SASS Wire Forum

Taylor Pistols

Col Del Rio

Taylors is a distributor for Uberti (primarily) built guns, Rifles and Pistols. I know several that shoot the Running Irons and the Smoke Wagon's. IF you spend a bit more you can get them "tuned" before shipping.

Taylors has a couple of "made for them" guns as does Cimarron. But, both are Uberti built.

I picked up a pair of Deluxe Smokewagons (.357 in 4 3/4") at my local brick and mortar (it was a 5% over cost sale), and I really like them as my first set of pistols. The hammers sit pretty high, which makes shooting duelist a bit of a reach, but they feel solid without being heavy. They seem remarkably smooth to me given a few other pards have handed me their slicked up Rugers and exclaimed, "Here, try these." The non-deluxe models might be a different story.

That said, for another couple hundred, a pair of Rugers might be a better long term investment. I've put about 1000 rounds through my Smokewagons, so I can't speak to their durability, but they still look and feel new to me.

If you're looking for a 357/38 or 45 Colt,  you can go to any gunshop that is a Berrata dealer and look at the Uberti Cattleman they have in stock or can order. Same guns, same factory.  What they won't have available are special calibers like 44WCF and they won't have as many configurations as Taylor's or Cemerron.  

With Uberti Cattleman series produced today,  you will get the retracting firing pin safety system.  The retracting firing pin system has not won over the CAS community.  

If I were shopping for a new SAA clone,  I'd probably look at the Pietta line imported by EMF. 

I have a couple of Uberti Gunfighters I got from Taylor’s.  They have the new safety hammer and have not had any problems with them.  They are in 44-40 and are Taylor tuned.  I love them.

I have a pair of SmokeWagons in .357, they shoot great! I had a pair of them in .44-40 back in my "dark side days", they were also great shooters.

Taylor's also has GREAT customer service, the folks there can't be any nicer!;)

I have two sets of Uberti Cattleman in 357 & 45 Colt. I have a set of Taylor Cattleman in 32-20. All are stock and I wouldn't consider getting rid of any of them for something else. They fit my large hands perfectly and all are quite accurate.

I shot the Runnin' Irons for a while.  I believe they come already tuned from Taylor's.  LOVED them.  Had one minor issue with a front sight and Taylor's customer service handled it beautifully.  I've since switched to Ruger SASS Vaqueros, but only because they seemed to fit me a bit better.  Absolutely no complaints whatsoever about the Runnin' Irons and Taylor's is a wonderful company to deal with. 

I shoot a pair of Taylor's/Uberti 58 Remingtons with kirst konverters in 45 Colt. Great guns, great people! Customer service second to none! I will be getting a pair of 75's in the future from them.

Archived