SASS Wire Forum

how well do watches hold up to the ocean?

Trigger Mike

All my life I have only bought the cheap Timex at walmart.  The last few years they leave a rash for some reason.  I guess my chemistry changed.  They also have become pitted on the back that touches m arm when worn in the ocean.  I wear it though to keep track of time since i have to eat on schedule or have a sugar problem.  Due to the rash I thought a better brand might solve the problem such as one of the seiko or citizen brand that recharge either by movement or by solar.  How well does citizen or seiko hold up in the ocean?  how about other higher priced brands?

I have had timex, seiko and currently use a citizen eco drive watch, the main thing is rinsing them off after salt water use (started scuba diving in 1976), really like my citizen eco drive but it was also a gift from my daughters so i might be biased. 

Take care, stay safe

drd

Seiko is the official watch of PADI

pro diving org

i bought one of the new solar ones from Costco. Paid I think about $230 which was about 40% below retail and its doing just fine and I am tough on watches

Howdy,

Try the Reactor titanium line.

Trident offers stainless or Ti.

If you have questions just call em up.

Often get live real folks with answers.

Ti is salt proof afaik.

Or maybe a double coat of clear nail polish on a new cheap watch?

But if you start with cheap materials what can that lead too???

Best

CR

I found good prices from Princeton watch online vendor.

and sometimes Reactor has refurbished offerings too.

Those are direct from Reactor.

Other more famous watches have just outrun my gold dust.

I cant sponsor F1.

My TAG-Heuer Aquaracer is supposed to be resistant down to 300m (984 ft). I'm not sure why since you can't survive at ANYWHERE near that depth.  Maybe some fisherman will catch the TAG after you're crushed! :P

JHC

When I used to swim in the ocean I didn’t wear a watch as reflections might cause an Arm-Eating-Shark  to think my arm was a fish. :D

I was swimming and surfing and didn’t need to keep track of time, not like a diver. I say this to recommend if you must wear a watch wear a black one in the ocean...or a dull finished one. Also, a raised bezel might not allow the crystal to reflect as much as well.

Had a Zodiac that worked great until I smashed it on a coral reef while diving in the Keys. If you want a watch to wear in the ocean, get a good dive watch, not a cheap "water resistant" watch.

Archived