SASS Wire Forum

my soon to be 13 year old got a diamondback

Trigger Mike

He was out riding his 4 wheeler and saw a 5 foot 14 button rattlesnake.  he ran over it with the 4 wheeler which only mad the snake REALLY mad ( and I warned him afterwards how blessed he was it did not bite him as he went by) .  it coiled up to strike.  he called me and I came out and lent him my S & W Governor.  He dispatched that angry critter right there.  it had come from the area by the kids tree house.  We froze it and plan on taking it to sell tomorrow.  different places advertise they buy dead rattlers.  He is all excited.  He held it up after we took its head off and he had to hold it above his head to keep it from touching the ground.  We took it to the house and let all of the children see it to know what to avoid.   He is having a hard time sleeping due to his excitement.  

What was also interesting was the 2 cats came to see it but were really nervous. They would not come right to it and were awful jittery . After we moved it to the back yard in a bucket they hung around nearby but were still nervous

Howdy,

If I was a rich fella I would buy that young fella a Colt Diamondback,

which is what I thought this was about.

Please pass along congrats and advise the young fella to use the right tool

for the  job in the many days to come.

Best

CR

He did a fine job and learned a lesson.

Never do anything that doesn’t dispatch a snake right away and brings the sole focus of a snake on you. Either get clear or take care of it immediately and with as little notice to the snake as possible. This works for two legged snakes as well. ;)

Good job!

But beware!

We had one last year that my son blew in two with a 12 ga.

The business end kept coming at him while the noisy end writhered.

he collected $15 from a gas station in town (actually a gas station, truck stop, restaurant with a buffet and a gun store all in one) .  they had a freezer full of really large rattlers.  He was proud.  he said he felt like spending the money right away.  Then we went to a different gun store to get his 10/22 rifle fixed and the guy fixed it for free but told him it was $35 so he said he would give the guy $5 so the guy kept trying to get more out of him and the most he would go was $5.50.  As we left he thanked the guy.  the guy grew up on the land we know own when his grandfather farmed.  He is still on cloud 9 about it all and hit me up for a 410 single shot and a 410 youth model pump as well as a 2 shot 45 auto and even a NAA mini revolver in 22 magnum with a 3 inch barrel.  

Uh oh! The collection begins...

my wife read me that article.  I told my son and other children.  He was careful with the head and buried it deep .  I gave him a mount to put on his Honda 420 the i handed down to him that was mine and he put his ruger 10/22 in it that I also handed down to him last Christmas.  He went hunting for rattlers.  he liked the $15 he got for one.  

My uncle saw a rattler get run over by a car on the way to work one morning in Pennsylvania.  It was still beside the road on the way home so he decided to take the rattle off it.  Reached down to cut the tail with his knife and the mean end jumped up and struck him in the hand.  He got lucky.  Apparently getting run over had snapped the fangs off short and it didn't enter his blood stream.  Turned the web of his thumb a nice shade of purple for a few days though.

Also remember reading an article when I was younger saying to always bury the head because wasps feed on it and become as deadly as the rattler--not sure that's true, but why chance it?

Archived