SASS Wire Forum

Hercules Unique Powder - OLD!

Chief Rick

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Not rare ,I have a few on the shelf my father left me and I have a dozen or more of the one pound cans made of  metal. 

Open it up and shoot it.

When I started shooting again after a 20+ years of not having time,  I just started by using the Unique that was still in the powder measure when I left off.  I had some in open cans and used it up.  Then I was pleased to discover an unopened 8lb canister that was at least over 20 years. I didn't remember having it.  Used that up. Well into a fresh 8lb jug and have another when that runs out. The new stuff burns a lot cleaner.

I have several of the old square metal cans that are empty of Unique. They may be 50 years old. 

My Unique is at least 50 years older than that stuff and still works as intended ..... Mine is in a Metal can with a lid you press down on the center to open and press the sides to seal ...

Jabez Cowboy

Not trying to get rich but had heard there may be a market for the older style cans (understanding that *older* is very subjective).

28 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Not trying to get rich but had heard there may be a market for the older style cans (understanding that *older* is very subjective).

The can may have some collector value but the powder is still likely good as new.  I don't think collectors want powder in them. 

I wouldn't throw out the can.  I have many empty powder cans - including a 15 pound keg that once was full of Unique.  

I was loading last week using a cardboard can of Unique, just like that.  Worked great!

To me, that cans not that old.  In my powder storage cupboard, I have several different Hercules powders (Blue Dot, Green Dot, Unique, Bullseye) in the cardboard cans with the metal top and plastic spout.

Archived