SASS Wire Forum

took my 1866 to the range for first shooting

watab kid

it worked great for me - nice tight cowboy group at about 1 o'clock , let a youngster shooting next to me that showed interest try it , great young eyes and a steady hand - he proved both my loads and the rifle shoot better than me by putting everything dead center in the bulls eye - i think the sights are great too , so i am a happy cowboy with that brass receiver rifle , he thinks he wants to get one - maybe take up SASS , i might have recruited a convert as well , who knows ?

A new '66 Yellowboy..

I remember when I got mine.. :) mighty purty rifle..

Please.. If you haven't already..

Yank out that loading gate and reinforce that little tab..

It not so much "If it bends and breaks off"

but "When it does it"

Mine broke during my first match.. :huh: back in '04..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' yer ownership will be much more harmonious  :)

So.  Your saying your ready for the Granite City Gunslingers Minn. State match--The North Star= next weekend    See you there       GW

Yes, do the loading gate. Put off doing the Wifes rifle and of course it broke during a match. 9 misses on that stage, long ride home :(

Short of some Springs  and fixing the ladle before it brakes .

The 66 is a very nice rifle .

I have and always be a 92 man .

But I have a love for the 66 .

Is this loading gate problem a newer era 66? I bought mine in 2002 and sold it in 2006 when I switched to 38's from 44-40. During that 4 year span there was at least several hundred rounds run through it. I was also using a 73. I still have that. As far as I know the guy that bought it hasn't had any problems with it. We shoot together quite a bit.

1 hour ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

Is this loading gate problem a newer era 66? I bought mine in 2002 and sold it in 2006 when I switched to 38's from 44-40.

CW..

I bought mine at about the same time..2003..

I bought it in 38 special.. You bought in 44-40..

There lies the difference I believe..

It seems the loading gate (ladle) breaking  happens on the 38 special models..

Rance ;)

Just my thinkin':huh:

mine is a 45colt , i started there and have stuck with it , old habits , ill get that loading gate done tho , 

nope- cant make the GCG MN state shoot as i have to work and could find no-one to take my hours again this year , i would love to do it one day soon tho , maybe next year ? i think i would enjoy it and could camp or drive home the 20 miles , no big deal either way , 

9 hours ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

Is this loading gate problem a newer era 66? I bought mine in 2002 and sold it in 2006 when I switched to 38's from 44-40. During that 4 year span there was at least several hundred rounds run through it. I was also using a 73. I still have that. As far as I know the guy that bought it hasn't had any problems with it. We shoot together quite a bit.

I bought my 1866, in .45 Colt, around the same time. I had to replace the loading gate after about 4 years, so I don't think the problem was/is confined to any one calibre.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I bought my 1866, in .45 Colt, around the same time. I had to replace the loading gate after about 4 years, so I don't think the problem was/is confined to any one calibre.

I should have been a bit clearer when I referred to my 66 being a 44-40; the caliber wasn't what I was referring to. I was trying, but didn't say it right that it's an older era of the 66 than what is being produced today. Mine was built 16 years ago. I think quite a few of the newer products of ANY KIND aren't as good as the ones from 10, 20 or 30 years back.  It seems things need to be rushed from the factories into use no matter of the quality of the finished item.

The only constant item I can think of being as good as it was 30 years ago is Captain Ken's Baked Beans. Made in Minnesota....lip smacking good, and can be ordered online.

MMMM! Beans.

We can now get Bush's beans up here now.

Sometimes.

Never seen or tried Captain Ken's. 

Have to put it on my list to try to find when I go south of the Medicine Line.

My Uberti 66 in .38-40 is at least 30 years old and the Ladle broke 3 years ago ..... Got the new renforced one in it now ....

I seldom use my 66 in .45 Colt any more ....

I shoot FCD and love the No blow back of the .38 WCF. haven't had the sideplates of since I put the new ladle in ....

With my 66 in .45 Colt I used to take them off and clean in the action every couple of years , should probley think about checking in under the plate been 5 years or so...

Jabez Cowboy

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:49 AM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

That's great!

But listen to them about the loading gate/ladle.

You'd think they would fix that...…….it's only been that way for decades. 

Archived