SASS Wire Forum

Hey Moderators!

Captain Bill Burt

38 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Isn’t that the purpose of a forum like this?

That was my understanding of the purpose of a forum, so yes.  In the closed forum, I saw no rules broken or even approaching being bent.  Seems the decision to close it was completely arbitrary.

One more comment. I think this idea of anonymous moderators is stoopid.

If you’re enforcing the rules as written then why do you need anonymity, unless you think SASS members can’t determine which posts and which members stray from the guidelines?  

Do our TOs wear masks when making their calls?

If you believe in the call you’re making then own up to it.

If not, then don’t make the call.

Nothing wrong with anonymous moderators. I like unbiased moderation and hope that’s the goal. Give the the new (and better hopefully) system a chance. 

PM the moderators if need be. 

GG

41 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

If you’re enforcing the rules as written then why do you need anonymity, unless you think SASS members can’t determine which posts and which members stray from the guidelines?  

I believe that anonymity is necessary to get people to volunteer for the job. I support Misty's attempt to improve the Wire, allowing that it might be an imperfect process along the way.

30 minutes ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

Nothing wrong with anonymous moderators. I like unbiased moderation and hope that’s the goal. Give the the new (and better hopefully) system a chance. 

PM the moderators if need be. 

GG

It’s not unbiased moderation. It’s moderation without personal accountability for decisions made.

9 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

It’s not unbiased moderation. It’s moderation without personal accountability for decisions made.

I see it different. Oh well...

GG

The best way to change something you feel is not being handled properly is to take on the task yourself.  Don’t be a part of the problem by complaining and critisizing, become part of the solution by contributing your time and effort..

That is all

The new moderators are trying very hard to do a good job.  If you have a problem with what they are doing send them a PM.  They are very considerate and helpful.   The system is not perfect, but it is a vast improvement over what we had!!!!!!

I have had the opportunity to message with the moderators and found them to be respectful, conscientious, and very willing to help.  It was a far cry from the attitude displayed in the past.

The difference between now and then; the forum allows more diversity in the way folks can express themselves.

I don't know if the Moderators were under instructions from the SASS board to do this or if it was simply the Mods own belief in how the forums should be moderated.

I'm liking this new Wire...

Phantom

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Hi Bill,

I have a solution to that. It will still spare the Moderators what I experienced, which led to the decision for anonymity .

Use the report feature to express your view on a moderator's comment. Misty will get a copy of the Report and she knows who the Moderators are. I just tested this and it works for locked threads. If she agrees with the action, I expect you will hear that. If she doesn't agree, I imagine the thread will be unlocked or the action will be reversed.

As happened to me many times, people will complain about a locked thread in another thread, just like this. They will not know that the Moderators may have hidden numerous offensive posts that violated the Guidelines.

BTW, I got blamed for everything, even when it was a joint decision of the Moderating Team. That wasn't the reason anonymity came about, although it indirectly factored in.

Regards,

Allie

5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Thanks for volunteering!

Less is more!

How about you stop locking threads that don’t violate forum rules just because YOU feel the discussion is over?

What’s the justification for that?

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Capt. Bill, you and I are pretty good friends so take this from someone who knows you.  In a classroom there has to be someone riding herd on the students.....like it or not its a fact and given your life experiences you know this firsthand. So the fact is there HAS to be a moderator or teacher or someone to keep order.

As to whether or not the moderators need to be anonymous or 'unmasked' I think that is up for debate.  Given that we have, in the past years that I've been on the Wire, named moderators whose identity everyone knew.....this seemed to give some of the more vociferous (yes Capt. Bill, I looked that word up in my SAT dictionary :lol:) Wire posters a problem.  When you have named moderators there were people who seemed to make it their days work to personally chastise any Moderator that they did not agree with.  When it get's personal it can be out of hand.

All that to say the given the fact that there is a definite need for moderators the "unmasked' version of moderating had run its course and the SASS management thought it time for a change to anonymous moderators.  I personally think this idea has merit and would like to give it every opportunity to succeed. From what I've seen so far it seems to be working pretty well.  I'd like to see it runs its course, under the careful watchful eye of Misty and SASS management, and if there are any tweaks that need to be made they will see to it.

Kajun

12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So what was this terrible infraction committed by the Mods??

They talked to a Russian?

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

The mods are needed to keep control of a wire that can get out of hand . that being said I do not agree with the hiding and lurking:ph34r: looking for issues . IMHO  BUT, it is what it is and if we do not like it we can move to other sites that deal with cowboy shooting. I plan on staying put for now.:unsure:

IMHO, the anominity of the Moderators is a better method than having volunteers be known, only from the standpoint of providing them the opportunity to respond to other forum threads as themselves.

This assumes that the Moderators are allowed to be signed on either as a Moderator or as their Alias, either at the same time, our only one sign on at a time.

Personal attacks on a named Moderator could tarnish their reputation, whereas attacking unnamed Moderators seems to be less likely.

The thread in question I am guessing is:

If it is, I'm all for open discussions, but those that take on a negative connotation from the start would be one that even I would lock from further discussion if I was a Moderator.

I see the analogy as "airing ones dirty laundry".

Personally, I'm not interested in those type of open discussions as they never lead to positive results.

Many people don’t like Anonymous Moderators because they have no one person to have recourse with should they have an issue.

After Modding the Wire for 6 months I can tell you that there are many reason for “anonymous Moderators” 

1. Hostility towards Mods for their actions in following and enforcing guidelines.

2. Mods can be a part of the Wire and not get Everything they do or say critiqued.

3. The rules and guidelines are the focus, not the person of the Mod.

If you don’t like something a Mod is doing you have an avenue, three, to voice your opinion. One, post a thread. Two, PM the Mod - they have Mod names. Three, contact SASS HQ.

Mods aren’t perfect. Mods are people, just like everyone else here because they ARE everyone else here. You have no idea who the Mods are. Your best Pard could be s Mod. Your least favorite person could be a Mod. If Mods are doing their job well and fairly it shouldn’t matter who they are. If they aren’t it isn’t your or my job,or right, to correct that. It’s the Administrator’s and SASS HQ’s job...unless, of course you wish to volunteer to help out...

And No, I am no longer a Mod nor will I be. I do not have the proper demeanor for it. I appreciate and respect the people that do because they have to put up with...Us.

Edited: I really do need to proofread more...

This is a dissapointing thread coming from a RO Instructor. I believe the ghost mods are a good change. I also think they are probably finding their way. IMO previous moderation was not always done with an even hand. I don’t believe in martyrs when it comes to volunteer positions. If it makes you misearable simply DON’t DO IT. This is the internet guys and gals. Everyone needs to take a deep breath. 

20 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

You can just imagine the Hue and Cry about Mod censorship then.

Angst - you forgot about the Angst ! :D

Archived