SASS Wire Forum

What are the odds? Pictures added!

Dorado

So I've upgraded my pistols finally. I ordered a pair of Uberti 1873 SAA. They're color case hardened, checkered bird's head grips, 3 1/2" blued barrels in 45LC. Been waiting on them since March, came in today. Got a real surprise. They are consecutive numbered. I got XX52 AND XX53. What are the odds of that? I didn't order them that way, wasn't planned out. Just happened.

I'll show pictures once I'm able to. I haven't figured out how to post from my phone. Gonna clean them up and start working on them. Now I need to get me some 45lc dies and bullet molds. 

I'm so excited I'm shaking. Lol

Sounds like someone’s happy with their new toys. :)

One way to post photos from your phone is to select the photos you wish to post then email them to yourself. Post them from there or save them in a file and then post them from the file. Hope that helps.

Quick question.

I have a bullet mold for 45acp that I've never used. It's a Lee 230gr round nose bullet. Would that work for 45lc?

30 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Quick question.

I have a bullet mold for 45acp that I've never used. It's a Lee 230gr round nose bullet. Would that work for 45lc?

Depends but not likely.  45 ACP SAAMI diameter is 0.451 while 45 Colt is 0.454. Undersized cast bullets tend to lead the bore badly due to gas cutting.

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Depends but not likely.  45 ACP SAAMI diameter is 0.451 while 45 Colt is 0.454. Undersized cast bullets tend to lead the bore badly due to gas cutting.

This mold is listed as for both acp and lc. I've been reading that these molds throw a bit large at .453-.457. Like I've said I've never used it so I don't know how this one does with my mix. I have it so I'll try it and hope for the best. I'd rather spend that money on dies and reloading materials.

3 hours ago, Dorado said:

This mold is listed as for both acp and lc. I've been reading that these molds throw a bit large at .453-.457. Like I've said I've never used it so I don't know how this one does with my mix. I have it so I'll try it and hope for the best. I'd rather spend that money on dies and reloading materials.

Only one way to find out. Wish you luck.

Regardless of SAAMI 45 Colt dimensions, Ubertis are nominally 450/451.  If your mold drops bullets at 457 and you don't have a luber/sizer, your results will be less than harmonious.  I'd more likely suggest bullets at .451 or .4515.  Does your mold throw a bullet with a crimp groove??  Might want to look at that.

15 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Colt went to .452" by 1922, maybe earlier.

I use a cast 230 grain .45 acp bullet a lot in .45 Colt... with black powder. Since there's no crimp groove, you run the risk of bullets being pushed back into the case in the mag tube with smokeless powder.

2 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Since there's no crimp groove, you run the risk of bullets being pushed back into the case in the mag tube with smokeless powder

I've loaded and shot thousands of rounds of cast lead bullets both large and small caliber that were not crimped in a crimp groove and shot from tubular magazines. Never had an issue with the bullets pushing back into the case.

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Regardless of SAAMI 45 Colt dimensions, Ubertis are nominally 450/451.  If your mold drops bullets at 457 and you don't have a luber/sizer, your results will be less than harmonious.  I'd more likely suggest bullets at .451 or .4515.  Does your mold throw a bullet with a crimp groove??  Might want to look at that.

I'm not sure what my mold is dropping at. I'll find out soon though. It does not have a crimp groove. However I don't have a .45lc rifle yet. It'll be a couple of years more before I can get one probably. So I should be fine in that regard. I'll have a short day tomorrow so I'll see if I can get some pictures for y'all.

Got a couple of pictures to share.

Here are the twins.

I'm feeling the need to name them but I can't think of good names. Lefty and Righty won't work as I shoot Duelist with only my right hand so it'd be Righty Righty.

IMG_2419.JPG

The one on the left is the little sister to the one on the right.

IMG_2417.JPG

12 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Those pistolas are super cool, Dorado. Very nice. I really like those grip panels.

How about Pride & Joy? :D

My LGS added those on as a bonus. He was telling me that after I placed my order that someone else came in and ordered the same thing just in .357. He liked the look so much that he ordered one for himself as well.  That checkering I think made a huge difference. I can grip them a lot easier than I could my other revolvers. My hand doesn't slide around as much either. I feel much more comfortable with these. Now if I only had some ammo for them. I have some factory loads but only about 10 rounds and that just isn't enough for me to warrant the cleaning afterwards. I'm thinking of posting on the wire about trading some things for brass. I do have a vest I can't wear. 

Pride and Joy....not bad. I was thinking of Lilly and Jeanne. Lilly for the little sister.

On 6/12/2018 at 3:00 PM, Dorado said:

Quick question.

Slug the bore-bet it's .452 dia. The spec was changed decades ago.

You'll need a firm roll crimp die for the bullet to hold in the rifle mag without push'n down.

Pistol recoil might 'pull' the bullet out some without using a firm crimp.

OLG

And just as important, check each cylinder throat. Some might think a lot to do about nothing in the cowboy game. Me, I want all the edge I can get.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/08/measuring-chamber-throats-calipers-vs-pin-gages/

38 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Thelma & Louise

........no.....just...no

17 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Jezebel & Delilah

image.png.a298039cdd19b8df7ee06e85119fdaf5.png

I know a girl named Delilah. Neither of us would appreciate it...

15 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Slug the bore-bet it's .452 dia. The spec was changed decades ago.

You'll need a firm roll crimp die for the bullet to hold in the rifle mag without push'n down.

Pistol recoil might 'pull' the bullet out some without using a firm crimp.

OLG

I rechecked my mold and it does have a crimp groove. I thought it was a second lube groove, but it's sloped. Hard to tell by looking at the mold. I'll have a firm crimp anyways.

If you're sure they're female then: Calamity and Belle (Calamity Jane and Belle Star);) 

Where'd the rest of those pistols go?  I think you need to find what's missing before naming them. 

If that's how they're supposed to be then just call them voltron.  Cause surely you're supposed to fasten them together somehow to make a full gun. 

On 6/14/2018 at 10:14 AM, Dorado said:

Got a couple of pictures to share.

Here are the twins.

I'm feeling the need to name them but I can't think of good names. Lefty and Righty won't work as I shoot Duelist with only my right hand so it'd be Righty Righty.

IMG_2419.JPG

The one on the left is the little sister to the one on the right.

IMG_2417.JPG

How 'bout Gog and Magog?

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

How 'bout Gog and Magog?

Huh?

Archived