 Short Colt for a couple of years.  We just used a set of Lee dies for 38 Short and Long Colt.  We also use the same setup to load 38 Special and 357 Magnum just by adjusting the dies. The Lee die set just put in a roll crimp.  

In talking with Dillon (loading on a 550) while the tech didn't specifically say .38 Special dies WOULDN'T work, he said I needed to use either .38 Super or .380 ACP to seat and crimp.

I would much rather use .38 Special dies if they will work.

We have the Lee die set setup in a Dillon 450. We use the old Dillon 450 manual powder measure on top of the Lee expander and powder through die.  RCBS powder check locking die is in station 3 and Lee seat/crimp die in 4.  

1 hour ago, dannyd said:

the Lee 38 short dies work best , I use a 9mm tapered crimp die.

+1 ... I used the Lee 38 short/long colt die set as well ... and added a 38/357 Factory Crimp Die (as I preferred a roll crimp) ... just adding a spacer on top of the crimping sleeve so it would reach.

If  you want to experiment with a taper or roll crimp just pick up a 9mm crimping sleeve for $3 from Lee and use that as the spacer (or reverse and use the 38 sleeve as the spacer for the crimp of you choice).  

https://leeprecision.com/crimp-sleeve-9mm.html

I managed to cobble together a set-up that allowed me to load 100 rounds.

I used a Redding .38 Special sizer/deprimer along with a Dillon 9mm powder funnel, seater die and taper crimp die.

Not crazy about the taper crimp - I think I'm over crimping.  I'm using 105 gr TCFP Hi-Tek coated bullets.

I believe I have a Lee .38 Special factory crimp die somewhere.  Need to locate that.

Wife fired off two rounds to test and liked the feel.  She'll shoot them this weekend in a match and let me know.

There are light loads your maining crimping to take the bell out.   I don't crimp any round very heavy, especially SASS rounds.   They are fun next try 38 Long Colt.   You can make both out of split 38 special and 357 magnum cases.

The Lee .38 short/Long Colt dies are inexpensive and work great. A Lot less hassle than trying to piece something together. $33.49 at Midway

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/123113/lee-carbide-3-die-set

22 minutes ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

The Lee .38 short/Long Colt dies are inexpensive and work great. A Lot less hassle than trying to piece something together. $33.49 at Midway

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/123113/lee-carbide-3-die-set

Will be buying the Lee set, but I needed to get some rounds loaded for testing before this weekend.

No reloading shops around here that carry .38 Short Colt dies.

Besides, I already had the stuff I needed to piece together something.:D

I shoot 38 Short in my conversions. The Lee die set works great and I just put a light crimp using the seating die. I shoot a 105 bullet but with holy black. It is a fun round once you get the dies set for the right bell setting. I usually shoot my conversions in bad weather instead of the C&B that I normally shoot. Did you pick up any C&B revolvers in Amarillo? Enjoy your summer. DC

20150115_141416.jpg

20150115_141359.jpg

No C&B, but I do have a hammered double on the way.:D

My SKB did not play well with my BP-sub loads last weekend - I ended up shooting the last stage single-shot.

Ordered the Lee dies last night.

We have been loading 38 Short Colts on our Dillon 550 for about 4 years.  Using Lee 38 Short/Long sizer, seater & crimp dies.  The only oddity is that we are using the expander/powder tube from a 9mm caliber conversion kit.  Nary a problem.

Holler

11 hours ago, Hollifer A. Dollar said:

We have been loading 38 Short Colts on our Dillon 550 for about 4 years.  Using Lee 38 Short/Long sizer, seater & crimp dies.  The only oddity is that we are using the expander/powder tube from a 9mm caliber conversion kit.  Nary a problem.

Holler

That's going to be my setup as well. 

Dillon tech recommended either .380 ACP or .38 Super expander, seater and taper crimp die. 

The Dillon 9mm and .38 Super expander is the same. 

Archived