SASS Wire Forum

Completed stocks

Alright.

I have been besieged by individuals who want finished stocks for their beloved guns, because they don't have the skills or the want to to fit the stock to the steel.

After I get my shop moved (Hopefully by July) I will begin making completed buttstocks for $250.00 and fore stocks for $150.00.

90% inletted are $150.00 and $75.00 respectively.

Recoil pads will be $25.00 +pad if done at the same time as the stock. 

I kinda have to.... He hangs around me a lot!

I think he thinks I'm his daddy.

• 2 weeks later...

OOooh!  Fantastic.  I'm going to need a new buttstock for my SKB.  Acraglas and pegs are holding it together now...  Let us know when you're open for business.

I have about half the roof on the new storage shed so I can start moving my stuff into it.

I'll be so glad to get all my power tools inside where I can work without disturbing the neighbors.

I am afraid they are going to have to put up with the noise of the duplicator though. I takes up too mush room and produces a bunch of dust but at least I will be able to get to it without moving 1000 pounds of stuff.

Try to remember guys.... and girls....

It is a LOOSE fitting stock that cracks and splits easier on a gun.

Take that shotgun (and rifle) and invest in a glass bedding kit from any good supplier. YES, this includes the Fore stock.

Bedding the stock properly causes the recoil to be absorbed more evenly. Not just where steel touches wood now.

A $25.00 kit is a lot cheaper than a new stock or having to repair a stock.

• 3 weeks later...

Well.... The new storage shed is almost done and I have just a few shingles left to put on the roof when and if the wind stops blowing. 

Most of my electronic security parts are nor moved into this shed and I am wiring the old shed for my use as my NEW shop.

I can see my machines. I just can't get to them to use them yet. (Anyone want to come help me move a 400 lb band saw?)

At the rate I am going I will be able to start producing finished stocks by the end of August. (Right after regionals)

2 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Car dollies and a hi-lift jack--I just used them to move a 1400 pound metal lathe---over grass, no less.. 

I have to pick it up about 2 feet to get it in the door.

I think I'll just disassemble it into three parts and put it back together inside.

• 2 weeks later...

The shop is nearing completion.

Just the Thickness planer and the drill press and a small grinder/buffer to go.

WP_20180711_13_48_07_Pro[1].jpg

• 2 months later...

FINALLY!!!!!

I have made 6 rather expensive pieces of firewood before discovering what was wrong with my duplicator.....!

I have been using hot glue to secure a piece of wood in the neck of a butt stock for a couple of years...... BUT! I have never duplicated a stock in the middle of a Las Vegas summer before.

It seems the hot glue likes to flex  A LOT when it is over 100 degrees. And since the duplicator is outside the shop all the stocks were coming out too small.

Now I am ready to catch up on the back orders.

Sorry to those who are waiting. Especially for SKB stocks.

• 2 months later...

Ace .Can you shortin stocks from the front end & not the butt end.?

Largo

The quick answer is NO. But that depends on the stock and how much you want it shortened.

You will probably be limited to somewhere around 1/4 inch and the expense of removing that much by hand would be high in the labor end.

What is it you are trying to achieve?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 7:41 AM, largo casey #19191 said:

OK.Can you duplicate a Cresant stock except 1" shorter?

Largo

Sorry I didn't see this post before.....

In order to do that, I have to make a pattern stock from soft wood. Then cut an inch from the middle of the pattern and reshape the stock. Then I take the what I have and make a duplicate stock. You are looking at a lot of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news ACE. You did a repair last year but it didn't hold. I need a beavertail fore stock for my SKB 200E, 12 gauge.  What do you need to make and fit it? Is just the barrel assy enough... PM me...Thanks  RT

Send me the fore-end and I will repair it at no charge.

I have a new process that reinforces the joint.

Ace, I'm not complaining about your work just thinking it needs another approach. Tthis is the fore stock that you repaired with glue and saw dust, because the area was too small for a wood replacement .  While it worked initially the repair failed over time this past year with all the bumping and movement on the firing line.  The glue and saw dust just seemed to get flexible and ultimately fell off.

I'm just thinking maybe it should just be replaced or more wood cut out to allow for a wood replacement.  

Just let me know what to send you...…… Regards  RT

That is why we have a new approach. The piece was extremely small and our new process works on pieces twice that size and larger very well.

A replacement would run you $75.00 + shipping.

Should I send the barrels as well. for a correct fit on the repair or new fore stock.  Thanks...….. .RT

• 1 month later...

in an earlier post you talked about Bedding the shotgun with a kit.

Where can I find info on how to do this correctly?

I have an SKB 100 with a jacked up stock

Thank You

Dakota

SKB's stocks are notorious for cracking up at the front where the scallop digs into the wood.

The proper place for them to recoil into is inside the stock where the through bolt enters the stock. The block that holds the through bolt in place is actually a recoil lug and needs to be bedded to the wood.

You can use 30 min epoxy mixed with wood dust/shavings or glass bedding compound.

Make sure that you apply a generous amount of release on all metal parts before reassembling after applying the compound. Two sheets of paper or thin card stock should be used between the scallop on the receiver and the wood to give enough clearance so that the gun no longer recoils into the wood at that point.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
On 6/11/2018 at 10:12 AM, Ace_of_Hearts said:

I have about half the roof on the new storage shed so I can start moving my stuff into it.

I'll be so glad to get all my power tools inside where I can work without disturbing the neighbors.

I am afraid they are going to have to put up with the noise of the duplicator though. I takes up too mush room and produces a bunch of dust but at least I will be able to get to it without moving 1000 pounds of stuff.

You have a DUPLICATOR ? how about making me 2 of  GINGER  .:D :FlagAm:

2 hours ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

You have a DUPLICATOR ? how about making me 2 of  GINGER  .:D :FlagAm:

Send me your old broken one and I will! :)

Archived