SASS Wire Forum

Honda 2000i Storage Solution

Rancho Roy

The only thing more ubiquitous at a SASS event than a Winchester 73 is the small Honda 2000i generators.

Now that my trailer has a large capacity solar sysyem, the only time I use my Honda 2000i generator is for AirConditioning and my wifes hair dryer.

I usually haul a pair of Honda 2000i generators in the bed of the truck. Even though the truck has a cap, the dust still gets into everything while on the road. I needed a way to transport and store them and keep out of harms way.

Searching at Home Depot for a solution, with tape measure in hand, I found RUBBER MAID #0141 / #42 (these are the numbers on the bottom) totes with covers.

When I put the Honda into the tote they fit perfectly! But the covers had a slight bulge as the generators are about a 1/2" too tall for these totes.

A solution was to cut a strip out of the top to accomodate the Honda's handle and then cover with a piece of plywood sealed with Dicor.

A couple coats of clear finish and done....

Now they are protected during transport, and the totes with the new top make great tables when sitting around camp.....Nice! 

IMG_20180620_075552754-vi.jpg

IMG_20180620_075516732-vi.jpg

IMG_20180620_075526533-vi.jpg

IMG_20180620_075504930-vi.jpg

Good idea.  It's also a good way to keep the generators out of sight.  I've got a large tote that I use to cover my Champion 3400w generator.  I just turn the tote upside down and put it over the generator.  Then tie the tote down in the back of the truck.  Generator protected and out of sight.

1 hour ago, Catlow4697 said:

The idea of the tote is to keep the dust out adding holes defeats that idea

The couple of holes allows moister & fumes to escape.

Those gennys are bottom breathers, and the lids the OP made would do well as a platform to sit them on when running.

OLG

Saw you stole that idea on the RV Forum from a guy called RB19RR      LOL     Nice idea,  makes me want to but a gen for my A Frame      GW

I thought you wuz talkin' bout one a these....IMG_2540.jpg.a13278143ed6d8464fe4e9b8f4778f96.jpg

Archived