SASS Wire Forum

looking for advice for my first time at EOT

Mojo Rising

This is my first time at EOT and I'm a new shooter. I have only been shooting for about 3 months. I am a little nervous shooting in such a big match. Looking for some advice and/or help.

Thanks in advance,

God bless

Mojo

Shooters of all skill levels participate in EOT.  Be safe and be a good posse member and you will do well.  A top ten finish is unlikely for a new shooter though a clean match is.  You might throttle back a bit and go for your white buffalo pin.  EOT needs shooters to step to the line and be ready to shoot without delay.  They have to move many shooters through a stage quickly in order to keep on schedule.  Since you live in the Texas panhandle the altitude and low humidity should not bother you much.  I don't spot for the very fastest shooters at EOT.  They hit the targets faster than my old eyeballs can move.  I've been on posses with World Champions several times.  Every one was a decent human being and an outstanding TO.  Expect to have a great time.  Bring plenty of spending money for shopping.

Best advise, after a long day of shooting stop in and see they bartenders. I hear they are GREAT!!!

Also everything that was stated above is correct. Just let your posse marshal know your a bit new to the game and they will watch out for you. If you don't feel comfortable counting at such a big match then don't, plenty of other ways to help out and keep the posse movin.

and don't forget to come by and say Howdy to your bartender!!1

H.Wolf

Don't be afraid to ask for advice, opinions and help. If you are social then go to the parties, entertainment and bbq's that take place in the evenings. If you are RV-ing at EOT then walk around and talk to your neighbors, they'll most likely offer you food and a drink. Talk to the vendors and participate in any side matches you'd like! No matter the skill level. Although most people there are competing to win, everyone is there for a FUN time with friends. So have fun. 

Mojo....

You'll do fine.  Hope you get on my posse, be glad to have you.

Get that cross draw holster working?

Look out for Last Chance, he might get you in trouble.:D

C U there

Thanks Billy,

I have done away with the cross draw and just pulling with each hand. Hopefully we can be on the same posse again. Learned a lot for you last time.  I am excited for it.

• 2 weeks later...

DRINK LOTS OF WATER!    Last few days at the Ranch have been 95 F and very dry.   Sunscreen, lip balm, even insect repellent since there is water standing in a couple of ponds on the ranch.

Be ready for 7000 feet altitude.  It will make you tired quickly if you are not used to it.    Take it easy on adult beverages because they contribute to you drying out and being tired.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for the advice. I had not thought about the altitude being an issue.  I will definitely keep that in mind. 

I also just started shooting CAS, 16 stag under my belt. I bought a gun cart off the classifieds, but it didn’t make in until after my first shoot. I put together a dolly cart in about an hr. Hopefully it shows up here( i’m Not a techie guy). You’re welcome to borrow it if you like. I’m about an hr north of I-20 ( Minden, LA) if that helps you

40BD92DC-2FC9-45A8-B1DA-CB725BE1DE49.jpeg

Thanks for the offer, but I have a cart I bought for Big Country recently.  Good luck in the sport. I hope you have lots of fun.

Mojo

Archived