SASS Wire Forum

Questions left un-answered

an interesting article on Canada Free Press this moring

The Danger Of Our Time: When Questions Are Left To Die Unanswered

asks

“Why is it that liberals demand gun control after every shooting - but never border control after every rape and murder by illegals?!” 

the author continues

Those sorts of ‘memes’, as they’re called, perhaps rile people up. But, in the big picture, in the sea of words out there, that no one seems to slow down and sort through, it is a good question that should be answered. And that query caught my mind, and wouldn’t let it go. Doctors look at symptoms and thereby assess the possible underlying causes of those outer manifestations of an advancing disease. I suddenly saw that meme as present societal symptoms screaming out for a closer look.

the left uses a lot of specious arguments because if they asked honestly for what they really want, -- a single Administrative State for the entire world -- they would get tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail.

gun safety,   my *

the only effective gun safety is to make sure you got one when you need it and you know how to use it.    could be good instruction and safety classes -- like Eddie Eagle -- would be what gun safety is really all about.   interesting that the left often doesn't allow the Eddie Eagle safety class to be presented in schools.   Can't have that nasty NRA gang around our kids,  no sireeee.

13 hours ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

the left uses a lot of specious arguments because if they asked honestly for what they really want, -- a single Administrative State for the entire world -- they would get tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail.

If you look at all the arguments/talking points of the antis - both sides of the aisle - you find that they are pathetic. That is, an appeal to pathos, or the emotions, or ethic, trying to convince the listener of their high moral, or ethical, ground.  Almost never do they resort to logos, or logic. 

On July 3, 2018 at 8:22 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

If you look at all the arguments/talking points of the antis - both sides of the aisle - you find that they are pathetic. That is, an appeal to pathos, or the emotions, or ethic, trying to convince the listener of their high moral, or ethical, ground.  Almost never do they resort to logos, or logic. 

There is no logical reason for the kinds of regulations and bans that the antis scream for. Emotion and misplaced ethical abstractions are all these people have to offer!!  The more logical you make the conversation, the more emotional they will become!  Then, in an emotional overload, they'll resort to name calling and the old "Well!!  We have to do SOMETHING" retoric that they tend to fall back on!!

14 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

There is no logical reason for the kinds of regulations and bans that the antis scream for. Emotion and misplaced ethical abstractions are all these people have to offer!!  The more logical you make the conversation, the more emotional they will become!  Then, in an emotional overload, they'll resort to name calling and the old "Well!!  We have to do SOMETHING" retoric that they tend to fall back on!!

I've found that the most common response is along the lines of 'Well, I know that if I had a gun right now I'd shoot you!"   To which I respond with "Good that you know you can't be trusted with a firearm. Now you need to quit projecting your own violent tendencies and lack of discipline onto everyone else."

The above is followed closely by variants on hoping I get shot, or someone in my family gets shot, "so you'll know what it feels like."

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've found that the most common response is along the lines of 'Well, I know that if I had a gun right now I'd shoot you!"   To which I respond with "Good that you know you can't be trusted with a firearm. Now you need to quit projecting your own violent tendencies and lack of discipline onto everyone else."

The above is followed closely by variants on hoping I get shot, or someone in my family gets shot, "so you'll know what it feels like."

I use the same basic response to the same emotional outburst!  I've also pointed out to these people that I DO, in fact, know how it feels to be shot as well as how it feels to be stabbed.  This usually shuts them up and leaves them with the most precious, incredulous look on their faces!!

the emotional arguments are designed to play on the prejudices of the people.

guns cause shooting, gun violence, and death.

so: we need to ban all guns, ASAP

we all know that a gun ban will disarm a lot of honest folks and will not prevent criminals from getting guns.

if it saves 1 life it's worth it !!

how many lives will be lost because people cannot defend themselves in emergency?

what will be the NET effect?

honest people don't defend themselves with guns.

they call 911

go for it

average response time is about 5 minutes

----

it's a specious argument -- derived from news-propaganda derived from talking points that are distributed "from behind the curtain" ( look into Shayrl Attkisson "The Smear".   check into David Brock and a place called "Media Matters" )

the Administrative State -- wants to establish and to maintain a monopoly on the use of arms -- which is exactly what is forbidden by the Second Amendment.

Suggested Reading

CDC, in Surveys It Never Bothered Making Public, Provides More Evidence That Plenty of Americans Innocently Defend Themselves with Guns

excerpt

CDC surveys in the 1990s, never publicly reported, indicate nearly 2.5 million defensive uses of guns a year. That matches the results of Gary Kleck's controversial surveys, and it indicates more defensive than offensive uses of guns.

be sure to read the update at the start of the essay.

Archived