SASS Wire Forum

Bored... let's talk about the Henry Big Boy!

McCandless

11 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The Henry .22's are great!;)

I've had a couple Henry .22's that work great, and my daughter won one at our state match two years ago, which, as far as I know, has also worked great. Her boyfriend has popped a lot of gophers out back of their house with it. :)

When I started CAS, I used a Winchester Trails End 94 with a John Wayne loop.  The naysayers on the wire vilified the 94 but my experience was that, while it was slow and a bit clunky, the rifle ran perfectly even though it was 45 Colt using BP.  I also use a Chaparral that has been vilified on the wire.  It is my favorite rifle.

The moral of the story is, some guns aren't as smooth as others but you can still enjoy the game.  

On 5/19/2018 at 2:22 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

Good, perhaps great, firearm for hunting, target shooting, or plinking. Probably the worst choice for CAS. But if you already have one bring it and shoot it. 

I had one. Traded it in on a Uberti 66 which I like much better. Agree +1 to what Tyrel Cody said.

On 5/20/2018 at 4:04 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Here ya go

Hardpan, this is the original 1860, not the Big Boy. I have one made by HRAC. It it a great rifle for target shooting and plinking and just to show off. And, I agree with what others have said about the Henry Company. A world class company with great service. However, for CA shooting, I'll stick with my short stroked 73.

On 5/19/2018 at 2:53 PM, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

The problem I have with it is the way you load it...thru the tube magazine. I know...that's the way the original Henry was loaded too. But for me it's very clumsy for loading.

The tube loading is the only reason I ever even consider a henry.  I can't stand how they look. 

as the legendary Ms Tammy said

After all that's happened

it doesn't matter anymore

(Phone Call)

when are we going to allow M1911 -- in any age-base category?

1 hour ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

as the legendary Ms Tammy said

(Phone Call)

when are we going to allow M1911 -- in any age-base category?

Probably soon...45 ACP is already allowed, apparently.

Oh, I love drama Pat.  Was that pure sarcasm or did you forget to put a smiley a the end?

His royalness, Anthony, told me that nobody sells a Henry. I invited him to look at the SASS Classifieds. As far as the rifle, he said he didn't care if it didn't do well in SASS competition. And no, I did not vote for accepting it as most of us did. Took the WB to approve it. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I don't know much about the Big Boy models but the Henry .22 lever rifles are nice and can be slicked up to be one of the finest feeling and fastest .22 lever rifles.

I gave my nice 9422 to my daughter after I set up my Henry .22 lever rifle.   

..........Widder

The inexpensive Henry 22lr lever gun is a lot for the money. And it can be made slicker than the ol' doorknob stuff. Easy to disassemble and grind away. Mine has a replaced front sight, an ivory bead that is super for speed. Too big for bench rest. 

11 hours ago, Red Cent said:

Oh, I love drama Pat.  Was that pure sarcasm or did you forget to put a smiley a the end?

His royalness, Anthony, told me that nobody sells a Henry. I invited him to look at the SASS Classifieds. As far as the rifle, he said he didn't care if it didn't do well in SASS competition. And no, I did not vote for accepting it as most of us did. Took the WB to approve it. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I did forget.

I always figured the Henry met the spirit of the game or the technical definition of the rules. I also figured if an 1897 shotgun is okay, Rugers are okay, why not the Henry? I have a Henry Single Shot 45-70. It is now legal for Plainsman and Long Range.

PAT,

now that you are on the mend and will probably be shooting again this summer, you and the Henry 45-70 might be sending shockwaves and trembling nerves thru the Cowboy ranks.

The thunderous 'BOOMS' can already be heard echoing thru the valley here in TN..... 

..... give em the ole 'whatfor'.

..........Widder

Archived