SASS Wire Forum

Shipping pistol costs

Bootless Bob

I'm looking to sell a pair of Vaqueros and I am trying to determine what the shipping cost will be.  My box is 10lb 7oz and overnight shipping is about $150, is this right? I calculated a long distance from Idaho to Florida just to get an idea of the cost if my buyer lived far from me.  Is this about what others are paying these days?  FYI this is the cost of a non licensee shipping to a FFL.  According to FEDEX and UPS websites they will only ship handguns overnight. 

They say overnight but most ship 2 day saver.  Cost a lot less even with insurance.

I have my FFL ship handguns that I sell.

He generally uses USPS flat rate boxes.

With insurance, it usually costs under $25

--Dawg

I used to ship handguns USPS through an FFL holder who charged me $20 for the transfer, and I paid actual shipping. Usually ended up under $40 total.

Ask around your clubs - most will have an FFL holder or two who will perform this service for a very reasonable fee. There used to be a couple here who would do transfers for club members for free. Maybe still do, I don't know.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least six in just two of the clubs I regularly shoot with.

1 hour ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

--Dawg

Yes, this seems like the best way.  My FFL of choice can't so I'll have to find an alternate. 

24 minutes ago, Bootless Bob said:

Yes, this seems like the best way.  My FFL of choice can't so I'll have to find an alternate. 

Can't or won't? 

1 hour ago, Bootless Bob said:

There are plenty of FFLs in the Post Falls and CDA area.  I can recommend one if you like.

12 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

--Dawg

+ 10000 Let the FFL dealer make a couple bucks, it's worth it and it's less hassle for you!

In my area, the only local ffl that will ship charges a flat fee of $75. While not cheap, to ship ups or fedex overnight would cost at least that much, and both agencies locally make it a real pita to ship guns

On 6/23/2018 at 5:30 PM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

--Dawg

This is the least expensive way for a non licensee to ship pistols. FFL to FFL can go through the Post Office in a flat rate box.

J.M.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:26 PM, Redwood Kid said:

In my area, the only local ffl that will ship charges a flat fee of $75. While not cheap, to ship ups or fedex overnight would cost at least that much, and both agencies locally make it a real pita to ship guns

Long guns would go UPS or FedEx, but an FFL can ship handguns priority mail for a lot less than $75 ($25 fee + $50 postage). It the shipment won't fit in a flat rate box, you will pay more but not that high.

2 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Long guns would go UPS or FedEx, but an FFL can ship handguns priority mail for a lot less than $75 ($25 fee + $50 postage). It the shipment won't fit in a flat rate box, you will pay more but not that high.

So you know what the costs are for running these gun shops???

Phantom

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So you know what the costs are for running these gun shops???

Phantom

Are you bored and looking for drama?

38 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Are you bored and looking for drama?

I'm interested in whether you know what the costs are? You made a statement that implies you do.

What's wrong with that? 

Doesn't anyone here ever get tired of folks making statements without any facts to back them up???

What exactly is the Cowboy Way???

Phantom

1 hour ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Roscoe, you need to re read the post. RK said the FFL charges that and it’s the only FFL in his area so he’s kind of stuck. It’s getting very difficult in my part of SoCal to find an FFL that will do it at all and when I do find one I don’t mind him doing all of the work and charging for it. 

Some folks think it's a breeze to ship stuff out. Some times it's rather easy...some times it's a real PITA. 

I'm always amazed that folks that haven't dealt with the day to day dealings of a modern gun shop can opine on what is and what isn't a reasonable charge.

And yes, I'll ship to California and NOOOO, it's not that big of a deal to do so. 

Cheers!!

Phantom

Some shops view transfers (through the mail/usps/fedex, etc) as a service to their customers and figure that handling transfers gets potential customers in the door and builds a relationship.  That is how I did it when I had my shop, but we were shipping things every day, so adding another was not a big deal.  

Other shops think transfers  cut into their business.  Your selling a gun on line for what it is worth means that they can’t buy it wholesale and make a profit on it.  Buying a gun cheaper on line means you are not buying it from them.

I have known some shops that refuse to do transfers on guns that they sell or can order.  This is understandable, they need to make a profit to pay salaries and keep the doors open.  You should support a good gun shop.  There are not that  many of them around.

Having said that, I don’t have much respect for a shop that gouges folks on transfers.  I recently had to pay $150 in transfer fees, on top of shipping to get an FAL sent from the San Francisco Bay Area.  They had folks over the barrel since they were the only game in town.  They tried to talk the seller into selling them the gun rather than shiping it to me.  Fortuneatly, I don’t live there, but if I did, I would deal with someone else.

20 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Some folks think it's a breeze to ship stuff out. Some times it's rather easy...some times it's a real PITA. 

I'm always amazed that folks that haven't dealt with the day to day dealings of a modern gun shop can opine on what is and what isn't a reasonable charge.

Phantom

Exactly!  My local favored FFL is a one man shop and very busy.  He has no time to leave for the Post Office during business hours and I totally understand. He charges fair prices for incoming FFL transfers and even gives me a discount since I'm a regular customer. 

I work all week and on a military installation which makes it real hard for me to ship guns since I can't bring them with me to work and everything is closed when I get home.  Finding a helpful FFL is worth just about whatever they need to charge.

As it turns out I found a good shop that was willing to help me out. 

22 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Roscoe, you need to re read the post. RK said the FFL charges that and it’s the only FFL in his area so he’s kind of stuck. It’s getting very difficult in my part of SoCal to find an FFL that will do it at all and when I do find one I don’t mind him doing all of the work and charging for it. 

Or is the FFL ducking the need to take the gun to the PO and shipping only by a UPS or FedEx pickup. I was just citing what the two lowest guys in my area charge , which is $40 comprised of $25 FFL and $15 postage. Both are a quick trip away from a PO, however. I said nothing to warrant being pounced on (again).

52 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Phantom, and the other FFL's that have posted here.

Do you have to 'log-in' the gun, and then 'log-out' when you ship for someone else?

OLG

YES

Archived