SASS Wire Forum

Gun Chest or Trunk

I need to do a better job of getting my guns locked up. I don't want a safe; for one thing, my guns' overall value isn't so high that I want to deal with weight, price, and home location.

I thought cabinet, but I don't really want to wrestle that into the space I'm considering.

Then I thought about a trunk or chest-type locking storage. Does anybody have experience or suggestions about such? This might fit the bill well if there are good options.

A friend of mine just got his Son a bed frame that lifts up on Gas shocks and can hold a lot of guns. When the mattress is down it looks like a normal bed.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

If all you want is a locking cabinet Stack-On makes them in several sizes.  Wally World  and Amazon carry them

That's what I use for my long guns. They're chained to screw eyes driven into the wall studs. Not as secure as a safe, but they'll slow down a burglar long enough for the cat to call 911.

But (sorry, this font is on boldface and I can't stop it), is there a gun trunk or chest, as such, out there?

I appreciate that others might not want one; so also I appreciate the utility chest link. But, are there "gun chests"? This would be very useful in a large closet, for example.

A fella I know had a coffee table made that had a locking lid with a rack built inside.  You could also have a drawer made to open on rollers.  Any good cabinet maker could do it if you draw up a plan.  You'd get security, storage for your firearms, and a useful piece of furniture.

In over 40 years of law enforcement, the only residential safe B & Es I've seen were instances where the safe was either left unlocked or set to the open by spinning the combination to the last number.  I've never seen a residential Safe job where the safe was peeled or torched.  On the other hand, I've seen walls busted out to get around the roll down style closet doors "safes" and I've seen the el cheapo metal guncabinets peeled.  In addition, some prosecutors are charging people for not properly securing firearms when the firearms are subsequently used by unauthorized persons.  Just my .02, but I agree with OLG.

2 hours ago, Sarge2 said:

...some prosecutors are charging people for not properly securing firearms when the firearms are subsequently used by unauthorized persons.  Just my .02, but I agree with OLG.

I don't want to get political or lecture the original poster, but proper storage is law in Massachusetts at least.  If a little kid or a criminal gets their hands on your guns because you didn't store them properly they're going to prosecute you for it.  How bad would you feel if a cop gets shot with your gun?

With that being said the only storage solutions I've seen like you're describing are home made ones designed to hide the guns.  Security by obscurity.

5 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I don't want a safe; for one thing, my guns' overall value isn't so high that I want to deal with weight, price, and home location.

You specified "no safe", but the American Security Defense Vault is an option that meets the rest of your criteria.  Fits under a bed and can bolt to the floor.  SportCo is a bit north of you; they carry the vault for $341.

For picture purposes:  https://www.amazon.com/American-Security-Products-DV652-Defense/dp/B0063263R8

Google “Horizontal Gun Safe”. Click on images and look for what you want in this regard. If it isn’t there you may have to build it.

Good Luck

For my guns that don't fit in  my safe or cabinets I have several ww2 airforce foot lockers.   Around here there is no law that states it must be in a safe just not accessible to kids.  A locked cabinet or trunk is perfectly legal

Treadlock made (maybe stills does?) a gun chest.  Google "Treadlock chest" to see pics.  Mine has the optional cushion that makes it look like a utilitarian bench seat.  Well made and will hold a lot of guns.  It's a key lock (Medeco) system that's hidden and pretty robust.  Gas shocks hold the lid open.  Its a pain to open though; 2 locks and you have to get down and look under the front lip to see the locks.  Light enough to move with a hand truck or 2 guys, so you'd want to secure it to something.

Believe it or not there are a lot of company's making furniture  for concealin firearms but like Alpo said they don't secure them

Some great ideas, thanks. I'm going to check out the Sportco suggestion.

I'm looking not primarily for security against theft but general safekeeping from grandkids or maybe a curious friend of theirs that might drop by. Just figure it's time to get the guns locked up; should have by now.

On 6/8/2018 at 6:06 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

A friend of mine just got his Son a bed frame that lifts up on Gas shocks and can hold a lot of guns. When the mattress is down it looks like a normal bed.

Do you have any information on that bed frame, Eyesa?  I've been thinking of building the same thing, but if there's one out there already built, that may be the way to go.

Steers y'all,

Marshall, Give me a couple days and I'll see what I can learn for 'ya

Closet?  Build a gun rack on one side.  False front attached with magnets.

Walk in closet?  Cut the drywall between two studs.  Recess a gun rack and hinge a full length mirror over the opening.

Lots of options, but one option I don't subscribe to is doing nothing.  I have young grandchildren.  Even a StackOn gun cabinet will stop the grandchildren, as long as  you actually lock it.  :)

On 6/10/2018 at 11:46 AM, Marshal Hangtree said:

Do you have any information on that bed frame, Eyesa?  I've been thinking of building the same thing, but if there's one out there already built, that may be the way to go.

Steers y'all,

Marshal, Here's the info on the bed my buddy got for his son. If nothing else it may present some ideas to build upon.

https://www.amazon.com/DHP-Cambridge-Upholstered-Platform-Headboard/dp/B01MDMDJYR/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=ya_aw_od_pi

I took me a lot of shopping before I found my gun safe (my brother and I jointly own a second but that got complicated because of distance). Mine is a Stack-On, but it's one of their full safes, not merely a lockable cabinet. A plus is that it fits neatly into the closet in my gun room, so a potential thief would have to know it's there, and then have to torch/peal (which I think is unlikely as someone said above) to take anything. I don't want to put cold water on your idea, but you'll be happier with a safe.

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Hold on.  That's a thing with safes?  You make it sound like a feature, but it seems more like a broken lock. 

No.  Not a feature.  What I was trying to explain is the only resdential safe jobs I've seen is where people were lazy in either not locking the safe or setting the dial so it has only to be spun to the last number in the combination to open the safe.  I was not recommending.  You wouldn't believe how many people do this, and the bad guys know it.

years ago i built a cabinet to display my collection of enfields/webleys and it got picked up in a top ten once by someone on the net - it was rustic from cedar , in those days i had a really secure environment for it and dont ask how i know but response time to that location was 3 minutes , today its gone to another home , i have far more secure locks on them , it is something we need to think about these days , 

there was a day when hanging the rifles and shotguns over the fireplace and on racks in the dining room was not an issue , those days are gone unfortunately , a well locked room is the only way i do that these days ,  very few of mine are where anyone could get to them easily and even those are well locked , my SASS guns are in locked cases inside locked rooms these days , safes are inconvenient but a wise choice , 

Archived