SASS Wire Forum

AR-15 in No. 56-50 ctg

The sheriff’s deputies found and confiscated an AR-15 rifle and 500 rounds of 0.556 caliber ammunition that they found in the young man’s possession.

bet that sucker is a handfull on full auto :wacko:

Source: URL: / National Review / June 9 th //

20 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Last time I looked, AR15s weren't full auto.

tee hee

if those newspaper guys can start by screwing things up then I'm allowed to have a little fun too !!

Can you imagine firing a Spencer carbine on full auto :unsure:

wait a minute, first a need a quick mod: a belt-fed crew served Spencer :D

25 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Last time I looked, AR15s weren't full auto.

Nope, and last I checked they didn't come in 0.556 caliber, either!

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

They come in 50 Beowulf. Wonder what that bullet mics out as?

Because of the limitation of the AR action to about 33000 psi, ballistics performance is comparable to factory 45-70 ammo.

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

They come in 50 Beowulf. Wonder what that bullet mics out as?

dunno

i found a whole bunch of interesting info on the Spencer and the "No. 56" ctg -- here

There is a lot of confusion with regard to Spencer cartridges. This is due in no small part to their peculiar designations. Much has been printed about Spencer calibers and cartridges, a large portion of it is not correct. At the time of their introduction, it hadn't occurred to anyone to name cartridges by the caliber of the barrel for which they were intended. Therefore the first metallic ammunition was designated simply by its body diameter. Thus the cartridge that fits the Model 1863 rifle and carbine was called the "Number 56 Cartridge", since the weapon for which it is intended had a chamber of about .56". The actual barrel caliber is .52". When a 50 caliber round was first investigated, it became obvious that the chamber diameter designation was not going to work. The new round would also be .56" in body diameter. At that point, another designation was introduced. This method uses the diameter at the head and mouth of the cartridge. Thus the No. 56 became the 56-56 and the new 50 cal. round became the 56-52.

He's got a lot more interesting info on the Spencer on that page but it doesn't say anything about a "50 Beowulf" -- or a FW-190A "Focke-Wulf" either, for that matter.   The Fw-190A carried 4- 20mm cannon and two 7.9mm mg.    But I don't think you could shoot any of that out of a Spencer

maybe though, let me look for some newspaper articles  :D

1 minute ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Why is 56-50 cartridge mentioned?

I'm dyslexic.   0.556 looks a lot like "No. 56 ctg"

Remember: if you want to drink all day: You have to start in the morning

Where's Calico ??

26 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Maybe it's a 0.556 MILLIMETER and shoots mechanical pencil lead. :lol:

JHC

Cold be

I think I found one here on my desk

1089142018_VM2B4134No.556ctg.JPG.19acc0685e8dfdf5fb5bd66aa4512158.JPG

I think it's a 20mm FF Cannon

We had a bunch of "News" people in our facility on a tour.

I noticed that nearly every one of them would ask a question and then repeat back an incorrect version of what I had just said to them.

It was almost as if they were just waiting to talk and my responses to their questions confused the little "waiting to talk" mouse in their studio apartment heads.

I explained to this girl three times how the trains pull into the yard in the morning and pull out again in the afternoon for PM commuter service. All three times she got it wrong. All her cohorts listened in and interjected constantly like freakin' magpies on a limb.

They have the brains of uneducated children and the manners to match.

I finally handed them all a train schedule...that would mess them up for the remainder of the tour and they would leave me alone, I thought...It worked!

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

They have the brains of uneducated children and the manners to match.

The news has gotten one thing right, the black guns are scary

Every time one of the scary black guns comes out to play my wallet quivers :lol:

the problem is the ceegars:

if you write the messge on paper and then wrap the paper around the ceegars and then send that with the news messenger what happens is predicatable: they use the message to light the ceegars and then tell any kind of story they like instead of delivering the message

"it happens every time"  (So don't come home a drinkin' )

newspaper people

yeah

they have their story made up before they investigate anything.    their "investigation" is just to "authenticate" thier story

do we have any good ceegars in this here Toostone Saloon ??    It's been a while since I got back from Antietam

3 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Maybe it's a 0.556 MILLIMETER and shoots mechanical pencil lead. :lol:

JHC

Maybe it's 0.556 GAUGE. That would make the diameter somewhere in the neighborhood of two inches.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Maybe it's 0.556 GAUGE. That would make the diameter somewhere in the neighborhood of two inches.

now we're getting somewhere!!

I think they used to fire those with punk though so I ain't real clears how we can get it to go full auto :unsure:

758928367_VM2B4189c556gaR.jpg.dd3eca1a14ce6fc5fca01498ce30d8d3.jpg

(above)

Firing the .556 ga.  assault rifle

Full Auto !!  :D   Note that the demonstrator is using an after-market firing device !!

4 hours ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

now we're getting somewhere!!

I think they used to fire those with punk though so I ain't real clears how we can get it to go full auto :unsure:

758928367_VM2B4189c556gaR.jpg.dd3eca1a14ce6fc5fca01498ce30d8d3.jpg

(above)

Firing the .556 ga.  assault rifle

Full Auto !!  :D   Note that the demonstrator is using an after-market firing device !!

Da Vinci already took care of that problem. He made two different Fully Semi-Automatic versions.

image.png.27b98cb3670a4faa96047ebf3905cd01.png

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Da Vinci already took care of that problem. He made two different Fully Semi-Automatic versions.

ROF,LMAO :)

good one

Archived