SASS Wire Forum

Tired of Your Lies

John Henry Quick

I'll leave the same message I left there:

Technically, it was the Ohio National Guard, the 148th Infantry, as called up by Governor Rhodes in their State civil disturbance capacity, not the U.S. government, that were responsible at Kent State.

Oh, "assault rifle" also has a meaning from a military standpoint, while "assault weapon" doesn't have any meaning other than what a politician wants it to mean.

Don't however let those quibbles take away from the overall message, with which I agree wholly.

The National Guard is a component of the US Army reserve.  Kind of on loan to the several states.  Unless the feds need it.

"Assault rifle." as used by capons in office and other anti-civil rights types, has no relation to the actual military meaning.

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The National Guard is a component of the US Army reserve.  Kind of on loan to the several states.  Unless the feds need it.

"Assault rifle." as used by capons in office and other anti-civil rights types, has no relation to the actual military meaning.

As a former member of the National Guard, I am going to beg to differ slightly. The Guard serves two masters, not merely being "on loan." As a Guardsman, I swore an oath to defend and protect the Constitution of the United States, as well as the State of Ohio, with both the President and Governor acting as Commanders in Chief. Both can activate the Guard, with the Governor having the ability to call out the Guard based on state emergency or and emergency in neighboring states under "Title 32" orders. For the federal government to activate the Guard under "Title 10" is a bit more complex of a process, and under certain portions of the law, requires the Governor's approval, depending on the emergency and nature of activation. Of course, the federal government can take precedence upon demand. At Kent State, the Guard had been called up by Governor James A. Rhodes in response to a State emergency, paid for by the State of Ohio, with no federal authority or orders whatsoever. So, regardless of their federal mission or federal authority over the Guard, it was a state response, not a federal one.

https://www.ngaus.org/sites/default/files/Guard Statues.pdf

I was careful to note "assault rifle" vs. "assault weapon." An assault rifle is a selective fire rifle, firing an intermediate cartridge from a removable magazine. As I'm sure you are aware the Sturmgewehr 44 rifle developed by Germany during WWII would be considered the first of the type. An "assault weapon" can mean any variety of semi-automatic rifles, based on a variety of primarily cosmetic, non-function related design elements.

And while I realize I can be pedantic, in this case, I believe these are differences worth noting.

If somebody gets their brains bashed in with a framing hammer I might argue that the framing hammer used had become an assault weapon. And I believe I would be correct. Would not a weapon used in an assault also be defined as an assault weapon regardless of its mechanical complexity or original design intent or even material of construction?

Now, if somebody gets their brains bashed in buy a cattle salt block, would that be considered an asalt weapon? :blink:

Grooooooooan.

Archived