SASS Wire Forum

1887 Shotguns and FL brass shells

July Smith

Maybe an odd question, but will an 1887 lever action shotgun feed and eject full-length brass shells?  I really like using the full-length brass shotgun shells for a variety of reasons but I switched to plastic for the ease of shucking them from a SxS.  I have seen a few 87s crop up in the classifieds section and I was just wondering if brass hulls would work.  Wouldn't it be cool to run an 87 with a drop 2 modification and full-length brass shells?

They'll run "full length"(that could be a couple different lengths depending on brass maker) brass shells, BUT, you'll have varying degrees of success with the various mods.  It won't work with the original Drop Two mod that I used to do.  The Load Two that Cap did and whatever Lassiter is calling his, may work.  The problem is feeding the first shell of the two, a basically sharp edged shell and getting it into the camber without catching.  The more is crimped or the mouth is rolled, the less chance for catching on the chamber edges.  The first shell of any of the two shot mods basically floats around in the action as the second shell is taking the space in the lifter, which normally controls and positions the round for smooth feeding.  Plastic hulls are typically quite round at the mouth and are more forgiving of some "catching" as the plastic flexes/tears/cuts if there is slight misalignment.  Loading one at at time like a 97 will be more successful, albeit "less cool" and they will feed from the magazine if you were to use the gun as designed for hunting or whatever.  I think you would be disappointed if you were to plan on loading two.

I tried it but you have to roll the lip of the brass hull pretty good! I found that mine likes roll crimped plastic hulls best I likes 2 1/2" or shorter shells. I do not remember who I got the parts for the Drop Two from but I installed it myself. It did take a bit of fitting but it works better than the operator!:ph34r:

I have real, unmodified Winchester 87.   Never had any problems with the 2.5" all brass Magtech shells.   They work great from the magazine, and while it does not have a "drop 2" mod, you can pretty easily do it.   Just push down the carrier slide the top shell into the chamber and start to push the lower one into the mag.  You can do this with your thumb with a bit of practice.

I still think we should be able to load the magazine on the 87 and 97 with as many as needed, ON the clock.   But that's another discussion.

9 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I still think we should be able to load the magazine on the 87 and 97 with as many as needed, ON the clock.   But that's another discussion.

I do believe you can load on the clock what ever you need...

Texas Lizard

I tried loading all brass shells into my Coyote Cap '87. I gave up quickly. They look great in a canvas shotgun shell belt and they work great in a side-by-side. Just can't go there in an '87 for all the reasons previously stated.

Brass shotshells are a lot of fun to use and certainly garner style points but I'm still waiting for style points to take time off my score.

7 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

That's allowed if written into the stage instructions.

7 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

I do believe you can load on the clock what ever you need...

Depends on stage instructions...NOT a common practice.

- Pump and lever action shotguns are allowed to load no more than two live rounds at a time in the main match stages unless specified in the stage description.  

In team events, shotguns may be loaded to their maximum magazine capacity.

SHB p.26

19 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SHB p.26

I stand corrected...Must be listening to the wrong people talk...That is good to information to know....

Texas Lizard

Thank you all for the replies!  Looks like I will keep my eye out for an 87.  Obviously, a mechanically sound original would be the ideal 87, but of the repos which are considered the best?  Which repos should be avoided?

Both of our Cap 'race' '87s will feed all brass shells.

Don't know if they all do...........:huh:

Cap, many yrs ago, spent 3hr at Winter Range and got my 'stock' 20" bbl '87 to feed them.

The clang when the brass shell hits the ground, is very cool to hear. :D

OLG

5 hours ago, LostVaquero said:

And very frustrating when one geys stepped on.  Almost impossible to get round again.

Hang a sign on back of shirt....Step on my brass you bought it...Of course some cowboys might put holes in it....

Texas Lizard

Once I got the all brass shell reloading to perfection in both smokeless & Black, I never used plastic hulls again. I loaded, 12 ga , 16 ga , and 410 brass shells.

I used them in my 1897/16 in smokeless. The magtech shells were modified for 209 primers and have a Teflon Base wad. I bought them from Hammer Double, a company no longer in business.

12 gauge, I used in my SXS, loaded with the mighty Black.

The 410's I load for my Bond Deringer, Custom loads with Smokeless Winchester 296/HP110.

We Have an 87, never tried the brass, I would assume with a slight roll crimp on the case mouth they would feed and function fine. All of my brass cases have the slight roll on the case mouth.

Brass feeds thru my 1897/16, like corn thru a goose.

Sold most of my brass shells as I do not compete in CAS/SASS, do to health issues. However I still have the 16's modified with the 209's, a box of 12's & 410's. I also Have 10 RMC 16 ga. machined CNC cases. These are used for hunting loads. They load like plastic hulls, use compression wads & 209 primers. RMC's are custom made, IIRC; I paid $10.00 each for them.

15 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SHB p.26

Heh, PaleWolf said it before I could.  :)  

I have been to a grand total of 2 shoot where it was actually written into the description.  One here in Massachusetts where it was only on one stage for the whole shoot.

Once at a club in Pennsylvania where it is done on every stage for every shoot at that club.   I'd go there again, but it's kinda far for me.  :)

I do wish it'd happen more often, but I accept that it doesn't.   Oh well.

Old 209 primmered Hammer Doublez is what I use.  Large pistol magtechs just do not have enough fire for smokeless.  The 209s no problem.

I found powder, then tight fitting nitro card, then plastic wad and waterglass glued tight overshot card and a bit of roll crimp they go boom and take down knockdowns no problem.  They are neat but just easier to buy a box of plastic hulled jobs.  Call me Lazy Vaquero.

I tested many large pistol primers in the garage, and in the dark. The Primer I got the greatest amount of spark was the CCI Mag Large pistol primers. From then on, I used only CCI Mags for smokeless & BP loading.

And Yes, I agree the 209's are the Best for Brass SG shell reloading.

On 6/13/2018 at 3:41 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I shoot at 1 club where you can 'stoke' the SG anytime.

Time killer-But FUN.........

OLG

I shoot at one club where we get to start the stage with stoked shotguns. Now that’s how an 87 was meant to be run 

Archived