SASS Wire Forum

Rugged gear cart fix

Catlow4697

I found some flanged bearings to fit the shaft of the front wheel ..Ace hardware had them ..Mine measured 1/2 by 1 1/8 inches and these dropped right in. Bearings are about twice as thick as originals..

Here are pictures of old flange ball bearing. Two of these are used on my four gun cart that was bought at Winter Range 2016

they are for the vertical shaft of the front wheel.  The shaft has locknut on the upper end of it.  New flange bearings came from localACE hardware store .  They has the plastic boxes of specialty bolts and fasteners,I didn't see a part number listed just the price less than $5.00 each plus tax.  The size I used is 1/2 by 1 1/8 inch .  Old bearing fell out with removal of shaft  New bearing was a finger push in fit I guess I got lucky.  With all wobble removed from shaft by tightening locknut the shaft turns better than new. I hope this helps someone else as I wasn't going to buy another cart. Time to do takes as long as to read this. 

Catlow

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

For any of you who need these bearings I have a few that I’ve taken out of the wheels that I use for gun carts and if you’ll pay the shipping I’ll give you a set. I replace these with a bearing that hopefully will never wear out but there is nothing wrong with the ones that I’m giving away. 

2 hours ago, Catlow4697 said:

Here are pictures of old flange ball bearing. Two of these are used on my four gun cart that was bought at Winter Range 2016

they are for the vertical shaft of the front wheel.  The shaft has locknut on the upper end of it.  New flange bearings came from localACE hardware store .  They has the plastic boxes of specialty bolts and fasteners,I didn't see a part number listed just the price less than $5.00 each plus tax.  The size I used is 1/2 by 1 1/8 inch .  Old bearing fell out with removal of shaft  New bearing was a finger push in fit I guess I got lucky.  With all wobble removed from shaft by tightening locknut the shaft turns better than new. I hope this helps someone else as I wasn't going to buy another cart. Time to do takes as long as to read this. 

Catlow

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The pics are super blurry-:(

Are there any makers name, and/or part numbers on the bearings?

OLG  

Okay folks the bearings you need, in Catlows opinion are these. I don’t have a Rugged Gear cart to verify but the bearings in his photos are the same ones that I replace in my gun cart wheels. The other pictures are of the replacement bearings that I use that are a much higher quality but the ones that I’m giving away (they have paint on them) will out last us all. I hope this helps. As I understand it this is probably the weak point on all of these older carts and if this will get them back on the trail I’m glad to help outC6F6541D-C22B-4761-ACD2-8D2804D68E42.thumb.jpeg.ec85ea99acdb059820ec0115f71e62d3.jpeg69C1C5E7-8DF4-49B8-8E36-7D9A12219931.thumb.jpeg.a09b89d47369cd4ed5a5a9ffbba0c626.jpegA4D68E03-9E56-4F48-B761-F265F2429BF9.thumb.jpeg.4fae085f5081ac3ac1e1566257a7e6db.jpeg

BFE9599B-510A-4569-BBF4-629F14DD7176.jpeg

D107CE5D-B12D-4A4F-B907-ABE3A59AD0AB.jpeg

43F7129D-45EB-4D6B-AB56-42F47A85D4F4.jpeg

518CC0A3-3928-4831-9B9C-C9310FE27768.jpeg

1 hour ago, Catlow4697 said:

No just google flange ball bearings. You are making this harder than it is to fix 

How is ask'n for a PN, "making this harder than it is to fix"? :wacko:

There are thousands of shoulder(flange)bearings out there with similar dimensions.

Thank you, Yul :excl:

OLG

If you have an old bearing, just take it to a Bearings Incorporated or similar store near you. They can usually grab a vernier caliper & fix you up with a replacement bearing faster than you can look up their phone number.

3 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

If you have an old bearing, just take it to a Bearings Incorporated or similar store near you. They can usually grab a vernier caliper & fix you up with a replacement bearing faster than you can look up their phone number.

+1000

Don't have a rugged gear cart but I took a look at our local ACE hardware and they had similar looking bearings in a few different sizes.  As for part numbers some of the bins had the same bearing from 2 or 3 different manufacturers.

Now if you want fun go looking for wheel bearings that look like these.

image.png.7767b251adf5fb2c7fe2982fb2ac27ba.png

First time I needed a set it took the guy at Industrial Bearing a couple of days but he came up with a a set of replacements.

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OK SD, what did the bearings go to? :blink:

OLG

They were for an old Kewannee elevator that we used back when my dad still farmed.  Looked like this one

image.png.a31dde2bec74219b4f5d55c8cc1a0fbe.png

The target trailer at one of the clubs I shoot at also uses them.  Usually the tell is that the cap on the hub is held on with 2 or 3 bolts instead of a press fit.

VXB Bearings has a fantastic website. If they don’t have the bearing you need you probably don’t need it. I bought 10 bearing sets for $29.00 awhile back and they are about the best bearings I’ve ever come across. 

Archived