SASS Wire Forum

International Black Powder & SE Terrirorial Black Powder Championship

Confederate Colt

I really can't wait for this series of matches, it has definitely become my favorite time of year for SASS competition.  We enjoyed going down when it was just Dark Days on the Santa Fe.  Then, when the match shifted so that it was the weekend before Ides, that meant a Double Header, and that has been awesome for the last two years.  Now, a Triple Header, that is just too good to believe!

The only down side I see is that I will probably have to suffer the added expense of driving the truck this year.  I don't think the Prius is designed to carry that much weight in AMMO!

March cannot get here soon enough!

Dogmeat Dad

1 hour ago, Palmetto Traveler said:

High Cotton Kitty and I are working out our schedule so we can finally attend. What other alternatives are there for RVs?

Howdy Traveler!! Sure look forward to seeing you and Kitty.

We have dry camping on the range. If you'd like to stay on the range shoot Yadkin Hawks an email at rfmelt@comcast.com, if your looking for a campground there are some listed on the website http://fwcc.net/black-powder/. If you scroll to the bottom of the page you'll find links for them.

11 hours ago, Palmetto Traveler said:

Can anyone recommend one campground as the favored one for shooters please?

I personally haven't heard anything about any of them. They all have a four star rating.  River Run is closest to the range. We do have a shooter that come down from New Hampshire four month at the beginning of the year and he stays at the one in High Springs.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanksgiving is a time to look back and reflect on all that you have been blessed with over the past year. So us here at A Dark Day On The Santa Fe took the time to reflect back and see what we are thankful for this year…….

• We are thankful for all the match workers who volunteer so much of their time to help prep and set up.

• We are thankful for all the vendors and sponsors who have supported us over the years and continue to faithfully do so.

• And most of all we are thankful for you our shooters. Without you there would be no Dark Day On the Santa Fe.

From all of us at A Dark Day On The Santa Fe, we wish you and yours a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

I am eternally grateful for the seemingly infinite opportunities that God gives me to learn patience.

It's been a hard year for me and my family.  We buried a lot of folks, and my little dog too, but I am Thankful for the time I had to spend with each of them while they were here.  I am Thankful that while I may be overweight and out of shape, I am basically physically healthy (The "Mental" part is always open for debate!:wacko:) as are my wife, kids, and grand-kids.  Although my kids and their families are heading to spend Thanksgiving with the "other side" of their families, my brothers, their wives, my wife and I will be gathering at my Mother's for the Holiday.  Her dementia is not so bad yet that she doesn't remember us and we are Thankful to have the opportunity to spend the holiday with her while that is still the case.  That day will come, but it's not today.

And I am grateful for my Cowboy Friends, both locally here in Maryland and elsewhere.  While I haven't had much time to "Play Cowboy" this year, spending time on the other side of the Match Director table gives me the chance to visit with everyone who comes to the matches.  The folks in SASS are truly the best folks there are.

I am thankful that my wife and I are able to traveling to Florida each year to shoot with all y'all (see, I'm still working on my "Southern" linguistic skills :lol:), get my annual hug from Greta Dee :wub:, and get my butt whopped by all of you speed demons down there!  It's a refreshing change of pace from getting it whopped by all the speed demons up here, and it's warmer there to boot!  Who knows, one of these days, if the dust in my life ever settles, I might actually have the time to practice and manage to improve from Damn-Slow to Half-Fast.  (Hey, fella can dream can't he?)

I truly wish everyone a Happy, Healthy, and Blessed Thanksgiving.  Make the time, to enjoy the time, with your friends and family.

Dogmeat Dad and Lil Feathers

Well, looks like I survived Thanksgiving.  Dang Turkey tried to kill me, but I managed to fend it off with an extra helping of Apple Pie 'cause the Pumpkin Pie was already gone.  Hardest part was trying to sit up after laying on the couch after dinner.  Fortunately, my buddy reminded me that it's easier to apply the paddles when I am laying down so I just stayed there awhile.  It's all good now!

EDTV_PerroDormido1.jpg.029e3adfb4c48f1f8b5dbed96e10109d.jpg

Had our last Cowboy match for the year up here so that means the next one will be Darkness Falls!    T - Minus 100 Days until we head south on 05 March 2019!    YAAAHOOO!

Having been to all but the first Dark Day, we have stayed at a bunch of hotels in Lake City, The Cabot Lodge (Permanently Closed per the web - I Didn't Do It, Honest!), Country Inn & Suites, and the Comfort Suites.  The last two were a bit pricey, but we caught specials and paid in advance for better rates.  With the addition of Darkness Falls, that meant three nights in a hotel so we decided to do a search again to see if anything new popped up.

Low and Behold, there is a Brand Spanking New Holiday Inn Express & Suites right smack dab in Alachua!    Holiday Inn Express - Alachua   We have always had good luck and found clean comfortable rooms at these hotels, and use the one in Tavares, FL for the Ides of March.  Staying here will make the journey to the banquet a little bit longer, but should shorten the morning run to the range, which for us is a good thing!  (Full Disclosure, I do not work for Holiday Inn, nor does my lovely wife.  We do, however, have IHG points from previous travels and such and use them to reduce the rates.)

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and I certainly look forward to being back in Sunny Florida in the not too distant future!

• 4 weeks later...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from all of us at A Dark Day On The Santa Fe

The month of December has been very good to us, we’ve received a bunch of applications already this month and we still have 12 more days to go. I wouldn’t wait too much longer to get your applications in for Darkness Falls and A Dark Day. Historically we see record numbers of applications arrive in January.

We will be placing the orders for Dark Day buckles and Darkness Falls statues the early part of January, you’re not going to want to miss out on the awards this year, so make sur to get your applications early so we don’t miss your category. The awards take six weeks to order. Don’t forget to let me know if you plan to attend the dinner a Longhorn in Lake City on Thursday night.

Scarlett Darlin’ told me to tell you all that she has a special Christmas gift for all her favorite Cowboys and Cowgirls.  She has a special running on American Pioneer Powder from now till A Dark Day. See the vendor section of either the Darkness Falls or Dark Day web page for more information http://fwcc.net/black-powder-championships/

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season, see you in March.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year!!

We are just 65 days away from the black powder double header of the year, Darkness Falls and A Dark Day On The Santa Fe! Match applications are starting to fly in, you’d better hurry if you don’t want to miss out on the smokiest shooting in SASS.

The updated shooter lists has been posted on the website, you can find them here http://fwcc.net/black-powder-championships/. Check and see which one of your pards has already signed up. You never know who you might see on there!

Shoot Through

If you need to shoot through either Darkness Falls or Dark Day please get with me as soon as possible.

Thursday Night Dinner

If you plan to attend the dinner a Longhorns in Lake City on Thursday night please let me know so I can provide the restaurant with a head count.

RV Camping

If you plan on coming down with a camper, we do have limited space available. Please send an email to Yadkin Hawks at rfmelt@comcast.net to make your reservation.

Dark Day Vendors

Come and support the vendors that support you!!  So far we have four vendors slated to come down; Bullets by Chance, Klassic Laser Works, Red River Bullets and Bullet by Scarlett.

• 2 weeks later...

Time is ticking away….Have you signed up yet?

We have officially broke our state record. We are now up to 19 different states represented for A Dark Day.  Think maybe we can make it an even 20?  I guess only time will tell.

Don’t forget about our great vendor that are going to be on hand with us. Outlaw Bullets, Bullets by Chance, Klassic Laser Works, Red River Bullets and Bullet by Scarlett. Speaking of Scarlett don’t forget about her American Pioneer Powder special she is running, see website for more information.

If you haven’t looked lately you will find we have had a ton of new entries already this month http://fwcc.net/black-powder-championships/. Check and see which one of your pards has already signed up. You never know who you might see on there!

• 2 weeks later...

20 States and Counting!!

I wouldn’t normally send out an update again so quick but a lot has happened over the past week.  We now officially have 20 different states represented, shattering our previous record of 16.

We’ve had two workdays on the range last week and one happening now as I type this.  Be the end of the day we will have extended the wall between bay 1 and 2 by 8ft to give more berm depth and closer locate the unloading table to the stage. All of our previous loading and unloading tables that were not undercover will all have framed out roofs just needing to have to tin put on. By the end of next week they will be completed!

Registration continues to be hot and heavy. We have just 30 spots left for Darkness Falls and have almost reached 100 shooters for A Dark Day.  I wouldn’t wait too much longer to get your apps in if you plan on coming. An updated shooters list has been posted this morning http://fwcc.net/black-powder-championships/

For those who have not heard we had changed the on range camping area to be on the shotgun range, which means we have plenty of dry camping on the range compared to what we have had in the past. If you would like to dry camp at the range, please send an email to Yadkin Hawks at rfmelt@comcast.net to make your reservation.

Don’t forget about our great vendor that are going to be on hand with us. Outlaw Bullets, Bullets by Chance, Klassic Laser Works, Red River Bullets and Bullet by Scarlett. Speaking of Scarlett don’t forget about her American Pioneer Powder special she is running, Red River Bullets is also running a pre order special, website for more details.

We had a ton of fun at the dinner at Longhorns in Lake City last year.  If you plan on attending this year please let me know so I can give the restaurant an accurate headcount so they can be prepared for a group of hungry cowboys and girls.  

Don’t forget that you can still shoot Darkness Falls and Dark Day even if you’re too scared to come to the Dark Side. We are offering a Smokeless and Senior Smokeless categories. Darkness Falls and A Dark Day On The Santa Fe makes for one heck of warm up for the Ides of March down in Eustis the following week.

If you have a schedule conflict and you cannot shoot the match(s) on the normal match days we will be doing shoot through for the folks working the match.  Get with me as soon as possible if would like shoot through with us.

See you all in March.

~ Come to the Dark Side

ONE MORE MONTH!!

Only 35 more day till the black powder championship double header of the year! At the end of 2019 will you be able to say you were there?

All of the loading and unloading table covers have officially been completed! Now we’ll have you covered in the sun or rain. By next year we might have fan under the loading table covers to help you beat the heat.

Registration continues to be hot and heavy. We have less then 25 spots left for Darkness Falls and have almost reached 100 shooters for A Dark Day.  I wouldn’t wait too much longer to get your apps in if you plan on coming. You can see who has already signed up here http://fwcc.net/black-powder-championships/.

Breaking new from the Action Shooting Network!  During A Day Day, they are going to draw a name from the shooters who are at the match and reimburse them their entry fee.  That’s right one lucky shooter will get to shoot A Dark Day On The Santa Fe for free!

Don’t forget if you plan on dry camping on the range please send an email to Yadkin Hawks at rfmelt@comcast.net to make your reservation.

Please support the vendors that support us! Outlaw Bullets, Bullets by Chance, Klassic Laser Works, Red River Bullets and Bullet by Scarlett will all be on the range. Scarlett is running a special on American Pioneer Powder, see attached flier for more information. Red River Bullets is running a pre order special, see their attached flier for more details. Also Bullets by Chance will give one dollar off every box and all preorders if 5 or more boxes it will two dollars off!

Last year we had about 65 in attendance at the Thursday night dinner at Longhorns in Lake City.  If you plan on attending this year please let me know so I can give the restaurant an accurate headcount so they can be prepared for a group of hungry cowboys and girls. 

Don’t shoot black powder? Still want to shoot Darkness Falls and Dark Day?  We’ve got you covered. We are offering a Smokeless and Senior Smokeless categories.

If you have a schedule conflict and you cannot shoot the match(s) on the normal match days we will be doing shoot through for the folks working the match.  Get with me as soon as possible if would like shoot through with us.

See you all in March.

~ Come to the Dark Side

• 2 weeks later...

As I sit here, yet again surrounded by Tax Papers, it's all I can do to keep my mind from wandering to this pair of shoots and the Ides of March the week after.  Hotels are booked, flights for my wife are booked, guns are clean (since October!), making ammo when I can 'cause there is never enough, truck needs an oil change before departure, and I cannot wait.  I even went to the Doc for a checkup.  She said that I was surprisingly alive for someone in my condition!  :P 

1403556017_HoleInTheFoot.thumb.jpg.b0dca920c94aad04120a3a6541ba5d1b.jpg

Calling for snow and ice tonight, freezing rain tomorrow, and a repeat on Tuesday.  I just keep asking myself, why oh why didn't I just go South for the Winter!  One of these days, no where near soon enough, but one of these days.

T-25 Days till Darkness Falls, and I hope to head south a few days before that.  Can't get here soon enough!

See Ya All Soon!

• 3 weeks later...

T - 17 Days Until Ides Of March!

T - 10 Days Until Dark Day on the Santa Fe!

T - 9 Days Until Darkness Falls!

T - 2 Days Until I Head South!  (Dang, I better make some AMMO!)

T - 1 Day Until My Parole From .....

20180416_141938.thumb.jpg.64a8816a3669eae58e265d16b3f033ee.jpg

I CAN HARDLY WAIT!

On 2/26/2019 at 5:05 PM, M.T Chambers, SASS#76185 said:

Well since you're cleaning guns I'll bring mine right over. Mine haven't been touched since the DWR October match:blush:

Then we need to get you back on the Black Powder Band Wagon.  If you would have shot BP back in October, by this point you wouldn't need to clean them ever again, just sweep the rust piles into the trash can!

Gonna miss seeing you at the match this year.  I will do my best to not embarrass the State of Maryland (anymore than it Deserves)!

Archived