SASS Wire Forum

Converting Percussion Cylinder to Cartridge

grenadier

2 hours ago, grenadier said:

Is it possible to convert a Dragoon cylinder to .45 Colt? I would like to retain the roll markings on the cylinder.

Ya know, I did recently read some guys DIY guide on how he did it.  But he had a garage of machining equipment to do.  I don't think he estimated out the cost of doing it though.

Get in touch with this man. He does all kinds of work on conversions. He carries all of the different convertors, as well as making Thuer conversions. He also has a 45-60-250 Brimstone conversion for the Walker that has performance numbers that are unbelievable. He might even be able to convert your existing cylinder to save your markings, although I think this option would be a little pricey.

http://www.cartridgeconversion.com/Home_Page.php

Yes, it is.

And there is more than one way to do it.

You can do a Kirst Konversion that has an SAA style loading gate, which requires you to cut the frame to load through it, or you can get an R&D type conversion that requires you to remove the barrel to load/unload the cylinder.    There are pros and cons to each type.  In either case, you get a new cylinder that replaces the C&B one, and both are not engraved.

There may be people who will do a "period" style conversion by doing the work to your original cylinder, but I do not know who, or how much such a thing would cost.   While the "new cylinder" conversions will get you one chambered for .45 Colt, if you were to convert your C&B cylinder, it would probably wind up in .44 Colt, just like the originals did, and that could be problematic to reload for.

4 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

He also has a 45-60-250 Brimstone conversion for the Walker that has performance numbers that are unbelievable.

I betcha that little puppy will make ya pay attention to the second shot !   :o  :D

Archived