SASS Wire Forum

What are the chances: old gun like new?

I'm in a good position to buy a NIB Remington Nylon 66, (mohawk brown model) mfg around 1959 at a great price.

I haven't seen it yet.

Will this .22 rifle still be new or can some of those 'zytel' parts be dry rotted, etc.....? 

And what are the chances of it still running like a new rifle?

I've never bought such an older firearm, so I'm curious as to what some of you more knowledgeable pards think.

Thanks

..........Widder

If you Google “zytel nylon 66” you will see a lot of info about the nylon used on these guns and just from what I saw you shouldn’t have a worry if the gun is NIB like the seller told you.

I have six Remington nylons: Models 12, 66 (3), 76 and 77. I purchased the Nylon 77 new in 1970 and it has had thousands of rounds through it. It still looks and functions as if brand new! The others were purchased used but were all in excellent condition. I have seen some pretty rough ones though.

A NIB 66 should be an excellent rifle.

Check out http://www.nylonrifles.com for lots of info. There is a link to a forum on the site also.

I have lots of info also: manual, disassembly, field service guide, schematic, etc.

Still kicking myself for not buying a dozen back in the 70s.  Thought they were B^#! Ugly compared to my 552 Speedmaster. 

Cousin bought one and just like my Speedmaster it would digest Shorts, Longs and Long Rifles with nary a hickup.

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I'm in a good position to buy a NIB Remington Nylon 66, (mohawk brown model) mfg around 1959 at a great price.

I haven't seen it yet.

Will this .22 rifle still be new or can some of those 'zytel' parts be dry rotted, etc.....? 

And what are the chances of it still running like a new rifle?

I've never bought such an older firearm, so I'm curious as to what some of you more knowledgeable pards think.

Thanks

..........Widder

I shoot mine all the time. 

I have a Weaver Quik Point sight mounted on top and it is just what you need for those fast moving jack rabbits.

Hint.

If you take it apart..... be prepared for springs and pieces to fly everywhere.

And getting it back together requires nimble fingers and time.

When they first came out I could have made a living reassembling them.

My friend brought over 3 Nylon 66's in Mohawk Brown and 1 Nylon 77 (clip fed) in green.

All of them are nice except one is rumored to be NIB from 1959, with papers too.   WOW!

WHERE did Remington hide the serial numbers?   Only one of them has the number stamped on the side of the receiver plate.

I can't find it on the others.

..........Widder

The early ones did not have serial numbers. Give me a few minutes and I will see what I can find.

FOUND IT! http://www.nylonrifles.com/wp/2013/01/dating-tips-for-your-nylon-rifle/

There is a two letter code on the barrel that can be used to date the rifle. This is also explained in the above link.

The receiver can be removed without anything "flying out". I will send you a guide. PM me your e-mail address.

Indian Ryder, thanks for the link and info.  Do you still have the Remington Nylon 66 I sold you back in 2013? I think it was a Rem Black Diamond (Rare)

Big Jake 1001

7 hours ago, Big Jake1001 said:

Indian Ryder, thanks for the link and info.  Do you still have the Remington Nylon 66 I sold you back in 2013? I think it was a Rem Black Diamond (Rare)

Big Jake 1001

Sure do.

Have it, a Bolt action 12, an Apache Black and Chrome 66, a Seneca Green 66, a lever action 76 and the magazine fed 77. I don't have a regular Mohawk Brown 66 though. I did back in the early 60's but I sold it and bought the 77.

When you take the receiver cover off the ejector can fall out on the left side, but it's a simple matter to put it back. Just don't forget it or else you'll have a rifle that can't eject cases. IIRC the ejector can actually be taped in place.

The one I bought was found at a pawn shop several years ago. I'd always wanted a Nylon 66 since I was a teenager, and so I bought it just for the nostalgia. Unfortunately the thing refused to function when I took it to the range, and once back home I began to disassemble it to see what was wrong with it. Turned out a prior owner had completely detail-stripped it and couldn't figure out how to get it back together again, and many parts were literally taped in place. Fortunately none of the parts had been lost, and with help from documents downloaded from nylonrifles.com I got it back together correctly, and it's worked fine ever since.

UPDATE:

Well, I seen a bunch of 66's and a 77 yesterday.

In my possession are:

New with box, model 66 Mohawk Brown.  Barrel marked with  D F  6.    Made in Sept 1959.   But, I don't know about that number 6.

The other rifle is a bit confusing because of the finish.   It is a Mohawk Brown, but its not shiny like the other Nylon 66 rifles.

Its a 'flat brown' color that is actually nice looking.

Barrel is marked with WM 4   or   WM  34.    Made in August 1965.   But don't know about that number.

..........Widder

23 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Hey ACE,

Can the receiver plate be removed without any of the springs, etc.... flying out?

Can it be unscrewed and lifted off?

..........Widder

You are asking me to take my mind back to the early 1970's.

I'm afraid I can't answer that question without taking one apart again myself......... 

PATRIOT,

Thanks.  That is VERY helpful because a couple of the rifles needed some cleaning.

The 77 had a had a very sticky bolt that wouldn't allow the bolt to blow back far enough to pick up the next round from the clip.

Hopefully, it will function good now.

Thanks again.

..........Widder

In case you weren't already aware, the Nylon 66 and its cousins require next to no lubrication, except for what little is needed to keep the steel parts from rusting. One of the reasons why they're so reliable and so good for back-country use is the fact that there's no oil to mix with firing residue and gum up the works, like with most .22 semi-autos.

Archived