SASS Wire Forum

American derringer

evil dogooder

Are they any good? 

Local toy store has one almost mint in the box with paperwork for 400

And to stop all of it before it starts no I'm not interested in a bond.  Too big too bulky for what i am looking for. 

I am not familiar with an American Arms Derringer.  Tho, there were a number of Derringer makers with various names marketing entry level firearms and it's possible one was marketed under the American Arms name.  

At the price point you mention; it is most likely an American Derringer brand.

American Derringer is/ was a fantastic firearm.  Quality for all intents and purposes is (imo) just as good as a Bond and (again in my own opinion) they are more asthetically pleasing as they look more like an old Remington Derringer.

The Bond is easier/ faster to use; as I believe the trigger geometry is slightly better on a Bond.  But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the American Derringer from a use or quality standpoint.

I had an American Derringer for a long time as my side match gun.  Only changed to a Bond when one came thru the gunship at a price I could not resist and only because I think the Bond is superior from a competitive aspect.

Sorry you are correct creekee it's American derringer 

I like that it's slimmer. Smaller but built strong.   The down side is it's 9mm.

It's not for competition although it may make an appearance or two

I have an M1 American Derrenger in .45 Colt that I have used and carried for nearly 20 years. We used it as a pickup gun in numerous shooting scenarios over the years at one club where I shot, almost every month.

It has been my “don’t ask, don’t tell” gun for a long time. Never failed to fire. Small enough to conceal in my back pocket. Willy McCoy checkered the grips for me.

Two rounds of Hornady Critical Defense will help me get to better cover and my normal carry weapon if it ever comes to that.

Damn good gun!

I have three of them in .22 LR, 32-20 (special order) and .38 special.  I also have an original Remington in .41 RF.  The American Derringer is only slightly larger than the Remington and is if very high quality.  Unlike some of the import models with pot metal frames.  I’ve owned the 32-20 for about 20 years and fired it maybe a couple of thousand rounds.  It shows very little wear.  See the photo for a size comparison.

The Remington .41 is the one that’s not stainless (he says toung in cheek.)

C201EB5A-5A60-4322-B57A-A2476C0EE88C.jpeg

20D0DB7C-44AE-411E-827F-40D6237B3B9E.jpeg

A5C764EF-B3E4-4B83-B43B-8CBD5C9F53EC.jpeg

17 hours ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Are you wanting to use it in side matches or a concealed carry gun..

Side match... Probably won't hold up for more than a few matches..

Concealed carry.. Yer good to go if you like it..

Rance ;)

Just my thinkin..:unsure:

I believe Rance has the American Derringer confused with the Davis/Cobra (same cruddy gun with a name change, since Davis had such a bad rep).

4 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I believe Rance has the American Derringer confused with the Davis/Cobra (same cruddy gun with a name change, since Davis had such a bad rep).

Alpo I think you are right.  I had a Davis once, a POS.  The American Derringer is a fine machine.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Yer right.. Confusion with the Cobra.. :unsure:

Lifetime guarantee if you can handle the FFL fees..

I bought one (Cobra) and it lasted about 2 maybe 3 side matches.

I had it repaired.. Lays on a shelf.. :mellow:

Then I won one... I Sold it without ever shooting it..

Currently have the Bond..

Rance ;)

Thanks for the observation..:)

I had an American Derringer in .38 Special that I bought as a side match gun back in about 2005 for $250.  It had about a nineteen pound trigger pull so consequently it proved to be a lousy side match gun and worthless for self defense. It sat in the safe for about twelve years and I thought it would be a good idea to try it in another side match and then I remembered why it sat in the safe for so long. I sold it last year for $235 and I felt a little guilty taking that much for it. Won't buy another.

I shot a friend's .45 ACP American Derringer once.  I thought it was similar size to a Bond.  Anyway, it had stag grips on it with a lot of texture, and it really hurt to shoot that gun!

Here are pictures of an American Derringer and a Bond Mini.  Look close at the picture of the American.  It is laying on top of the Bond Mini.  They are both well built guns.  The weak link on my American Derringer has been the hammer shuttle (correct name?).  It only hits the bottom half of the firing pin.  If dry fired a lot the top of the hammer shuttle will chip off.  They both can be tuned to be used in competition.  Neither one is hard to work on.  The American resembles the original Remington closer.

IMG_0005 (1).JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

I have 2 American Derringers, shoot and carry them. I prefer them over a Bond for their feel in hand and especially the safety that  comes off when the hammer is brought to full cock. This is impotent fore a carry pistol, have an original .41 and a .45/410 that you have to "mess with" the safety.

pictured

Texas commemorative and original Remington

DSCN5287.JPG

I have some Derringers that work for me and one used in side matches is a Davis Derringer .38 special &  won a few side matches with it.

Others  are a Cobra .22 caliber, another bored out for .22 magnum and a Colt .22 caliber. All work very well.

Have mot used these for some time & sit in the safe.

JRJ

Hondo JRJ Derringer 1.JPG

Archived