SASS Wire Forum

His and Hers Roll Top Gun Cart

Yul Lose

A few years ago Tell Sackett out of Texas needed a 1897 stock in an ad in the Classifieds so I sent him a couple and he picked out the one that he wanted and sent the other one back. While we were emailing back and forth he found out that I was going to raffle off one of the guncarts that I build for charity and he bought a bunch of tickets. Since then every time I have a cart raffle I’d let Tell know and he’d buy some more tickets. I was selling tickets last fall and the drawing was going to be at The Western Divisional and the proceeds went to the Ladies Of Cowboy Action Shooting (LOCAS) to help them promote our sport to potential lady shooters and help keep lady shooters involved in our sport. Well Tell bought another bunch of tickets and made me promise that if he didn’t win I’d build him and his wife Angel a guncart. He didn’t win.

Well I broke the news to him and told him that I’d build him a cart over the winter. I told him to think about what he wanted in a guncart for a couple of weeks and we’d talk about it over Thanksgiving weekend. I called Tell and we discussed guncarts and I’ve posted in the past that I lay awake at night thinking of the next great guncart that I’d like to build and he asked me what was keeping me awake lately so I told him, a double rolltop guncart. He said “ you mean like a his and hers rolltop”? And I said yes and that’s when it all got started.

I laid awake at night trying to build this one in my head and I think it came out pretty nice. The center panel in the upper cabinet had to be built 3 times before I got it right. The center panel is attached to the cabinet top with a full length sliding dovetail joint. The carcasse, chest and carriage are walnut and the back panel and tambour doors are African black limba. The trays and empty ammo bin are also black Limba. I found a very nice wine colored embossed fabric that I lined the trays and drawer with. The wheel spokes are also black limba.

Double Diamond, aka: Darrell Brinkmeier from Escondido did all of the leatherwork including the carved, tooled medallion on the front of the chest and on the crest of the upper cabinet. If you look closely at the chest medallion you’ll see the individual painted beads on the knife sheath  and the arrow quiver and on the spear point you can see the flakes. There is so much detail in the medallion it’s incredible. Darrell even installed leather handle wraps with baseball stitching, a very nice touch. I’ve been fighting an enflamed sciatic nerve for the last few months and Darrell has been a great help when I’ve needed it, he’s a pard to ride the river with.

For  the chest trays and empty bin I used some figured black limba also as I like the contrast that it has with walnut. Each side of the upper cabinet will  hold two long guns and two revolvers in holsters.

4F76044C-624E-4CA5-A15B-15364B62B154.jpeg

35E532B9-EEC2-4ADB-9F6D-C53F05B76B9C.jpeg

345D3984-8E7C-4C3F-9727-B347779811B1.jpeg

589774A2-0FCC-4152-A010-EBA986EF2CD8.jpeg

ADD8FD2D-FBBE-4A70-B0DF-E6EA8DFF42CE.jpeg

3BEA5678-8A6D-4F10-8CEE-CA24405A4935.jpeg

3FEAFC27-DABA-4008-A9B2-9E2B7BCFC3E6.jpeg

C04E74E6-4D99-463A-B4CF-684810A0CA5B.jpeg

8F7A8E12-C3B1-4E2E-B412-6AA752D466AF.jpeg

D85F95C9-2B58-4E75-939E-29D4314B6C22.jpeg

EA960ABC-6E24-414F-9187-4877F783F4E1.jpeg

45795396-2E74-4A7E-A852-EA59EF7A0B30.jpeg

F6E656D1-54C9-4291-B865-913260FBEAC2.jpeg

578269D9-3E78-472D-A1B2-DAADAE65B52C.jpeg

I could have simply hit the like button on Catlow's post, but that just didn't seem good enough. I have to say that it truly is too beautiful to take to the range. I couldn't shoot because I'd be standing guard with my SxS making sure that no one would get within 10 feet of it.

It's too beautiful NOT to take to the range!!

And who says I'm gonna let it get DIRTY, or WET? That's what the COVER is for! And if the weather is REALLY bad we still have the old cart. I ain't taking this one out in a hurricane or dust storm!

I told Yul Lose going into this to think of this cart as his "masterpiece". I think he delivered. 

I can't thank him enough.

what a fantastic work of art - i too would be concerned with having that piece of furniture exposed to the elements yet - we only live once - not getting any younger - you are the walking billboard for his craftsmanship after all , i would be so proud and i envy that tallent so much , you BOTH can always be proud of that at any match - any place - any time , 

You're amazing Yul. You keep outdoing yourself.

Cudos to Double Diamond. Truly an artist.  

10 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

It's too beautiful NOT to take to the range!!

And who says I'm gonna let it get DIRTY, or WET? That's what the COVER is for! And if the weather is REALLY bad we still have the old cart. I ain't taking this one out in a hurricane or dust storm!

I told Yul Lose going into this to think of this cart as his "masterpiece". I think he delivered. 

I can't thank him enough.

I have never shot in a hurricane...or a dust storm for that matter. Hmmm...idea for future shoots?

These creations should be placed in the Yul Lose Museum.

You have outdone yourself again and for that I present you with this well deserved award:

65347200_ExcellenceAward-YulLose.thumb.jpg.d43f68b1d639adecc1b04886af72e532.jpg

Really nice. I'm looking forward to seeing this cart in person. I usually see Tell and Angels a couple of times a year. 

1 hour ago, Poet Jones 99980 said:

I have never shot in a hurricane...or a dust storm for that matter. Hmmm...idea for future shoots?

I've been in thunderstorms here in Texas that SEEM like a hurricane. And I've been out there at EoT when the wind kicks and then you ARE in a dust storm! :rolleyes:

Yul, I'm just blown away every time I see one of your carts,,,,, WoW !!!!

Abilene, You are Correct Sir !!!

Super Talented Yul IS !!!!  And I every time I see Tell.... He's winning something !!!! 

Dang, that there cart is purdier than a speckled pup! My hat is of to you Yul, truly a master craftsman!

As a woodworker myself, all I can say is WOW!!!

Yul, Your craftsmanship never ceases to amaze and inspire me. Another beautiful job Sir.

Your gun carts are absolutely fantastic. This one however Takes the Cake. That gun cart is nicer than any furniture I could hope to have in my house, or my house itself! ;)

Bravo!

Words fail.

Thank you all for your kind compliments. My pard Double Diamond has been doing all of my leatherwork since the 2nd cart that I built and  in my humble opinion his leatherwork is what pushes the carts over the top. I’ve told him many times that his leatherwork is like putting lipstick and makeup on a woman. The help that he gave me on this one was exceptional. Someday I hope I can return the favor.

I met Yul in January at the Yuma Territorial Prison Breakout shoot for the first time. He is a gentleman and a great cowboy for sure. I make custom stocks so I can appreciate his work...pieces of art for sure! All I can say is WOW!

12 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Thank you all for your kind compliments. My pard Double Diamond has been doing all of my leatherwork since the 2nd cart that I built and  in my humble opinion his leatherwork is what pushes the carts over the top. I’ve told him many times that his leatherwork is like putting lipstick and makeup on a woman. The help that he gave me on this one was exceptional. Someday I hope I can return the favor.

Hmmm... I'm not quite sure that's the comparison I'd make, Hunter. I HATE lipstick and makeup on a woman. I think they detract from beauty. (of course, to each his own).

How about: His leather is the icing on the cake! :P

Archived