SASS Wire Forum

Gettysburg

Henry T Harrison

I'm heading to my happy place tomorrow for five days of study and fellowship. The featured speaker tomorrow evening is James Robertson, it doesn't get any better than that.

Are there any other SASS members going

http://www.gettysburg.edu/cwi/conference/

I haven’t been to the Conference, but I visited the battlefield in 1986 or ‘87 ( before the tower was removed). Quite a place.

1 hour ago, South-Eye Ned said:

I haven’t been to the Conference, but I visited the battlefield in 1986 or ‘87 ( before the tower was removed). Quite a place.

If you haven’t been there in the last five years you won’t recognize them place. The NPS has been working hard to restore the battle field to what it looked like at the time of the battle. Buildings have been removed and sight lines restored, trees have been removed from where there were no trees and fields put back. It gives a whole new perspective to the battle field

I agree with Lumpy. Report back, please. Now, you’ve given me incentive to return!

I was there on a family trip in 1970.  A very brief visit, not much more than a drive through.  

I was there again in '08.  Didn't get to see much as we were there for the reenactment.  Not a place you want to do a lot of driving around in when towing a cannon and have all sorts of gear on the open trailer (not to mention just short of 100 pounds of powder).  What with the logistics of the reenactment and me being in charge of that gun, I didn't get a chance to see much of anything.  Maybe in 7 or 8 years we will get back there again.

No going to this, but I have been to the battlefield about 5 times. I'm in awe every time. I especially enjoy standing on Little Round Top where the 20th Maine was fighting and where Chamberlain ordered the famous "fix bayonets, right wheel, charge"! Or, standing at the angle or at the copse of trees on Cemetery Ridge and imagining the wave of thousands of Confederates marching towards you.

155th anniversary of the battle this July.

"Killer Angels" is a must read on this battle.

Killer Angels is fiction not bad but fiction. The best short course on Gettysburg is Shelby Footes Stars in their courses

I just had the honor and privilege of having lunch with James Robertson probably the greatest living historian of our time. What an experience 

I toured Gettysburg last summer.  We hired a local tour guide who drove us around in our car.  The whole park is awesome.  There were no Confederate caps on sale so I actually bought a union blue kepi with US cavalry buckle design on front and “Gettysburg” embroidered on the back. I had a nice lady come up to me in a restaurant in Washington DC and thank me for my Service. I was polite and told her thankyou back. Do I really look that old

I just left Gettysburg late this afternoon. For the past 25 years the living history group I belong to has volunteered their services to the NPS several times a year. We portray Co. C, 2nd United States Sharp Shooters. This past weekend we were at the Pennsylvania Monument. Other times of the year we are in Pitzer's Woods, or at Little Round Top.

Capt. L.T.C. 

When I lived in Fairfax, VA in the mid 80s (stationed at" The Building") may Family and I had several trips to the Battle Field there. an awesome place. t

Twice on a warm , sunny day we walked the entire field where Pickett's charge took place. You could almost here the noise of the battle  and see so many good boys fall on both sides.  On the drive back to Fairfax, I could barely speak. Sobering, to say the least. I would love to go back and see what you all are saying about it now.  Cheers, Hoss C.

54 minutes ago, Capt. L. Thos. Cryan said:

I just left Gettysburg late this afternoon. For the past 25 years the living history group I belong to has volunteered their services to the NPS several times a year. We portray Co. C, 2nd United States Sharp Shooters. This past weekend we were at the Pennsylvania Monument. Other times of the year we are in Pitzer's Woods, or at Little Round Top.

Capt. L.T.C. 

I did see your group encamped there  last night . Sorry I didn’t know there was a SASS shooter there 

Archived