SASS Wire Forum

*SPF* Price Reduced: Non SASS: S&W .38 M&P Pre-War Target in .38 Special

Non SASS:  Smith and Wesson 38 Military and Police in .38 Special.  This is an early rare target variation with a 6 inch barrel that is in Good Condition with very good to excellent bore and chambers.  The lock up and mechanics are also very good to excellent.  The finish looks to be original with a fair amount of bluing loss from age and ware.  This is the Model of 1905, 3rd Variation, made between 1909 and 1915.  The serial number, 230945, matches on the butt, cylinder, and barrel.  The grips are old but they are not original to this piece.  These early pre-war S&W target models are rare. 

New Price: $499 Shipped to your FFL

[Formerly $550]

Terms: Please feel free to ask questions.  Payment with USPS money order preferred.  Once payment and a copy of FFL are received, I will take this firearm to my local FFL dealer who will ship it insured to the FFL provided.  FFL may be e-mailed or mailed to me with your payment, sorry no faxes. No sales to California because I have not located a local dealer who will ship there.   Sales to Alaska and Hawaii are fine and there are no additional shipping charges to these areas.  No international sales.  Please make sure that the laws in your area allow you to own this item prior to bidding. 

Thank you. 

Professor Thoreau, SASS Life #2611

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

This gun brings back a memory. 

when I was 18, in college, needed some cash, I applied for and was hired as a Pinkerton guard at a bank. they guy asked me if I had ever shot a pistol. I said yes. He gave me a S&W Police like this one, but with 4" barrel. was stamped on back strap "Mt Vernon PD"  also had a flap holster. I used to fold the flap back and practice my fast draw in the bathroom!  

The sum total of my training was "have you ever shot a pistol?"!!!!!!!

good luck on the sale, these are fine old guns.

Don't let the minor cosmetics deter you folks.  The trigger pull on these babies, from the factory, is like squeezing a stick of butter on a July afternoon.  You'll know why Ed McGivern could do the shooting he did.

7-1-2018

Thank you Shotgun Clay!!  Yes, it does have a very nice action.

Another partner just asked if the rear sight is missing a screw.  The rear sight is not missing a screw.  The hole near the rear of the sight allows access to a screw to adjust elevation.  You can barely make out the screw head at the bottom of the hole.  The screw head pushes the sight up from underneath when screwed out.  Just the way these early target sights were made.  So, you are seeing the "access" hole but not the screw head down inside under the sight.  I just checked it and that screw adjusts the sight elevation just fine.

Thanks for asking.

Professor Thoreau

Archived