SASS Wire Forum

Using two types of shotguns

Good morning Pards. Just a question. Who here uses two different types of shotguns during a match? I personally am a 97 shooter but I like to carry my SKB with me and use it occasionally on certain shotgun sweeps. I want to be more proficient in the use of the SxS so I figured this is a good way of weening me into it without giving up the 97 completely and staying fast with them both. I pull the SxS from the cart when sweeps are split shotgun like two to the left and two to the right. Also with double tap swingers or when there's only two shotgun targets. I'm faster with the 97 right now so that's why I favor it. My only hiccup with the SxS is trying to load it smoothly.  I will fumble on occasion with it and some practice is what its going to take. It is an SKB 200 from Johnny Meadows so it not a problem with the shotgun, its all me! My SG belt is set up for pulling 4 as well as pulling 2. Thanks!

PM Cheyenne Culpepper:

I've seen him use a 97 on some stages & a double on others, which ever gun works best for that target array

https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/profile/10004-cheyenne-culpepper-32827/

--Dawg

I use a SXS for 2 targets. Use the 97 for 3 or more, although depending on the array, I may use the SXS for 3 or a split array where movement is required (for example 2 on one side of a wagon, move to the other side of the wagon for the last two).

I use to do that a lot.  Then I became Old and equally slow and it didn't matter.  Plus, I never thought a '97 was much for being "Cowboy."  Cowboy is a Side by Side with Exposed Hammers and just barely legal barrels.  It's called a "Coach" gun.  Of course, the foregoing is just my preference and may or may not have any bearing on what you want to accomplish at all.  If you choose to ignore this missive, I won't feel insulted at all.  Your call after all. 

Sometimes I use 3. My ttn hammered double mostly, but if a stage calls for only 2 I’ll use my 10 gauge greener. And I also have the 87 just in case it looks like a fun stage or if I’m already having a terrible match. Figure it can’t get worse, but it usually does. 

Your theory is sound, let the stage dictate which shotgun is best suited. Here’s an additional thing to think about when making that decision, how many times will you need to go to your belt? Let’s say there are six shotgun targets on the stage and you’re capable of pulling three shells at a time. That means you’d only have to go to your belt twice with a ‘97 but you have to go to the belt three times with your SKB. 

I found I was always more comfortable with a sxs after having a 97 on my cart for 3 years and only used it a couple times I sold it . I guess it what ever works the best for you (one or both)

I used a '97 today but carried a SxS in case there were flyers.  I shoot flyers better with a SxS.  When I'm shooting the smokey stuff I just shoot a SxS.

It takes more practice than just occasionally shooting a match with a double to become proficient.  Save the ''97 for Wild Bunch (where it shines), and concentrate on the double for CAS. ;)

I did used to use both,, and still drag the 97 out occasionally, but it takes a lot of work to be really good with both,,

i too drag the 97 as a backup , it was never my "go-to" gun , im not real good with it - i know practice i just dont have time right now , i like both , ill dtill use both but i swerve to the double most of the time , it feels most comfortable , i will admit - im not good , i just shoot , i love the game and will not let such stop me from playing , if you like them shoot them , its all about enjoying what you do here ,  

Archived