SASS Wire Forum

'HE' is a good '97' Mechanic

Widder, SASS #59054

Curly Bill Kelly.

I ain't gonna say he is the best..... because there are other great 97 smiths in SASS.

But I will say that he has a great knowledge of how the 97 works and how to look for issues and SOLVE them.

I took him a 97 yesterday.    The hammer cocking notch was bumping the trigger as it fell.   Of course, cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger

would be easy to diagnose.   But during the takedown and fixing (what I thought was only 1 issue),  Curly Bill removed a broken screw and replaced it, 

elongated the left side slot in the bolt (IAC model) and installed and tuned a 'good' left side extractor.   He also fixed a couple other issues he found

and now, another  97's is running great.

I like it when a gunsmith is conscientious enough to check out stuff and bring it to my attention for repairs.  It says a lot about the character of a man

and his work ethics.

Curly Bill don't read the wire.   But a public 'THANK YOU' is always appropriate for another one of our great Cowboy gunsmiths.

..........Widder

I'll second that Widder.  Not only did Curly Bill tune my two 97's among other weapons he also took the time to educate me.  A  pleasure to deal with.

I think he still uses a flip phone but I did encourage him to delve deeper into the World Wide Web.  

Not sure that will happen,  however he is a First Class Cowboy and Gunsmith.

Sheriff Langston.

I'll third what Widder said......I was shooting at Wartrace when the firing pin in my 97 got stuck in the bolt in the forward position.....unbeknownst that this had happened i threw my second shell in and it caught on the side of the receiver with the firing pin against the primer.....BOOM.....needless to say, the gun was toasted. Slide came loose from hook screw, shot and back pressure seized the bolt up in place....

I sent the 97 to Curly Bill via Widder.......week or so later I get a call from a Tennesse number and it was Curly Bill.  That phone call lasted at least an hour, afterwards I was totally convinced that prior to that conversation I didnt know Jack about a 97.  Curly Bill knows the intricacies of the 97 like none other ive ever encountered.  His brilliance is that he can convey all the details of everything thats happening inside that gun in a way that paints a visual that is easy to understand.  A few weeks later I received that 97 back from him with a detailed list of everything he had done.....it ran like a "charm".  

Since then, we've had some great conversations about 97's and i sent him another with the message to "do what you do".  Another 97 I cherish.....I own 23, 24, 25 Winchester 97s'...lost count...but my 2 Curly Bill 97's are my go to guns.

My hats off to a great 97 smith and a great guy.

Red Knee

Other gunsmiths are better known, but Curly Bill is one of the best.  He knows 97s and there are few better on tuning a Colt.

He is my trusted gunsmith and a great friend.

23 hours ago, Red Knee said:

I'll third what Widder said......I was shooting at Wartrace when the firing pin in my 97 got stuck in the bolt in the forward position.....unbeknownst that this had happened i threw my second shell in and it caught on the side of the receiver with the firing pin against the primer.....BOOM.....needless to say, the gun was toasted. Slide came loose from hook screw, shot and back pressure seized the bolt up in place....

I sent the 97 to Curly Bill via Widder.......week or so later I get a call from a Tennesse number and it was Curly Bill.  That phone call lasted at least an hour, afterwards I was totally convinced that prior to that conversation I didnt know Jack about a 97.  Curly Bill knows the intricacies of the 97 like none other ive ever encountered.  His brilliance is that he can convey all the details of everything thats happening inside that gun in a way that paints a visual that is easy to understand.  A few weeks later I received that 97 back from him with a detailed list of everything he had done.....it ran like a "charm".  

Since then, we've had some great conversations about 97's and i sent him another with the message to "do what you do".  Another 97 I cherish.....I own 23, 24, 25 Winchester 97s'...lost count...but my 2 Curly Bill 97's are my go to guns.

My hats off to a great 97 smith and a great guy.

Red Knee

Red Knee, the big question is, did Widder get his hands  on it and add any of his special lube before it left Curly Bills shop or was it kept locked up out of Widder's reach?:D

Randy

Randy,

It is really painful to admit that one of my 97's was left alone with Widder.  

I think Curly Bill made Widder pinky promise not to mess with my 97 in hopes that I would send him more to work on........otherwise that 97 woulda been super lubed for Widders viewing pleasure. :)

Red Knee

Rawhide Red,

sent you a PM.  You should be able to send me a message now.

RANDY :   Lubrication is only needed to help reduce friction and help stop rusting.

In Red Knee's shotguns,  not much friction happens..... :lol:,   BUT, he might could use some for hisowndangself cause he looked

a little rusty when I was out in Oklahoma..... :o

Do you think he'll be able to beat 4.40 in October?

..........Widder

21 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Rawhide Red,

sent you a PM.  You should be able to send me a message now.

RANDY :   Lubrication is only needed to help reduce friction and help stop rusting.

In Red Knee's shotguns,  not much friction happens..... :lol:,   BUT, he might could use some for hisowndangself cause he looked

a little rusty when I was out in Oklahoma..... :o

Do you think he'll be able to beat 4.40 in October?

..........Widder

Widder, I don't know, but I can practically guarantee it will be fun to watch. Should be Pink and fast for both of you. Are you tough enough to wear pink?

Randy

I can’t wait for the rematch at Wartrace!!  I’ll bring popcorn!  

Hugs,

Scarlett

8 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I can’t wait for the rematch at Wartrace!!  I’ll bring popcorn!  

Hugs,

Scarlett

Hi Scarlett.

It will be a rematch for Me and Red Knee....... BUT, from what I know and understand, the real show could be from a couple other pards who might attend.  

This side match is not only about speed, but endurance and equipment.   I takes all afternoon to settle this outcome and some good 97's might give up the ghost before its over.

This is so much fun that Wartrace has a number of volunteers who want to TO it....... ya know, be there to enjoy the whole show...... especially ALL the foul-ups, mishaps..... and those super fast runs where only 5 plates fall..... :o

"Ya better watch out

Ya better no cry

Ya better not pout

I'm telling you why...........................Ole Red Knee is coming to town".

..........Widder

Guess I’ll need to bring a LOT of popcorn!! 

..........Hugs!

Scarlett

49 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Guess I’ll need to bring a LOT of popcorn!! 

..........Hugs!

Scarlett

Might want to bring some for me also.

This is as entertaining for the watchers as it is the shooters.

Hope to see you soon..... maybe at BG in July.

:wub:

..........Widder

Archived