SASS Wire Forum

Getting into CAS for the budget minded

McCandless

I got to thinking about how I started in Cowboy Action Shooting... it was on a bit of a budget.  I first bought a Rossi '92 24" .45  while visiting down in Florida, $400.  Then I found a blonde wood Stevens 311 at a gun show, $200, that was when the $7 fix first became popular.  Then I ended up with a pair of used Blackhawks, in 45 bought at different times, $289 and $279  Because they were less expensive than any Vaquero.  Got hold of some used leather off of the CAS-list, maybe $100.  So for 1300 I was ready to go.  Built a gun cart out of scrap laying around the shop.

I bought ammo from a commercial reloader until I bought my first press, a Lee Single Stage.

I think these are the guns I used to shoot 2002 EoT.  Didn't know what the heck I was doing, but had a lot of fun.  The followed with the SouthEast Regional at Mule Camp!  Wooohooo!  

I sold those Blackhawks, and bought some used Pietta "1858" Remingtons and had a bunch of fun with them, even shot EoT 2003 with them.  The went on to Mule Camp and won my first plaque, 3rd Place Frontiersman!  I was stoked, and hooked on SASS. 

Yes, I bought and sold a lot of toys since then, and own some very slick guns.  But I don't regret just jumping in with my budget guns and starting in having a blast!  You don't have to own the slickest and the best to start.  It would have been wasted on me anyway.

Did any of you start up with "Budget" guns?

I started (a year ago) with a pair of pieta 58's with "drop in" 45 colt cylinders, a rossi 92 and a stevens 311... I now have a pair of stainless uberti 58's with gated kirst conversions in 45colt and kirst ejectors, the same rossi 92 (45also) and a single trigger stevens 315 I slicked up and cut down to 20"... I blew most of my 2018 SASS budget on those ubertis 58s ($500 a piece for the guns, $500 a piece for the conversions)

yeah... I know... im shooting over $2000 worth of cap and ball revolvers that aren't even originals... I could do much better guns for that kind of money!!!

my next big buy will probably be a pedersoli lightning rifle in 45colt... I shoot a 200grn bullet using the lee book "starting load" for trailboss so blowback with 45colt is not a big concern...

I do love my old 315 but I will be buying a single trigger stoeger in the future or maybe an '87... not sure yet...

I already had a couple suitable 12g SxS's and a blue .45 Blackhawk. I bought a new stainless 24" .45 Rossi '92 for $399.99, and a used stainless .45 Blackhawk for $285 and showed up for a match. :) The Blackhawks and '92 have gone down the road, but were replaced with PLENTY more. ;)

(edit) Ya know, I probably shot my first match with the blue .45 Blackhawk and either a .44 mag Interarms Virginian Dragoon, .44 mag Super Blackhawk or a .41 mag Blackhawk, all of which I already had. My initial outlay for the first match was probably just $399.99 for the Rossi '92.

:ph34r:  Had a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2" .44 mag. and a Rossi '92 .44 mag.  Figured I was halfway there, so with a month worth of scrounging I came up with a 5 1/2 " Blackhawk in .45  (kept me REAL alert at the loading table!) and a pawnshop Stoeger Uplander which I cut with a hacksaw.......Ratty leather and a shotgun slide, hat and boots from thrift shop, and away I went....YeeeHAWWW!  :D

I guess I had an advantage. I already had my FFL before I even heard of SASS and CAS. I always liked the look of a 66 so the 1st rifle I bought was a 24inch 66 44-40. Next was a Uberti  7 1/2 inch 75 Remington then a 5 1/2 inch OMV all in 44-40. About a year later I bought a 7 1/2 inch OMV 44-40. The last one was a Norinco hammered SxS, Yep it's pretty much a show and tell for what not to buy in a SxS.

All of these were before I ever went to a CAS match. Another year or so later after I shot some matches I added a 24 inch 73 44-40. J Bar Binks ended up with both OMV's and the 66 when I decided to go to 38's, I wasn't reloading at that time.  I still have the 73 and the 75 Remington 44-40's....plus a few others....including the Norinco. I kept it to remind myself what not to buy.

I kept a card listing some of my first purchases because, as I told my husband, "I'm keep track of my expenses just in case we decide we don't like this and I want to sell them."  HaHa.  Here we are nearly 20 years later.  Here's the list:

Ruger Vaquero (used)     $307.40 

Boots     $139.00

SASS Membership     $30.00

Vest     $39.00

Hat     $60.00

Ruger Vaquero (new)     $393.97

Gunbelt/Holsters     $304.22

I sewed his shirts and a few things for me.  We put suspender buttons on jeans.  

Still have my Vaqueros.  Wore out those first boots only a couple years ago.  Went life after about 3 years.  Not sure about that vest.  Still have my hat and that first set of leather too.

Started in March of 98. I have always been somewhat of a hoarder, or totally consumed with GAS(gear acquisition syndrome). But within the first year I had purchased at least 8 of the German SA from various importers, none were more than $150. Several Stevens, never more than $225. Used Rossi's were $200, used Marlin carbines were $225 to $275. The pawn shops I shopped sold used C&B's, none were more than $75 IIRC. Yes, the hunting was good back in those days.;)

Used .38 Stallion from local gun store:  $225

Found a matching Stallion online: $300

Used, slicked up '66 from here:  $500

Used, slicked up SxS from local match:  $200

Used clothes from here (full set):  $100

Hat from Amazon:  $40

Used leather from here:  $100

Used boots from eBay:  $40

Ammo for first match: $50

Fees and misc for first match: $50

TOTAL:  $1,605 to be fully outfitted with used stuff (older, but good quality).

Some might say that's still really expensive, others say it's a downright bargain.

Bought a new Winchester 94 Trapper in 44 mag in 1994 ,

Two Ruger stainless Vaquero s in 44 mag with 7 1/2 inch barrels

1897 Winchester pump shot gun  12 ga.

I sold the Winchester and bought a Browning 92 with Ogelsby action job

Since I have bought many others , some I still have and some have passed on

When I started rummaging through the safe, I discovered my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag (3 screw) and a OM Blackhawk 45 Colt (transfer bar). I thought I had a start until I saw the game was good. Then I met Marshall Harlan Wolf, Lone Dude, Splinter Hauser, and Doc One Eye. I wound up with two nickel plated, fire blued screws 4 3/4" Colts in 45 Colt. An 1873 20" Border Deluxe (first one in NC) and a tricked out 1897. MHW tricked out the Colts and Lone Dude tricked out the rifle and shotgun. I guess everyone knows that Lone Dude and Cody Conagher invented the short stroke on the 1873. And you can guess what happened to the budget.

I started in ~2008.

My first pair of new Ruger New Vaquero's cost right at $1,000.

A used Winchester '97 cost about $450.

A used Marlin 1894 Cowboy cost about $650, IIRC.

I bought leather from a local leather maker - about $300 for holsters/belt and shotgun belt.

So, almost $2,500 for stock guns and economical (but nice!) leather.

I'm sure I could have got better deals had I shopped around and/or bought the Ruger's used.  But I don't recall seeing a whole lot of used pistols at those matches I was attending back then.  Really, I don't see many guns advertised at the local matches I attend these days.

i started with used , cheap , borrowed and what i had , i slowly replaced with what i figured out that i liked and now what i want to add for the fun , i still stay very utilitarian and basic , 

I am the anti-hero in this story, not because I'm rich but nothing is cheap, when it comes to guns, in Australia:(

I started with a Uberti 1866 in 38spcl- $1700

Two Uberti El Patrons- $1700

Stoeger Coachgun- $600

Some clothing from the US (Cavalry pants, bib shirt, hat and rank slides)- about $300ish.

Mernickle leather about $500 shipped.

I was lucky that at the time the US/Aussie peso were closer matched than they are today.

In todays money that all comes to $3,628 USD

I was introduced to the game By Deuce Stevens  .

I was a local gun store buying a Winchester 9422 .

And Steve was a employee  of the store .

He asked me if I was in to cowboy guns or something ?

I said just about  all my guns  are Single action guns .

He asked me if I ever heard of Cowboy action shooting ?

Then proceeded to show me videos on the computer at the check out counter .

Steve said there was a local shoot that weekend and I should come check it out .

I went and watched on Saturday and was Hooked !

Every thing I always was Looking For !

I acutely had every thing I needed to start all the way down to Holsters and clothing .

I went home and built a gun cart that weekend and was at the Next Local Shoot !

Deuce has helped and gave me advice for the first few years I stated shooting the game .

I never become a speed shooter like him or a lot of others he helped get started .

But I have come to love the game .

PS. I wish my health let me shoot more then I can these days .

Thank you Steve for all the help in the start.

God bless

Rooster .    

I started with a 3 screw 41 mag Ruger blackhawk ($125), a ruger Vaqero in 45, a damascus barrelled house brand Belgian double($75) and a Browning centennial 44 mag ($375!).  Made my own holsters and hung them on Hunter cartridge belts.  What a mess at the loading table! 

I started, in 2002, with a Uberti 1858 cap and ball and a Rossi Puma in .44 mag, both of which I had for a number of years.

My new Pards loaned me a shotgun and a second pistol to shoot from a table, (since I only had one holster, a Slim Jim) and an old black belt the holster was hung on.

I wore a pair of jeans, a flannel shirt and my old riding hat.

I was hooked and started shopping.

I got hooked on this sport in 2000. My first rifle was a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt for $225. Had to be a 45, my SASS number was 45097. I started to look for pistols and a '97. I picked up a previously owned set of Old model Vaqueros in 45 for about $450,  but used my Dad's old sxs. Off I went to the local matches and had a great time.

The double was a Westernfield from Montgomery Wards that was purchased in the mid '60s. I didn't know enough about doubles at the time and thought that the made in Japan by Muroku made it a cheap shotgun. The firing pins would break and it was repaired three times. Little did I know that it was a BSS shotgun in disguise. It got sold and replaced it with a 20" '97 Win that was a State Penn guard gun. Moved on since then with a variety of cowboy arms, and never looked back. Times have changed and getting into this sport for a new shooter can be expensive.

(wish I had never sold that old double!)

When I started 14 years ago, I first bought a Used Set of Ruger Old Model Vaqueros for $800 for the pair, a brand new Navy Arms '92 for $550 and a Brand New 20 Ga. Double Barrel for $300... Total of $1700...  After a few years started using an Original '97 Shotgun that I picked up for $350 and had switched to Ruger Blackhawks to shoot in the Modern Category... Then I eventually went back to using my First Set of Old Model Vaqueros, bought a brand new '97 shotgun, then bit the bullet and got a slicked up Long Hunter '73...

So my original set of guns was just a hair more than my slicked up '73...

When I started i 97, I already had a 3 screw Blackhawk in .357 a New Model Blackhawk in .45 and a Winchester trapper in .45. I traded a Remington 1100 set up for pin shooting for a 20 gauge Stoeger and $300.00 cash . I had leather that I picked up at yard sales. I think my total expenditure was $700.00, but if you add in the $300.00 it brings it down to $400.00. Those were the days.

Then there are the cowboy boots, cowboy hat, suspenders, pants and shirts, holsters and belt plus a shotgun belt, a reloading machine for hand gun and rifle and another loading machine for the shotgun, powder, primers, bullets, scales, case prep devices, gun cart, umbrella, fans, ears, and eyes, gun cleaning kit, gun cleaning oil, bore cleaner, gun cases, and, and,.........................................................

3 minutes ago, Red Cent said:

Then there are the cowboy boots, cowboy hat, suspenders, pants and shirts, holsters and belt plus a shotgun belt, a reloading machine for hand gun and rifle and another loading machine for the shotgun, powder, primers, bullets, scales, case prep devices, gun cart, umbrella, fans, ears, and eyes, gun cleaning kit, gun cleaning oil, bore cleaner, gun cases, and, and,.........................................................

Yeah, but... most of us were already into some kind of shooting sport or another when we found CAS. There may be a few women or kids for whom CAS was their first experience with guns, but I'm sure most of us already had suitable clothing, reloading equipment, safety glasses, ear plugs/muffs, cleaning kits, etc. ;)

When I bought my "1858"s, they were used beaters.  Don't think I paid more'n 125.ea.  But new cylinders and innards for the Piettas were dirt cheap!  

At that time there were no short barrel versions.  So we made our own.  Cut down and crowned the barrel.  Subbed iv the Uberti front sights and loading lever latch.  Shortened the lever.  Then smooth the innards, reshape the spring, change to Ampex nipples... You got yourself a custom cap n ball pistol pair, cheap!

I'm not sure what year I started.  My Sass badge is in the 30000's.  I didn't really make many mistakes .  I had an 1851 .44 cap and ball already.  I bought a 357 Mag. Ruger and used it along with loading cap and ball until I could afford a second Blackhawk.  For the rifle, I did make a mistake.  I bought a Winchester 94 in .357 Magnum, not knowing that the 94 action is really more of a rifle cartridge design and is jam prone in pistol length cartridges.  I had to sell it, and got a Marlin in .45LC.  Problem solved.  A Rossi 92 is a good budget friendly gun as well.  I did notice that the fastest shooters used 73's.  

Eventually I figured out that you have to reload to really keep from going broke.  People get sticker shock on the guns in shooting games, but seriously if you can't afford the gun you sure won't be able to afford the ammunition.  That's where Lee came to the rescue with its little manual press, dies, and plastic powder dipper at an affordable price.  It's not fancy, but you really don't need that in SASS.  No more than I shoot, I can make the ammunition I need with a single stage press.

Maybe I shouldn't reply to this thread... it might seem discouraging.  When I started I had all the guns and leather... or thought I did!  I'd bought a 45 Colt 2nd Gen Colt, NIB, in 1972 when home on leave... IIRC it was $325.  That same year I'd bought a Winchester 94 in 44Mag while overseas... total cost $39.99.  In 1974 I found a beautifully refinished Riverside Arms side-by-side... (think Stevens 311).  It came home for $150.  I had a Bianchi gun belt and their Cheyenne holster for my Colt.  All I needed was for someone to think up cowboy action shooting. 

It went downhill for a while after that... someone broke into my apartment and stole the Winchester... luckily the Colt was in my car, and the shotgun was under the bed, a place the thieves didn't look!  I didn't replace the mdl 94 right away... no one had a 44Mag for sale at a price I could afford.  And, I wasn't in a place that I felt was secure enough to do so.

Then in 1975, someone wanted a chest of drawers that I'd built bad enough to trade me a .30-30 mdl 94 for it.  WooHOO, I'm back in business!  All I needed was for someone to invent cowboy action shooting!

In 1982, I was robbed again.  This time I had insurance... and all they took were my favorite toys... the ones that were most marketable... the Colt SAA, three 1911s, a Colt Gov't mdl, a National Match and a Combat Commander... They didn't take my cheapo shotguns or the everyday run-of-the-mill mdl 94... or my mdl 19 S&W, as that was my duty gun... and I was at work.  Insurance, after much dragging of feet and many letters and denials of less than adequate "replacements"... finally ponied up and got me new guns... All I needed was for someone to have told me cowboy action shooting had been invented!

Later that year, I read an article about the "End of Trail"... a western shooting competition, being held in SoCal... but didn't identify where or who was putting it on!  The article made it sound as tho' it was an "invitational" thing... and I didn't know how to be invited.

In 1985, the "powers-that-be" closed our department range while it underwent serious renovations.  In the interim we were to use a portion of an existing public range for our training and qualifying.  I'd been to that range many times, shooting my deer rifles, and plinking with the SAA... but, now I was going more often.  While there, I saw a fellar on the 50 yard line shooting a Marlin 1894 in .38.  He was wearing a t-shirt with End of Trail stenciled on the back.

I anxiously waited till he was finished with that string, (maybe they called a cease-fire, I don't remember... I just remember introducing myself and asking if he was involved in this "cowboy action shooting" thing!

A few weeks later I showed up at my first match... ready to rock & ROLL!

Seotjdpin-S.jpg

So, if you want to start cowboy action shooting on a budget, get yourself a Delorean... and start tinkering! 

I learned about SASS back when the numbers were in the 2000 range.  They started holding the 3000's for life members.  I lived in Illinois and there was no shoots closer than 200 miles.  The wife bought me a pair of second gen Colt Navy 1851's that are now engraved.  While waiting for a match I bought a Bill Grover SAA 7 1/2" barrel in .44mag/.44-40.  Then a ASM 1st model Scholfield from England came along.  I seen a Marlin in .45 Colt at the toy store that I picked up for under $400.  My brother gave me my uncles 12 ga double.  I had a hat, cowboy boots, blue jeans etc.  Wife wanted to go to Beloit, WI to see family.  There was a shoot at Rockford, I went.  Had enough time to get my membership before the shoot.  Shoot with a Texas Longhorn Arms SAA, ASM Scholfield, Marlin rifle, and a double.  That first shoot cost about $4000.  Still have the guns!

I have started several people over the years using 2 EAA's, a Rossi lever gun, and the cheapest working double they could find.  Have not shoot in 4 years due to health problems.

Archived