SASS Wire Forum

cataract surgery lens options

Original Pennsyltucky

I had my surgeries done two weeks apart. For that two weeks i had clear vision in one eye and the un repaired eye looked like a dirty car window in comparison. Yall will be happy. Definitely use every single drop of medicine in both eyes. my doc gave me a schedule which helped a lot.

Imis

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Folks,

I had my first cataract surgery today. I wanted laser. They tried; but couldn't do it. Hubby said it had something to do with the shape of my eye.

I'm sure glad I only have to wear the "patch" for today and a few nights. It is annoying.

I will probably have the second one done after the Nevada State Match in October.

Regards,

Allie

Allie, not knowing how’s yours is shape let me advise you to talk to both the doctor who did it and your regular eye doctor about detached retinas. My right eye is shaped like a football. They didn’t tell me that I could be prone to the retina detaching. If you start to see a veil or shadow starting in the corner of your eye coming down like a shade in a window, run back to the place that did your cataracts!  If you don’t get to them within 12-24 hours you may lose sight in that eye because they didn’t reattach it. I don’t mean to scare you but my right eye had 2!  The first one health ng caused the second one. Please talk to your two doctors for their opinion on the possibility of it happening to you. 

Hi Nimble,

I haven't had an eye doc for years. Our family doctor referred me to his ophthalmologist.

I will watch out for anything like you mention. I see this doctor again in three weeks. Then, I will make an appointment to have the other eye done.

Thanks for the warning!

Allie

On 8/29/2018 at 6:02 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Folks,

I had my first cataract surgery today. I wanted laser. They tried; but couldn't do it. Hubby said it had something to do with the shape of my eye.

I'm sure glad I only have to wear the "patch" for today and a few nights. It is annoying.

I will probably have the second one done after the Nevada State Match in October.

Regards,

Allie

Happy it went well for you. I had my second one done 2 weeks after the first one. Glad I did not wait.

12 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Happy it went well for you. I had my second one done 2 weeks after the second first ;) one. Glad I did not wait.

Thank you brother Scout!

My Doc doesn't make the other appointment until after the three-week follow up.  The next week is the Nevada State match. So, I won't schedule the other eye, formerly the better eye, not the bad eye, until after the match. 

I now see better out of the operated eye, which was my bad eye. I'm looking forward to the second surgery.

Take care. BTW I miss ya!

Allie

3 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Thank you brother Scout!

My Doc doesn't make the other appointment until after the three-week follow up.  The next week is the Nevada State match. So, I won't schedule the other eye, formerly the better eye, not the bad eye, until after the match. 

I now see better out of the operated eye, which was my bad eye. I'm looking forward to the second surgery.

Take care. BTW I miss ya!

Allie

That sounds like a good plan. You will certainly enjoy your new eyesight! Since there are no more conventions guess we will get to see each other at a shoot we both get to attend. Look forward to that!

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

Just a thought based on my experience. I had one eye done last month. The other eye is next Wednesday. In the meantime, my glasses (I needed a new prescription for the old eyes) are totally wonky. I found I could see better without them and I couldn't see street signs until I was at the street either way.

Before my surgery, I'd signed up for the Nevada State Match near Las Vegas. I'd only been there once, 12 years ago, so I didn't remember the way to the range. I stayed with my sister-in-law, who just moved there. So, I'd never been to her house. Getting to the LV area was easy. The rest was hard. I saw fine to shoot. In fact, my shooting glasses, despite the focus on sights,  were my best distance glasses. When we went to dinner, I had to use a magnifying glass to see the menus.

I'm looking forward to having this phase over with. I would definitely do the surgery over; the travel alone, to an unfamiliar place, not so much.

I hope you find this helpful.

Sincerely,

Allie

On 8/30/2018 at 7:22 PM, Chinaman,SASS32908 said:

Do people have only 1 eye done with no plan of a future procedure?Don’t have problem with the other.

On most folks, cataracts usually track along about the same kind of symptoms, within a year or so, from one eye to the next.  So my docs have said.  

If you have a cat in one eye only, well, maybe you are lucky.  But maybe a year from now, you will have a cat in the other.  

Let's hope you are lucky.   GJ

On 6/27/2018 at 1:50 PM, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Good luck, mine were done 15 years ago, and the overall result has been good other than I am pretty light sensitive and have multiple pairs of sun glasses and readers.  The surgery itself is as close to painless as anything I've been through

Are you saying you were awake for the procedure? 

4 hours ago, Spittoon O Tool SASS #62053 said:

Are you saying you were awake for the procedure? 

Any more, yep, eye surgery is often done "sedated" rather than conked out.  They can lock down the eye pretty well any more.

Good luck, GJ

My situation is the same as Poet Jones, had the right eye done in Sept and now don't need distance glasses for the first time in well over 40 years, and it's great, only need a prescription for reading, I can live with that. As for the expensive lens I have heard pros and cons, you have to consider if the expense is worth not needing reading glasses. Also the more expensive lens doesn't work for everyone. Talk to your MD and ask all the questions you can think of, you only want this done once,even if it is short and painless. The main thing is if you need it, get it done , the change is amazing.

Well folks, it's been a few weeks since I had my eyes done.  there was one week between the left one and the right one. I have a friend in CT whose Dr didn't schedule his second till over a month later!  I had three kinds of eye drops, a few times a day, some folks apparently have "no drops."

I see there is some concern about being awake - yup, I was worried about that also.  I wasn't knocked out but I sure don't remember squat. no muss, no fuss.

There was a bit of discomfort caused by dryness. felt like I had a cinder in each eye, fake tears fixed that.

I was very sensitive to light, luckily my daughter had a really nice pair of sun glasses she "donated"! 

At night, my one eye had a star burst effect when I looked at a street ight or other intense light.  Did not like that, but that too quickly went away.

Last week I walked my daughter down the isle without glasses.  Only down side is having to use "readers."  You can buy 4 and 6 packs of them pretty cheap. That way you can have a pair in the crapper, one in the bed room, one at the computer, one in your truck, one on your work bench.  I bought a pair of the Foster Grant "progressive readers" which I keep on the table in the living room. That way I can read and watch TV.

Pards - ain't modern medicine wonderful?  Havn't shot yet but sure am looking forward to it, it's been way too long.

14 hours ago, watab kid said:

i hope so ----im not looking forward to someone messin in my eye at all , i might be better conked out , 

Nope, at least for me it was done while I was awake. You are restrained in a gurner so you can’t move and your head is secured as well. A covering with an eye opening is put over you and it is done quickly. I needed a little sedative to get my pressure down so they gave me a little Valium. It seemed forever but was probably minutes and  after it was done no discomfort you r back the next day to remove bandage and you can see!

Been avoiding reading this thread...but after eye doc visit yesterday thread became of extreme interest.  Yep, cataracts getting worse so surgery is suggested for future.  After giving more though,t and reading this thread, I find best bet is to get'er done soon. 

I think I will opt for lens to equal present as my current "mono" shooting glasses seem to correct fine.   

Multi focals are not an option for a person on medicare unless one wants to pay the lenses.  I had left eye done in April, the right eye was not bad enough yet.   Surgery done by opthamologist.  Optomitrist did all follow ups.  Morning after surgery, one week after the morning after and 4 weeks after the 1 week follow up.  Drops (antibiotic) 3 days before and 7 days after Steriod drops starting day after 2x a day for 14 days and 1 x daily for 14 days.  Eye Exam for corrective lenses 1 week or a few days later after last drops.  At approx 6 mo follow up I was having trouble reading, one eye focused about 1 inch closer than the other and books dont have an offset in the pages was also a little dizzy first thing in AM when put on glasses.  Also there was like 4.5 diopters difference in the 2 eyes so when I read one eye saw something like 12 pt type the other 14.  These issues were enough that medicare would cover the second eye.   Had it done 4 weeks ago tuesday of this week.  Finished all the drops tuesday and have my corrective lense appointment next friday a week from today.  The left eye is almost 20/ 20 and the right eye was about 20 25 at the 1 week post op appointment.  With both eyes see 20 20.

GIven there was a vision change with in the 1 year warranty period, Costco optical will replace lenses at no charge.  WIll be interesting to see if both lenses change or just the one for the newly fixed right eye.

The good news is I can see the front sight of a revolver just fine without glasses in the right eye and almost sharply with the left - good enough to hit targets with anyway.  Will post an update after I get the new glasses.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2018 at 6:19 PM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

After the surgery, your eye will not be as flexible as the natural lens.  So if you set them both at distance, you will need reading glasses.  that was true for me - unless you try his suggestion.

What the Doc is talking about is normally called mono-vision.  Years before I got had the surgery, I got some glasses made that way for shooting several years ago.  Set the right eye (strong side) for focus on my pistol and rifle sights - they are essentially the same distance.  I would put the glasses on when I got to the range.  It took just a few minutes to adjust but then no problem at all.  But as others have said, it depends on the person. 

Those glasses  worked very well for me when shooting, but I still didn't go that way with my contacts but several friends did it and are happy.

To test it, buy some cheap reading glasses and take out one lens.  See if you can adjust to it.  At first you will be just slightly dizzy, but that should go away.  If it doesn't, that may not be the best option for you.

this is much my plan (left eye, the worst, Monday morning).  I am so used to readers for close up due to lasik surgery many years ago.  Like you I have also had special shooting glasses (.5 one side, .25 other) for most of my CAS days.  Hoping the cataract surgery will make everything better although I have not noticed the cataracts really affecting my shooting.  Hey, maybe surgery will make me faster. :D

Some times however everything does go quite the way we hope.  Which is why there is a laundry list of complications when you sign the consent form... :wacko:

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:34 AM, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Been avoiding reading this thread...but after eye doc visit yesterday thread became of extreme interest.  Yep, cataracts getting worse so surgery is suggested for future.  After giving more though,t and reading this thread, I find best bet is to get'er done soon. 

I think I will opt for lens to equal present as my current "mono" shooting glasses seem to correct fine.   

So far my bad eye, the first one operated on is my good eye. I'm frightened about the other, formerly my good eye. It is acting odd.

Best wishes to anyone who has this surgery.

I'll keep you posted on further progress of my second (formerly good, now bad eye).

Good luck, Miz Mo. Mine were done about 6 months apart. for a while I was kinda weird looking as i had glasses with only one lens( didn't need one of them after surgery). Only complication I ended up with was a few dark "floaters" in the left eye. some of them have dissolved, but there's still one with a clear center. doc says there's always a chance of getting some. as far as the procedure, basically a piece of cake. some liquid and a light show and done. Since the surgeries, i haven't tried to shoot anything. hands are getting arther, plus the legs aren't trust worthy with live ammo.:blush:

My wife had glasses for distance then about 10 years ago she had surgery both eyes 2 weeks apart.  She did not need glasses till last time to have eyes checked.  After all the testing she needed glass to see distance. The doctor told her that the eyes takes 10-20 years to start changing.

I had both eyes done 2 years ago and the light got to bright for me.  I wear sunglasses night and day.  I use a a yellow for late evening and night.  I use the green or brown for day light.

I'm going to the doctor this afternoon. When I close the good eye and try to read with the bad eye, the lines of text are wavy and blurry.

This is problematic as I will probably have to have another surgery and I've already postponed Federal Court jury duty once.

Good luck Allie.  Had surgery on left eye this AM.  Will know more of success Tuesday morn.

bb

6 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I'm going to the doctor this afternoon. When I close the good eye and try to read with the bad eye, the lines of text are wavy and blurry.

This is problematic as I will probably have to have another surgery and I've already postponed Federal Court jury duty once.

Yep time to get your other eye done. You won't regret it.

3 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Good luck Allie.  Had surgery on left eye this AM.  Will know more of success Tuesday morn.

bb

Just follow instructions on you care and everything will be just fine. It will itch but that will pass.

Thanks for posting, Brother Scout!

I saw the Doc today. He said my eye is swollen. It happens about 5% of the time :o; I guess I'm special. ;)

He wasn't worried. I will see him again next week for my final checkup and glasses prescription. I will wait on the prescription if the swelling isn't resolved.  I feel better knowing that I probably won't need a redo.

Hey Billy!

Keep us posted. I hope everything goes well!

Regards,

Allie

15 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Thanks for posting, Brother Scout!

I saw the Doc today. He said my eye is swollen. It happens about 5% of the time :o; I guess I'm special. ;)

He wasn't worried. I will see him again next week for my final checkup and glasses prescription. I will wait on the prescription if the swelling isn't resolved.  I feel better knowing that I probably won't need a redo.

Hey Billy!

Keep us posted. I hope everything goes well!

Regards,

Allie

Post-op visit shows that all looks good and I was already better in reading chart.  I will update later.  Right eye to be done 19th.

• 2 weeks later...

Bummer!

My wife had that problem as well.  She did get better but it took a month or so.

They also found a slight wrinkle in the cornea and did a quick laser surgery that resolved it pretty well.

Keep us advised.

Allie  I am 11 months in now, have had only a little discomfort and am 20/15 in both eyes-for distance. I wear cheaters to read, on the computer etc. I have a pair of cheaters sunglasses for shooting so I can see closeup if my pistols are on the empty chamber. All is good and I am happy with the results. Hope yours get evened out well.

Imis

My second post-op of 11/13 showed even better on the cart.  Right eye is to be done early Monday. I will report more later.

A Mo, hope you get better.

bb

Archived